Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does this fork look bent?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-29-22, 07:51 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts

The seller says front fork spacing is pinched to 90mm. It's a 1979 trek 710 for a pretty reasonable price and I know I can spread and center the fork tubes but I am worried the stearer may be bent. Best pic I have..... Any advice?
Old 09-29-22, 07:58 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
At times hard to tell but from this photo the fork looks bent to me. Seems to be pushed back a bit.
Likes For Steelman54:
Old 09-29-22, 08:03 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by Steelman54
At times hard to tell but from this photo the fork looks bent to me. Seems to be pushed back a bit.
That's my thought but it helps to have confirmation.
Old 09-29-22, 08:08 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Could be pushed back, but if it is it can't be by much. I would look at how the fork crown and upper hs looks in relation to the cups in rotation. Variation could indicate a bend. I would certainly go take a look at it, if it rotates clean and even go for it. Even if it has had some front impact that would be addressable.

I lightened the picture, and I can see some daylight between the forks. Could be some optical illusion as well.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 09-29-22 at 08:16 AM.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-29-22, 08:23 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Looks bent to me. If you could swing the fork around where the blades were aligned to the pic taker's view, it would look even more bent.
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-29-22, 08:51 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 213 Posts

Based on the photo, the seat tube looks a bit more relaxed than the head tube, but the fork blade centerline seems to be steeper even than the head tube. I would pass on it.
OTOH, if you wanted to gamble that at least the frame isn't bent, I have a decent Trek 7xx(?) fork supposedly with Ishiwata tubing, in that color, has reinf. tangs extending from the crown down insides of fork legs, so-so cosmetic condition, that I would offer for not a lot of dosh. It is from a larger frame: steerer 24.5 cm long with 6 mm of thread, so it might have to be cut down and (harder) rethreaded to fit. PM me for more detail.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 09-29-22, 09:00 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
I've aligned hundreds and hundreds of steel frames in my career. It is rare that a steerer is bent. They are awfully thick. This one looks like a normal head on bent back. What is much more likely than a bent steerer is that the down tube and top tube are buckled a bit right behind the lugs. Feel carefully right behind those lugs on the bottom of both to see if there is any damage. You don't want even a slight amount of a crease there. Treks of that era were never that well aligned in the 1st place so I wouldn't be surprised the main frame is out some too. It isn't a problem to realign what looks to be a fork that is bent back some. Of course I'm a framebuilder that looks at a project like this as being no big deal because I have all the right equipment and knowledge to make it right.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 09-29-22, 09:04 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Not enough that it can't be cold set.

However, the seller's 90mm comment makes me thing it's bent side-to-side; e.g., if a Sturmey-Archer hub had been jammed into it at some time. Is the picture provided a "before" by chance?

-Kurt

Old 09-29-22, 09:11 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
My son crashed his 560 pretty good to destroy his front wheel, bend the fork blades, and bend beyond repair the top and down tubes. The steerer was straight. I cut the steerer off to make a headset remover and was surprised to find it so crazy thick. (710s are very cool and with that perfectly fitting rack....)
Old 09-29-22, 09:19 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
You can always verify the bend and where it is by removing the fork from the frame and sighting down the steerer tube.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 09-29-22, 09:48 AM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 159 Posts
IIRC, the Trek catalog showed the frame dimensions for all frame sizes in 1979 for the 710. Check the wheelbase against the brochure. If the price is right, could be worth it.

Old 09-29-22, 10:12 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Example of a bent steerer.
P1030228 on Flickr

Indication of magnitude of impact - 21 MPH into a car fender
P1030232 on Flickr
P1030233 on Flickr
P9051190 on Flickr

Last edited by SJX426; 09-29-22 at 10:18 AM.
Likes For SJX426:
Old 09-29-22, 12:11 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
[QUOTE=SJX426;22663236]Example of a bent steerer.

Indication of magnitude of impact - 21 MPH into a car fender

Now i have a rough guess what happened to the Gitane tandem i street picked for a begging friend.
Old 09-29-22, 12:23 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by SJX426
Example of a bent steerer.
P9051190 on Flickr
That's a bent steerer and a bent crown.

