Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where Does Amtrak Store Bikes On The Pacific Surfliner?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 04-16-22, 11:08 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I asked a conductor on the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner what they do with bikes (assuming there is a bike reservation in place), and he wasn't sure. All he could tell me was they go somewhere else in the train.

Anyone know? How safe are the bikes?

I was in the business class car, I'm not sure if the conductor was new, only works that car, or what. From my perspective, I would prefer to park myself in close proximity to the bike.
Likes For ZippyThePinhead:
Old 04-16-22, 11:49 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
I asked a conductor on the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner what they do with bikes (assuming there is a bike reservation in place), and he wasn't sure. All he could tell me was they go somewhere else in the train.

Anyone know? How safe are the bikes?

I was in the business class car, I'm not sure if the conductor was new, only works that car, or what. From my perspective, I would prefer to park myself in close proximity to the bike.
normally, the bikes go in the northernmost car. you hafta indicate you have a bike (option online or on the app at no charge) when you purchase ticket. if you don’t indicate you have a bike during your purchase, good chance they won’t let you board with it. the seats in the car where you store the bike are handicapped-rated so if you are not handicapped and that car fills up, you will need to move. all that said, i sit in that car approx half the time but always lock the bike with my own lock because you never know. they do not supply any locking system (like you would have for a locker at the airport, amusement park, train station, etc).

Last edited by diphthong; 04-18-22 at 02:02 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 04-17-22, 03:02 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 986 Posts
Its the car at the end of the train without the engine, so could be either in the first car or the last car on the train. Look for the car with the blue bicycle logo graphic and a small blue light on the side as it pulls into the station, and be diligent about getting on-and off as the Surfliner is a commuter train and doesn't stop for very long at most stations. And as ooga-booga mentioned, reserve in advance as the bicycle spaces can fill up and you'd be denied boarding with your bicycle if all spaces were already booked. The Amtrak Surfliner website is pretty detailed when it comes to carrying bicycles. .
Likes For skidder:
Old 04-18-22, 10:45 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
There's a bike car with an isolated bike storage area with about ~12 spaces that's usually on the end of the train. There are like 8 seats in the bike storage area and many more on the second level and passenger area.
Likes For Elvo:
Old 04-18-22, 08:29 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
There's a bike car with an isolated bike storage area with about ~12 spaces that's usually on the end of the train. There are like 8 seats in the bike storage area and many more on the second level and passenger area.
Does this "isolated bike storage area" include any means for securing the bike?
Old 04-18-22, 09:16 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Does this "isolated bike storage area" include any means for securing the bike?
https://www.santabarbaracarfree.org/...ke-on-transit/
Likes For Elvo:
Old 04-19-22, 12:10 AM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Very helpful replies, many thanks...
Old 04-23-22, 07:18 PM
sslonkosky

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
All the Surfliners I have been on had space for only 6 bikes. I haven’t seen any that had space for 12.

I have a folding bike so I can fold it up and lock it to a luggage rack. If I put my bike in one of those six spots instead I have always stayed in that area of the train because, unlike the Metrolink, there’s no way to lock the bike to anything.
Old 07-16-22, 11:02 PM
igorgroks

Bikes: Masi Fixed Speciale.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
That's the Metrolink, not the Amtrak. Last time I took Amtrak they put the bike in the baggage car.
Old 07-25-22, 12:58 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by igorgroks
That's the Metrolink, not the Amtrak. Last time I took Amtrak they put the bike in the baggage car.
The Pacific Surfliner I took in June from Anaheim to Union Station had room for 6 bikes in-car. While there were seats by the bike area, they were already taken by non-bike passengers. I locked my bike to a rail with an Ottolock and went to sit upstairs. Beyond that, you'd have to box it and check it as luggage. When I switched to the Coast Starlight in LA, I had to get the bike claim-tagged inside the station then I took it to the baggage car and gave it to them. They only have so many spots for unboxed bikes, after that it has to be boxed or in a case and checked as baggage. I highly suggest buying your tickets well in advance to get a carry-on bike spot.
Old 07-25-22, 06:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
The Pacific Surfliner I took in June from Anaheim to Union Station had room for 6 bikes in-car. While there were seats by the bike area, they were already taken by non-bike passengers. I locked my bike to a rail with an Ottolock and went to sit upstairs. Beyond that, you'd have to box it and check it as luggage. When I switched to the Coast Starlight in LA, I had to get the bike claim-tagged inside the station then I took it to the baggage car and gave it to them. They only have so many spots for unboxed bikes, after that it has to be boxed or in a case and checked as baggage. I highly suggest buying your tickets well in advance to get a carry-on bike spot.
Yep. The earlier the better. And people need to understand that a reservation for the bike on the Surfliner is is required.

Bring Your Bike Onboard the Train | Amtrak