Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

My water bottle tripped me and I could have been hurt

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 05-15-21, 07:00 PM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

Gosh. My water bottle has fallen off my bike before but his time it fell off and tripped me while riding. I almost lost my balance and there were several cars moving.

Has anyone experienced this? I might no longer be able to carry water on my bike. Now my bottles were regular grocery store bottles. I guess they’re too small for the holders.
Likes For DreamRider85:
Old 05-15-21, 07:12 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Gosh. My water bottle has fallen off my bike before but his time it fell off and tripped me while riding. I almost lost my balance and there were several cars moving.

Now my bottles were regular grocery store bottles. I guess they’re too small for the holders.
You really think so? I couldn't resist. Sorry. I have a dedicated aluminum bottle that I keep clean. It fits snug and doesn't require touching the spout where you drink. CONTIGO(sp)
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 05-16-21, 02:11 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
"if water bottles dont fit they may fall out" ~ captain obvious
Old 05-18-21, 09:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Has anyone experienced this?
Yes.

I might no longer be able to carry water on my bike.
Well carry something else besides water. Gatorade, Vitamin Water, diluted fruit juice. But if you don't get bottles that properly fit your bottle cages, then they'll have a good chance of falling out as a bottle full of water. Or perhaps breaking the cage or deforming it to the point that those bottles start falling out again.

Now my bottles were regular grocery store bottles. I guess they’re too small for the holders.
I have liked using a particular brand of Gatorade bottles. About a 24 fl oz bottle. I'd get them at convenience stores. Never saw them in grocery stores for whatever reason. I'd pour out the contents and put my own water or mix in them. However, they changed the bottle shape on me since my previous acquisition of them a couple years ago. So now they rattle around in my bottle cage and likely will bounce out at some point.

So since I figure having loose bottles flying off my bike isn't a good thing for me or others around me, I guess I'll have to get a proper fitting bottle. Most bottles sold as bicycle bidons do tend to fit bicycle bottle cages well.

Much better than risking that I get this fear of carrying water on a bike you talk about. What would that be? Hydroportarecyclistaphobia <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-18-21, 09:32 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts

Has anyone experienced this? I might no longer be able to carry water on my bike. Now my bottles were regular grocery store bottles. I guess they’re too small for the holders.
Get Proper Size Bottles. Goodwill will have some to choose from.

Old 05-18-21, 10:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Get a beer can hat.
Old 05-18-21, 10:59 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts

Keeping stuff secure on a bicycle is very important. Crashes can be bad. Waterbottles coming out have caused many crashes. Preventing that from happening isn't hard. Use bottles that fit securely in that cage or get a different bottle or cage. Most plastic bicycle waterbottles work well in most waterbottle cages. Some cages can be adjust somewhat to better fit bottles. (Steel cages such as the old TAs and the easily available King cages. Don't "adjust" aluminum cages beyond very slight tweaks as they age or they will break on you, probably while riding.)

Some of the newer bottle cages are designed to handle a variety of bottles. I have zero experience with them so I will say no more.

The same attention should be paid to bags and panniers, anything on a rack, anything attached to your handlebars, sticks on the road ... I know I sound like a fuddy-duddy saying this but I've been riding and around bikes all my life. I seen a lot of stuff and experienced some. A very preventable crash cost me much of my professional life, years, thousands of dollars, opportunities. A crash from poor bungee cord management cost a symphony level flute player her embouchure and tone (for the rest of her life). My dad's best friend was lucky to be young and still immortal when he crashed doing stupid stuff around his front wheel.

Bicycles are inherently dangerous toys. They are also the gift of freedom. I love the freedom, have paid my dues and ride on, doing my best to be conscientious. This doesn't take a bunch of money, It does mean paying attention.

The cheap solution to the ill fitting bottle you have to carry? Get a secure rubber band, velcro strap ... Yes, drinking while riding won't be possible (without other risks) but the crash you saw won't happen again.
Old 05-18-21, 03:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Get a beer can hat.
I can just see the thread: “Worried about getting heat stroke from my beer can hat.”
Old 05-18-21, 05:47 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
I have a front bag that had its strap get loose and almost kill me.
endo into steet
do a pre flight
Not funny
Don't die

That said , have you ever seen what can be done by a frame pump?

Last edited by bikebikebike; 07-10-21 at 08:41 PM.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 05-28-21, 12:58 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 486 Posts
I use stainless steel 27oz Klean Kanteens,and even though they fit well in my carriers, I have, when fatigued, fumbled (but never dropped) them before. It has occurred to me that these steel bottles, if dropped, could easily take down a bike.
I am extra careful with them when with my club.
Old 05-28-21, 01:01 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 486 Posts
Bikebikebike, We're glad you survived that malfunction. I had a frame pump (relatively valuable Bluemels) fall off from having inadequate length/tension.
It smashed as I rode over it, but didn't land in the spokes. Is that what you mean?

