Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

VA to Key West Tour ends short

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-27-21, 05:56 PM
Turkey222

Bikes: Novara Safari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

On Tuesday, I had my tour to Key West end 30 miles from Florida on US 17 by a pickup truck. This section of roadway near Waverly had two lanes for the south direction and was pretty low traffic volume at the time. Line of sight was pretty clear as well. I was highly focused on pedaling through some headwind and knee/thigh pain and not too focused on passing traffic.

Reminder not to be complacent when riding even if the road conditions seem pretty low risk. Now my vacation and summer is ruined by a broken collar bone, but luckily not my life.
Old 05-27-21, 06:22 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
That is too Bad,. Just to clarify: Did the passing truck clip your left hand/ handlebar/ or and mirror, forcing the handlebars to twist and you went sailing over the bars?
Old 05-27-21, 07:36 PM
Turkey222

Bikes: Novara Safari

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by headwind15
That is too Bad,. Just to clarify: Did the passing truck clip your left hand/ handlebar/ or and mirror, forcing the handlebars to twist and you went sailing over the bars?
Not too sure on what he hit. I just remember feeling the impact.
Old 05-28-21, 12:11 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
That's terrible. I am glad you were not hurt worse.

Good luck for your full and speedy recovery.
Old 05-28-21, 12:14 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
I lived in Florida for seventeen years. I and friends had many encounters with people intentionally being rude and dangerous. I never had any broken bones but was injured by a hard insulated big gulp cup thrown at my backside. I petite young lady who road with a group I pedaled with on the weekends had road rash because some idiot in a pickup came over on her so the passenger could grab her hind side. Best wishes and I hope you heal up soon.
Old 05-28-21, 04:06 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Back in Jan 2020 I did 4 days of biking from Venice FL to Jacksonville that included a lot of biking on 17 - I hated almost every mile. Very high speed traffic, there was usually a shoulder but the shoulder was always trashed up and disappeared at every small town. The big trucks would usually move over to the left, the pickup trucks and RVs would not - trailers and RV mirrors were whizzing by my left ear constantly.

When one of those nice truckers would go by I'd shout into the wind "Thanks, Brother Trucker!." When when of those pickup trucks or RVs would go by I'd shout out a phrase that rhymed but isn't suitable for a PG-rated cycling forum...
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 05-28-21, 04:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Heal well!

And:

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...bers-read.html
Old 05-29-21, 06:14 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Sorry for your mishap. I have done 100's of cycling miles in that state. I am not a fan of it, though wonderful winter destination. I have been turning my winter cycling focus to Arizona these days.
​​​​​​Hope you heal quickly.
Old 05-30-21, 07:36 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I noticed the same as I rode SR 79 in Arizona from AJ to Tucson. Two lane highway. Semi-trucks were OK, and even the numerous RVs weren't so bad -- it was the cars / pickup trucks pulling trailers!!!

Follow me here - the car/or truck is one width that the diver is most used to. Then you add the wider trailer. That's bad enough, but then you add the 'California mirror'/ or 'towing mirrors' on the pickups that sticks out even wider than the 8.5'-wide trailer... THAT's where we run into trouble!!! Those damn things stick out more than a foot-and-a-half past the passenger compartment of the vehicle. Most drivers aren't thinking that!
Old 05-31-21, 08:35 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I lived in Florida for seventeen years. I and friends had many encounters with people intentionally being rude and dangerous. I never had any broken bones but was injured by a hard insulated big gulp cup thrown at my backside. I petite young lady who road with a group I pedaled with on the weekends had road rash because some idiot in a pickup came over on her so the passenger could grab her hind side. Best wishes and I hope you heal up soon.
You couldn't pay me to live there. Although many well off residents live in Naples in the winter and come back to Maryland in the Summer......
Old 06-05-21, 07:11 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Georgia's not much different. I have reduced my road useage to the minimum. Less than a mile of it (not counting the low speed subdivisions) on a 6.5 mile commute and all the problems are on that short mile. A$$holes and gasholes fuel each other.