-Kurt

Old 09-29-22, 02:07 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
SJX426, I hope the rider was ok. That looks serious to me. At 21 mph a person can get waded up pretty badly. The OP bike is worth looking at with caution as mentioned . The DT and TT lugs at the head tube should be inspected closely as well as the fork. Also head tube for cracking , my friend had a Circuit and after a front end crash that apparently only taco'd the front wheel and a year later the head tube broke ....apparently we didn't check it good enough, DOH!
Old 09-29-22, 02:30 PM
madpogue 

Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
What's the ask? Option: low-ball it based on the risk of bent top/down tubes, offer what you think the bar-ends and the Blackburn are worth, the rest is (if wavy...) gravy.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 09-29-22, 06:12 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by madpogue
What's the ask? Option: low-ball it based on the risk of bent top/down tubes, offer what you think the bar-ends and the Blackburn are worth, the rest is (if wavy...) gravy.
Honestly the barcons caught my eye first. That it was a 710 next. Just not sure I want another project.
Old 09-29-22, 08:13 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Based on the photo, the seat tube looks a bit more relaxed than the head tube, but the fork blade centerline seems to be steeper even than the head tube. I would pass on it.
The photo has inherent distortion in it from the lens and looks as it may have been cropped too. Wouldn't use it as a guide.

Front end could also be pointing just slightly to the right as well.

-Kurt

Old 09-29-22, 08:28 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,358 Posts
It looks similar in the photo to my Gitane TdF in real life, in that I *think* there is a bend, but it is light enough that it makes me wonder. I'd go take a look at it and see it in person, check the fork, check the downtube, and proceed from there! Good luck!
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 09-29-22, 09:52 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 139 Posts
I just purchased a bicycle with a bent fork. In my case, the steering tube portion of the fork didn't have a discernable gap with the frame head tube (indicating a fork that's bent in the lower part of it's steer tube portion). Plus, there was no binding or looseness when rotating the handlebar. But, the positioning of the brake shoes on the front fork in relationship to wheel rim, in comparison to the positioning of the brake shoes-to-rear wheel rim is different. The front brake shoes were positioned lower within their slots, to compensate for a bent back fork.
Old 09-29-22, 10:02 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
There will be other opportunities

Unless you are entertaining this as a “parts bike” I recommend that you wait for something nicer.

This model was mass produced: there will be others.
Likes For cyclophilia:
Old 09-29-22, 10:20 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Does this fork look bent? No. It is fine. That is based on my thoughts listed below:

1. For some reason forks have a tendency to look bent in pictures.
2. The tendency for forks to look bent are higher on Online Forums like BikeForums because we all want to error on the side of caution and we want to save our fellow forum member from wasting their time and money.
3. Despite @Charles Wahl 's excellent picture with the lines, I think that the deviation that we are seeing is from the taper on the fork.
4. While it is curious that the fork over locknut dimension is 4mm too narrow, that is not an indication of a bent fork. They are two separate issues. If the bike crashed the fork would still be 100mm apart because the fork legs are held in position by the hub unless the wheel came off in the crash.
5. I am optimistic about this
6. And I tend to be contrarian.

These are only thoughts based on one picture. It is worth the look if the price is justified.

I know you will check it out and test ride it before you buy it.

Good luck @52telecaster . We will wait for the verdict and pictures if you do purchase it.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 09-29-22 at 11:11 PM.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 09-29-22, 11:53 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
I think this sport touring model of Trek was brazed with lower temperature silver instead of brass like they did later as a cost cutting measure. These earlier Treks used Nikko lugs. I really like Nikko lugs because they are bulge formed and many of my frame building class use them. They are the only company that make lugs that way. Also the frame is made for 47/57 mm brake reach allowing for bigger tires. It became more popular to spec with shorter reach brakes when narrow tires became popular. In fact someone gave me this same model of Trek for our Ukraine Bicycle Project. We used to do week long rides somewhere in the Ukrainian boonies for a number of years. I fixed up this model as my personal ride and have loved ridding it for thousands kms. What I recall is that the frame when I got it was not well aligned to begin with. Trek never had high alignment standards for their steel frames. Of course I realigned it, redid the braze-ons to my liking and repainted it a chameleon color. I replaced the parts with a used Campy Triple set. I even took over a Ideal 92 saddle for it. It was my personal ride when going longer distances. Students at the college where our frame/bike shop was located loved going on rides with me in the Bucha area after supper. It was a loaner to people that worked on campus when I wasn't there.

