Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Just A Song Before I Go

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Just A Song Before I Go

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-21, 07:21 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Just A Song Before I Go

Took the day off of work yesterday and went riding with some friends.. Got up the High Country. (Ned to Winter Park and back. Yes, It was fun but I'm beat.!!) Crap, just about froze my butt off! I really need good winter gloves. I'm thinking of Skiing gloves but I'm not sure. What is warmer? What do folks on this list use for their commute and riding around?
Old 11-03-21, 07:42 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'd be interested what others think. I've always subscribed to the layers for various ranges method.

50s - thin neoprene or woven synthetic gloves, single layer
40s - same as 50s, but add a felt over-layer with wind stop mitten flap, a double layer
30s - change to insulated ski glove, single layer
20s - wool army liner, covered by snowboarding mitten (windproof and insulated), a double layer
10s - same as 20s, but add a neoprene layer against the skin first, a triple layer

I also have neoprene bar mitts for my road bike. They are quite warm and windproof, so you need only a thin glove within them. I don't have bar mitts for my straight bar MTB yet.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 11-03-21, 10:15 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Neoprene works for some, but not for all. I tried Neoprene a few times and it causes my hands to sweat. Below freezing that made them colder. Like Phil_gretz I use layers. Even in cold I find I need some kind of breathability.

50F and above half-finger bike gloves.
38F-50F full-finger cotton gloves sometimes over half-finger bike gloves.
32F-50F leatherette Thinsulate gloves with light cotton gloves over (for nose wipes).
20F-32F Thinsulate snow gloves...but not so heavy
07F-20F Thinsulate snow gloves with cotton gloves underneath.

I also tried various mittens (fingers should be warmer sharing their heat) but the Thinsulate snow-gloves I found a few years ago are just perfect, and work better than the mittens I've tried.

One other thing...I find that loosening my grip, changing hand position fairly often and shaking hands out occasionally help with blood flow and warmth. Plus when I changed my snow bike from straight bars to drop bars, my hands seem warmer.

Anyway, as with feet in winter, coverings should be loose to allow for good blood-flow. If additional layers to feet and hands cause tightness, blood flow will be restricted and extremities will feel cold. This is more difficult with hands since fingers are usually bent, which may cause pinch points while wearing thick gloves.

Also remember, sweaty hands get cold.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-03-21, 11:10 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I've been a fan of deerskin chopper mitts for a long time. Simple, large leather mittens that one traditionally wore wool mittens under. Designed for chopping wood. I but them XL or XXL if they have then. (LL Beans was my source forever but now I just duck-duck chopper mitts. Most of the hits are the same mitt but you can pay twice as much at a high end motorcycle site. I treat them with SnowSeal or now Obenhauf's Heavy Duty LP. My cobbler recommends it and no longer carries SnowSeal.)

For riding, the big pluses are the very wide range of temps. Good liners take me down to the low twenties- when I was young I could commute 12 miles at -5F to +5F (warmed significantly as I rode into the city). Pull the liners out and they're good into the '70s. I lose some hand positions because they are mitts but gain some because the wonderful leather doesn't slip so there are positions that would be tiring in the summer that now work really well. Also the convenience. They go on and off fast and easily. I can pull one off (with liner still inside) to reach into pockets with my bare hand and eat, then put it back on while riding easily. Being mittens, not gloves, my hands rewarm after a skin to cold steel or aluminum tire or bike repair.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-03-21, 01:52 PM
Colorado Kid

Good folks! What about the double liner Military gloves that some of our Vets wore? (Light weight liners and then a tough Leather mitt glove over that.) Has anyone wore that in the service? A local Military surplus outfit is selling them cheap. ($ 30.00 USD ) I wonder if they are warm enough for bicycle commuting?.
Old 11-03-21, 02:02 PM
Colorado Kid

They are something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Military-Wood...s%2C82&sr=8-50 This is from Amazon and not my local outfitter.
Old 11-04-21, 01:14 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
They are something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Military-Wood...s%2C82&sr=8-50 This is from Amazon and not my local outfitter.
those mittens were awesome… best hand protection the government ever gave me… until they redesigned them and made the shells out of gortex and the liners were some kind of synthetic fleece. Those were even better. With all that said, I’m looking at either the pair you linked or these

https://www.kuiu.com/products/norths...40536045093022