Last edited by 1989Pre; 07-11-21 at 05:29 AM.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 05-30-21, 03:07 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts

Can you provide a picture of your bottle cage, and of your water bottle? The bottles'(Gatorade, seltzer water, etc.) from the grocery store, even in the small sizes. Are not made for bottle cages' on bikes'. They can have a different circumference, and diameter. At their widest point. The cage can also make a difference. While the standard bottle will fit in a standard bottle cage. I upped the size of my bottle cage. So I could accommodate a 1L bottle. Also, The standard bottle cages don't have straps on them. My 1L cage does.
Old 05-30-21, 03:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
You need to send a report here about disposable water bottles being undersized for bicycle cages.

A mighty serious issue that needs immediate government attention.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-30-21, 03:54 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
...I almost lost my balance and there were several cars moving. Has anyone experienced this?
Ha - I don't even need a water bottle to do this. A better question would be how many of use have tripped or lost balance on things that were not even there. Now days when I ride I make sure I have a plan on where to place my next fall. And I'm not even mountain biking.

We all need to heed our warnings, check our gear, and continue to learn from our mistakes...
Old 05-30-21, 05:39 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I have had bottles fall out on bumpy tracks.

I bent one bottle holder so the bottom is slightly narrower. Then put some bottles in upside down, with the neck of the bottle going through the bottom of the bottle holder. The wider section, just below the lid, locks it in place. It is a bottle holder like this.

I have another one which is adjustable for different sized bottles, like this.

Old 05-31-21, 09:37 AM
indyfabz

Stock photos. Hmmmm?
Old 05-31-21, 10:01 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
You need to send a report here about disposable water bottles being undersized for bicycle cages.

A mighty serious issue that needs immediate government attention.
No!!! Get CPSC involved and they will certainly find serious fault with the King cages, require changes to some monstrosity and put them out of business. Just the fact that a King cage can be easily bent to fit those smaller bottles makes them very suspect. CPSC probably has on file the case of some 7 year old who hurt himself on the 13th cycle between fitting a regular bottle and being squeezed down to fit the smaller one. ("Ma! I can bend it just like Dad!")
Old 06-01-21, 08:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Another OP that's gone missing.
Old 06-01-21, 09:15 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Aquafina bottles from the local convenience store have a little rib (or valley) molded into it that snaps just right into whatever kind of cage I have on my bike currently. Nice and secure.

And eventually when I've re-used the same bottle long enough that it starts getting scratched or unsightly, a brand new one is waiting for me at the store. Full of water. Bonus!
Old 06-03-21, 12:51 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I have never once had a water bottle fall out of its cage. Guess I'm just lucky. But I use insulated water bottles and make sure they stay snug in the cages. And of course the hydration pack I wear on my back on long, hot rides never falls off.
Old 06-03-21, 12:52 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Iride01
It's his M.O.
Old 06-03-21, 12:55 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
I've dropped & struck a proper bike bottle. broke the nozzle off ;-(

I've forgotten my bike bottle & just grabbed the common water bottle from my car, more than once. in those cases I bend the cage making it tighter. I guess you can't do that w/ plastic cages
Old 06-04-21, 09:45 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Some folks, me included, don't hang out on the site all day. I usually am on for a while in the morning, and try to respond the next day to any replies that warrant a reply. Give us missing Ops a little slack...
Old 06-04-21, 10:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Some folks, me included, don't hang out on the site all day. I usually am on for a while in the morning, and try to respond the next day to any replies that warrant a reply. Give us missing Ops a little slack...
It's been 20 days now. The OP is not giving any guidance to the thread they started. If you look at many of the posts the OP has made, it doesn't seem like the OP wants to have a conversation with anyone.
Old 06-04-21, 01:35 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's his M.O.
It's been 20 days now. The OP is not giving any guidance to the thread they started. If you look at many of the posts the OP has made, it doesn't seem like the OP wants to have a conversation with anyone.
Why do you think the OP is under some kind of obligation to give further "guidance," or any response at all to other posters?

What would the OP gain by responding to the handful of posters who have an MO/track record of mocking him as well as numerous other posters who post on subjects that bore these would be moderating-Columbos? This handful of Kool Kidz routinely post popcorn eating gifs, insults, "I-B-T-L" attempts to shut down the "unworthy" subject, and other snarky memes, as well as accusations of the suspicious activity of alleged trolls, sockpuppets and other unworthy posters not considered serious or "enthusiastic" enough about "serious" cycling topics to post in the company of themselves.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 06-04-21 at 01:39 PM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.