Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1986 Stumpjumper Seatpost Binder Bolt Question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-22, 10:10 PM
hellojoben

Bikes: '83 Specialized Sequoia (crashed and retired), '85 Specialized Allez SE, '86 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2016 Ritchey Road Logic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts

Hi Fellow C&V-ers,

Does anyone know which QR seat post binder bolt on the below 1986 stumpjumper is? I just purchased one myself, frame only, and my standard sugino binder bolt off of my Allez doesn't fit.

I can add photos of my frame sometime tomorrow, although it's not as pretty as this one, hah!

Thanks in advance
Old 10-24-22, 10:25 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
Does it not fit because of the notch? You can file that off pretty easily. Imo it's preferable not to have a quick release unless you share the bike with people often.
Old 10-24-22, 10:30 PM
hellojoben

Bikes: '83 Specialized Sequoia (crashed and retired), '85 Specialized Allez SE, '86 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2016 Ritchey Road Logic

Originally Posted by Soody
Does it not fit because of the notch? You can file that off pretty easily. Imo it's preferable not to have a quick release unless you share the bike with people often.
It's not the notch, but the bolt itself that doesn't slide into the opening like it does in the photo (the non-lever side of the binder bolt). Seems like this specific seat cluster lug was designed for a quick release.
Old 10-25-22, 06:49 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
So you're trying a non-QR bolt with a sleeve nut, and the sleeve nut is too large a diameter? That's expected. QR bolts/nuts don't have the sleeve, so any "typical" one should fit. I have several in a box-o-crap; I could size test one in my lowly late-'80s Rockhopper to confirm fit and throw one in the mail to you.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 10-25-22, 11:49 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I'd suggest you completely replace the quick release with a bolt.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 10-25-22, 02:32 PM
hellojoben

Originally Posted by madpogue
So you're trying a non-QR bolt with a sleeve nut, and the sleeve nut is too large a diameter? That's expected. QR bolts/nuts don't have the sleeve, so any "typical" one should fit. I have several in a box-o-crap; I could size test one in my lowly late-'80s Rockhopper to confirm fit and throw one in the mail to you.
I wouldn't be opposed to that!

Here are photos of the seat cluster lug. I measured the larger (drive side) opening internal diameter and it's about 11mm.

Old 10-25-22, 02:38 PM
hellojoben

Originally Posted by madpogue
I did order a used Shimano QR bolt off of the 'bay. If that doesn't work out I'll let you know.
Old 10-25-22, 10:26 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I would tap (put threads in) the left side boss and insert a socket head screw from the right side into the threading. You end up with a flush-headed binder bolt that looks really "clean".

I used a stainless steel bolt. If you cannot find the proper length, you can resize it without fear of rusting - very clean install.

That is what I did to mine.

It ends up looking like the first pic, except there's nothing on the far side except the end of the bolt.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 10-25-22 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-26-22, 05:53 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Was that thing ever pink? Anyway...FWIW my old '86 Sport which was a completely different seatpost cluster did come with a quick-release binder...

Old 10-26-22, 06:39 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Of course, things can change year-to-year, and even within a year after a catalog is printed, but the '85 catalog on retrobike depicts the QR lever on the NDS, which would suggest that it had a nut with a head small enough to fit into the recess on the drive side.

But why would anyone ever want to change the saddle height on an MTB?..... (imagine tongue-in-cheek emoji here)
Old 10-26-22, 08:09 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
When I have faced problems like this, I have used a bench grinder to "adjust" the size of bolt heads and nuts.
Old 11-01-22, 12:49 PM
hellojoben

I've tried out the seat post binder bolt and it works! Although not at sleek/pretty as a bolt that is inset of the clamp area like the red Stumpjumper I first posted. If any of ya'll know of the exact binder bolt that is please let me know.