Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Adjusting Bite Point 4 Piston Deore XT

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-22-22, 08:20 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts

I searched but didn't see much.

I just purchased a new mountain bike. I was a little concerned with the bite point of the brakes just cruising around the neighborhood but wanted to get it in some dirt to see if my opinion changed.

It didn't. The brakes (like the title says) are Shimano Deore XT 4 Piston hydraulic brakes

The brakes are plenty firm and don't feel soft at all but the lever requires more travel than I like. I am pretty picky about this ....I want brakes and I want 'em now when I touch the lever !!

The XT levers have lever adjustment and a bite point screw. Unfortunately this was already all the way in. My question is should I adjust the bite point adjust out and bleed (or add fluid) and then adjust the bite point in to get a shorter travel ? I would think that they should be adjustable enough to get instant feel on the lever. Adjusting the lever did not make a difference. I had plenty of brake on the trail but couldn't really "one finger" the lever to scrub off speed because it would start to hit my middle finger on the grips.

I don't feel this is any kind of huge problem I'm just picky about stuff like this. I was sort of wondering if they were like this to keep people from inadvertently braking when covering the brake and riding gnarly terrain.

Any thougts or tips are appreciated.
Old 08-22-22, 09:13 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Those brakes are designed (as are all hydraulic brakes) to NOT be like you want them. They are designed with more lever pull so you have more control (modulation). As brakes have become more powerful it's gotten worse to have 'light switch' zero modulation brakes. If the lever is hitting your fingers move it away from the grip a bit.
Old 08-22-22, 09:18 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Those brakes are designed (as are all hydraulic brakes) to NOT be like you want them. They are designed with more lever pull so you have more control (modulation). As brakes have become more powerful it's gotten worse to have 'light switch' zero modulation brakes. If the lever is hitting your fingers move it away from the grip a bit.
Thanks !! I hate not having my way !! I adjusted the reach out some but may have to double check .... I think I adjusted it back. By moving it away do you mean the reach adjustment or moving the lever itself slightly inboard ? As I said this is not a big problem but if I can make it better I will. They are light years beyond what my old MTB has so I'm not really worked up about it.
Old 08-22-22, 09:25 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Thanks !! I hate not having my way !! I adjusted the reach out some but may have to double check .... I think I adjusted it back. By moving it away do you mean the reach adjustment or moving the lever itself slightly inboard ? As I said this is not a big problem but if I can make it better I will. They are light years beyond what my old MTB has so I'm not really worked up about it.
I meant moving the whole lever inboard on the handlebar a little more. I like my lever reach pretty close to the bar and to only use one finger. The muscles in your hands are stronger and will resist cramping better w/ the lever closer to the bar compared to further away.
Old 08-22-22, 09:34 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I meant moving the whole lever inboard on the handlebar a little more. I like my lever reach pretty close to the bar and to only use one finger. The muscles in your hands are stronger and will resist cramping better w/ the lever closer to the bar compared to further away.
Interesting. I'm fairly new to the hydraulic brake world in cycling. I shouldn't have to move it very much so I will adjust it a little and see what its like on my next ride. Thanks again !!
Old 08-22-22, 05:12 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts

Your XT brake levers could have a lever travel adjustment - a knob or similar that can adjust the lever position and movement (travel)

you can see the knob ( 'A' ) on the older XT levers in the top picture ( 'B' is a rubber cover )

and also on a bike in the bottom picture (easier to spot the knob on right lever against the background of the white garage door)

Last edited by t2p; 08-22-22 at 05:24 PM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 08-22-22, 06:33 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by t2p

Your XT brake levers could have a lever travel adjustment - a knob or similar that can adjust the lever position and movement (travel)

you can see the knob ( 'A' ) on the older XT levers in the top picture ( 'B' is a rubber cover )

and also on a bike in the bottom picture (easier to spot the knob on right lever against the background of the white garage door)
It has that but as far as I can tell it doesn't change the bite point.just the position of the lever. Im going to ride it a few more times before I do anything just to see if I get used to it. I think if I open up the free play screw a touch and add fluid, then readjust it would help some but inot gonna do it. I will move ever inboard a tad first.
Old 08-23-22, 01:55 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
I really like Shimano brakes (they are my preference at all price points), but the contact point adjustment on them is relatively subtle--it's useful for balancing front/rear or a 4/2 piston mixed setup and some fine tuning, but you can't get an incredibly short throw out of them. I second the recommendation to really try adjusting the position of the brakes and the lever reach. If you really want to be able to get a very short bite point, other brands do this better, like Hope, and honestly any RSC level Sram, and Magura, among others.
Old 08-23-22, 02:04 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
I felt the same way when I got my new bike with XT 4-pot brakes. However, now I've ridden it around for a few weeks and got used to it I'm perfectly happy with it. They certainly are very good brakes.
Old 08-29-22, 06:26 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Thought I would update here .... Took the bike out again and with a small hand adjustment I cam easily keep the brakes from hitting my middle finer. Wasn't really a problem with the front brake as it was a bit stronger with a shorter lever travel. Perhaps a function of the shorter brake line. I have a lot more confidence in them now and can one finger the rear and have better modulation.

40 miles of single track in the last two weeks. Brakes seem to be bedding in and also have a better feel. No changes or anything else for now.