Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Phatcycle Project Bike

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Phatcycle Project Bike

Old 05-09-22, 05:31 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts
Phatcycle Project Bike

Picked up a Phatcycle cruiser type bike today off FB Marketplace for $20. It is a basket case. It is a PROJECT:

/From the FB ad.

While I'm tearing it down tonight, I'll be thinking about the options before me with this bike. It's a fairly light aluminum frame and I think it might make an interesting rat rod bike.

Looks like someone already started to remove the paint from the frame. I'm toying with stripping all the paint from the frame and leaving it bare. Have any of you guys and gals done this with an aluminum frame? If I do this, should the frame be protected with a clear coat or something else?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!
Old 05-11-22, 03:16 PM
GeezyRider 

Frame stripped

It took two days but I got pretty much all the paint off the frame:

The only salvageable Phat Cycles decals are on the fork so I will keep the fork original with just some cleaning and polishing.
Old 05-13-22, 10:08 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Looks good like that; I'd consider removing all of the paint, then clear coating. You'll have a unique looking bike.
Old 05-14-22, 09:35 AM
GeezyRider 

Phat Cycles cruiser frame details

It's a rainy Saturday and I'm experimenting with possibly adding gearing to my aluminum Phat Cycles single speed cruiser. I put a six speed freewheel on an extra 20 inch rim and mounted it along with a derailleur and shifter onto the frame. The single speed wheel that came with the bike (I believe it is original) had a hub spacing of 130mm and the 20 inch test wheel I am using is spaced at 135mm. I was relieved that the 135mm wheel went into the dropouts rather easily. And, the cheap Tourney derailleur and indexed thumb shifter moved the chain up and down the freewheel crisply and easily.

But what is really interesting is the Phat Cycles frame. As you can see in this picture, this single speed cruiser frame has a derailleur hanger and mounting options for coaster, linear pull or disc brakes. Not pictured are the cable guides for a front derailleur as well. It's like this frame is the Swiss Army Knife of cruiser frames.

Look at all those options for brakes!

I think this bike is going to be so much fun to ride, tinker and experiment with!
Old 05-16-22, 10:05 AM
GeezyRider 

Phatty is shaping up

The bike is close to being ready to ride. I had to order a seat post because this one is past the minimum insertion point. Also, none of the handlebars I have on hand are quite what I want. So I won't be cutting cables or cable housings until I find the right handlebars.

Old 06-26-22, 08:37 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
That is weird. You should put all three brakes on it. I'd keep the fork, just because it has linear pull mounts, and is a spaded fork- something I wish I could find for my Cranbrook.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 06-27-22, 08:33 AM
GeezyRider 

Definitely keeping the fork!