This bike was stored in a shed next to our little frame/bike shop. In March of this year the Russians broke in to the shed but - to prove they didn't know what they are doing - they left this bike and 2 other Trek sport touring frames. In fact the door to the shed was wide open for 4 to 5 weeks before people were able to return to the college and finally shut and lock the door. I'm not sure what was in there that they did take. Some bicycle stands I think. Yuriy my fellow helper took this picture when he made a quick trip back after he escaped to the west.

If I was looking for a nice sport touring frame, I would buy this bike - in whatever condition it is in - in an instant. Of course it is so easy for me to the realignment because I have all the professional equipment to do so. If you are going to buy it for parts only, send me the frame! I'll pay shipping. It will go to Ukraine with our next shipment of stuff. It is a perfect bike for riding longer distances on poor roads. There is going to be a much bigger demand for bicycles than ever over there.

My Trek sport touring bicycle and a couple of others the Russians didn't bother to steal after they broke into this storage shed. You can see from this picture that they didn't bother tidy up after they broke in either - the animals.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 09-29-22 at 11:58 PM.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 09-30-22, 06:26 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I think this sport touring model of Trek was brazed with lower temperature silver instead of brass like they did later as a cost cutting measure. These earlier Treks used Nikko lugs. I really like Nikko lugs because they are bulge formed and many of my frame building class use them. They are the only company that make lugs that way. Also the frame is made for 47/57 mm brake reach allowing for bigger tires. It became more popular to spec with shorter reach brakes when narrow tires became popular. In fact someone gave me this same model of Trek for our Ukraine Bicycle Project. We used to do week long rides somewhere in the Ukrainian boonies for a number of years. I fixed up this model as my personal ride and have loved ridding it for thousands kms. What I recall is that the frame when I got it was not well aligned to begin with. Trek never had high alignment standards for their steel frames. Of course I realigned it, redid the braze-ons to my liking and repainted it a chameleon color. I replaced the parts with a used Campy Triple set. I even took over a Ideal 92 saddle for it. It was my personal ride when going longer distances. Students at the college where our frame/bike shop was located loved going on rides with me in the Bucha area after supper. It was a loaner to people that worked on campus when I wasn't there.

This bike was stored in a shed next to our little frame/bike shop. In March of this year the Russians broke in to the shed but - to prove they didn't know what they are doing - they left this bike and 2 other Trek sport touring frames. In fact the door to the shed was wide open for 4 to 5 weeks before people were able to return to the college and finally shut and lock the door. I'm not sure what was in there that they did take. Some bicycle stands I think. Yuriy my fellow helper took this picture when he made a quick trip back after he escaped to the west.

If I was looking for a nice sport touring frame, I would buy this bike - in whatever condition it is in - in an instant. Of course it is so easy for me to the realignment because I have all the professional equipment to do so. If you are going to buy it for parts only, send me the frame! I'll pay shipping. It will go to Ukraine with our next shipment of stuff. It is a perfect bike for riding longer distances on poor roads. There is going to be a much bigger demand for bicycles than ever over there.

My Trek sport touring bicycle and a couple of others the Russians didn't bother to steal after they broke into this storage shed. You can see from this picture that they didn't bother tidy up after they broke in either - the animals.
I'm not sure I will buy the bike but I am sure that your contribution to this thread was wonderful.
Old 09-30-22, 12:04 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 142 Posts
"Does this fork look bent?" is the BikeForums C&V equivalent of "Does this look infected?"
Likes For Reynolds 531:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.