Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using ultegra R8000 with 105 system?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-04-22, 09:22 AM
torbjotu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I have recently bought a Wahoo Kicker Core for indoor cycling, it already had installed a shimano ultegra R8000 11-speed cassette but the bicycle im using - a Trek Madone 3.1 has shimano 105 gearing system, with a CS-4600 10-speed cassette installed on the backwheel. I already tried to adjust the gear system to the ultegra cassette but didnt find the result optimal. My question is wether i should buy a new cassette for the Wahoo and if so - which one would you reccommend? Can i expect a better result with a 10-speed 105-cassette than with the 11-speed ultegra?
Thanks in advance for all responders!
Old 05-04-22, 09:51 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Obviously (or not) you can't use an 11 speed cassette with a bike that has a 10 speed drivetrain and expect it to work properly. You need to get a 10 speed cassette and use the 1.8mm spacer that probably came w/ your Kicker...if not you need to get one of those spacers as well.
Old 05-06-22, 05:56 AM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Yep, as noted...replace the 11 speed with a 10 speed and you should be golden.