Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Storage Ideas

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike Storage Ideas

Old 08-11-21, 11:42 AM
joonyoung82

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bike Storage Ideas

What's the best way to store road bikes without breaking the bank?
Old 08-11-21, 12:21 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by joonyoung82
Need a little more info regarding your situation. Do you mean in a small apartment? Do you have to store it outdoors? In the garage of your house? Etc?

I’m in the latter of that situation and most of my several bikes are in the garage that has a high ceiling, with three of them being suspended from the overhead with one of those ceiling-mounted pulley contraptions that you can get for around $20 US dollars.

Dan
Old 08-11-21, 12:36 PM
cave12man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed with Dan above, a little more info is needed, but if storing indoors and space is an issue, I've used one of these in an apartment before with pretty good results.

https://www.nashbar.com/transit-bike...chaa2?v=932678
Old 08-11-21, 06:28 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
This is my garage setup.... Steadyracks for the win

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-11-21, 07:22 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
By leaning it against a wall of your dwelling?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-12-21, 08:41 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
I’d be interested to see what good ideas people have for outdoor storage. I have a garage but its not a garage… and we have a shed for bikes but it’s full. So I have 3 that stay outside under those fabric bike covers from amazon. Something better would be nice though. For now some of the bikes are stuck with being under covers. If it was dry here I’d be fine with that but we live near the beach so even being covered eventually rust comes back especially on my vintage bikes
Old 08-12-21, 09:04 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
I’d be interested to see what good ideas people have for outdoor storage. I have a garage but its not a garage… and we have a shed for bikes but it’s full. So I have 3 that stay outside under those fabric bike covers from amazon. Something better would be nice though. For now some of the bikes are stuck with being under covers. If it was dry here I’d be fine with that but we live near the beach so even being covered eventually rust comes back especially on my vintage bikes
Can you not build a small bike shed that is a little more weather resistant? There are plans for free for something like a 6x6 or 7x7 shed that you can insulate.all over the internet. A friend of mine built one next to his wife's garden shed. I believe it was 7x7. He insulated it, put up some wall wheel mounts and it keeps his bikes nice and dry. He lives out near the beach in very humid Florida and has not had any issue with corrosion.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-13-21, 01:12 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,462 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by joonyoung82
Well, this $11 wall hanger is what I use in my garage:

Amazon.com : delta Cycle Leonardo Da Vinci Single Bike Storage Rack Hook Hanger with Tire Tray for Vertical Indoor Garage ( color may vary : Bike Racks : Sports & Outdoors
Old 08-13-21, 05:26 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,388 Times in 2,733 Posts
I agree, leaning against a wall will be most economical.