Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixie frame with vintage 126mm wheel

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 09-17-21, 04:32 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts

I've made fixies/ss out of vintage bikes, some with 120mm (5-speed) spacing, some with 126mm (6-speed) spacing. I've used flip-flop hub/wheels and I've used 6-speed wheels with a ss freewheel. But I've never had a fixie/track frame until now. Someone gave me one missing its rear wheel.

So, I'm thinking of cold-setting the frame to 126, and using an old 126mm wheel with ss freewheel. Seems reasonable with maybe a sub-optimum chainline.

Thoughts? Warnings?
Old 09-17-21, 04:40 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Could you remove 3mm of spacers on each side to convert the existing wheel to 120mm? This seems a better approach in the long run.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-17-21, 05:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by sunburst
So, I'm thinking of cold-setting the frame to 126, and using an old 126mm wheel with ss freewheel. Seems reasonable with maybe a sub-optimum chainline.
Why on earth would you do this? 126mm freewheel hubs can be easily re-spaced to 120mm. Do it the right way, and the chainline will be better, too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-17-21, 05:44 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Why on earth would you do this? 126mm freewheel hubs can be easily re-spaced to 120mm. Do it the right way, and the chainline will be better, too.
well, I never would have thought of that, but duh(!) it makes sense. I will take that approach and report back. I've cold-set so many frames that that's where my mind immediately goes.
Old 09-17-21, 10:05 PM
sunburst

wait, my 126mm wheel is the standard hollow axle with skewer. If I respaced the OLD for 120mm, I'd have 3mm sticking out on each side. Wouldn't I have a clamping problem with a too-long axle? Would I have to hacksaw the axle to correctly size it? Trying to visualize before I wrench ...
Old 09-18-21, 09:46 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by sunburst
wait, my 126mm wheel is the standard hollow axle with skewer. If I respaced the OLD for 120mm, I'd have 3mm sticking out on each side. Wouldn't I have a clamping problem with a too-long axle? Would I have to hacksaw the axle to correctly size it? Trying to visualize before I wrench ...
Yep, hacksawing the axle is what I do when respacing a hub for a shorter OLD. You don't have to cut 3mm off each side, just cut about 6mm off one side. Put a nut on the axle inboard of the part you're cutting off so that it will chase the threads when you remove it afterward.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 09-18-21 at 09:57 AM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-21-21, 01:22 AM
roadbike203

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep, hacksawing the axle is what I do when respacing a hub for a shorter OLD. You don't have to cut 3mm off each side, just cut about 6mm off one side. Put a nut on the axle inboard of the part you're cutting off so that it will chase the threads when you remove it afterward.
That's some great advice. I've been trying to figure out how to do that the best way.
​​​
Old 10-21-21, 07:30 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
While I'm not afraid of cold-setting a frame if absolutely necessary, I'd try very hard not to if possible! There is always a chance it will end up badly.
Old 10-21-21, 09:18 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I would swap out the rear axle for a solid axle and space it to whatever you need.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 10-25-21, 06:21 PM
sunburst

someone gave me a wheel that measured about 124mm. I spun on a 17T freewheel I had in my spares and squeezed it into the dropouts with little effort. It was centered between the brake caliper, and the chainline wasn't bad either. It was as easy as that. The bike felt great and the gearing is about ideal for me, 46x17.
Likes For sunburst: