Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Newbie-brake fade question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-22, 10:33 AM
mdo53

Bikes: 2022 Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Just purchased a new Trek Verve 2 Disc and when applying full pressure to the rear brake handle the bike stops quickly but the rear wheel doesn't lock up. Is this normal or should the brakes be rechecked or bled? It is impossible to make the rear tire skid....

Last edited by mdo53; 10-26-22 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-26-22, 10:46 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6940 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Have the brake pads and discs been bedded in properly?
Old 10-26-22, 10:54 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
That depends. How much do you weigh?
Old 10-26-22, 10:55 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
This is not normal. The rear wheel should be extremely easy to skid even with rim brakes, let alone discs. Since you just bought the bike it should be the bike shop's responsibility to look at it for you.

Even the most whale fattie should be able to easily skid the rear wheel.
Old 10-26-22, 11:27 AM
mdo53

6' and 227#... the tech I spoke with didn't seem to think it was an issue. I'll take it back and have them make it right.
Old 10-26-22, 11:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
The rear wheel locks up easier than the front. That's partly because the majority of your weight is dynamically shifted to the front wheel when you brake. So it takes much more effort to lock up the wheel.

Try not to lock your back brake up. That'll only make your rear wheel have less braking force and in a rapid deceleration your bike might try to swap ends as the frame rotates around the steerer tube because the front now has more braking force. I know about this from experience. I think I bounced twice if not three times after coming unstuck from the bike. The child in me said "do it again"! The old person in me was thankful all I had to do was get back on the bike and finish the next 20 or so miles of the ride
Old 10-26-22, 03:15 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Unless you are descending some big hills and only using the rear brake you don't have brake 'fade'. You should be able to lock up the rear at will. The 'tech' is clueless if he says your brake is normal. The only 2 reasons are either contamination on the pads/rotor or the brake needs to be bled. I'm guessing that this bike came out of the box and was slapped together without the brake lines being shortened or the system bled. I'd bring it back and not leave with it til the rear brake easily locks up the wheel. Is this a Trek owned store or an IBD that's a Trek dealer?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-26-22, 03:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by mdo53
when applying full pressure to the rear brake handle the bike stops quickly but the rear wheel doesn't lock up. Is this normal or should the brakes be rechecked or bled? It is impossible to make the rear tire skid....
Oh.... you did say the rear wheel wouldn't lock up. Well it should. So something is amiss. You do need to get that figured out. And the people you bought the bike from should be the people that can do that. If they aren't the try to push to get your issue taken up by Trek. Something is either wrong with the bike or with the people that did the final assembly, adjustment and sold it to you. I'm betting it's the people that sold it to you.

Still, you don't want to lock your wheel up on purpose if your intention is to stop as quickly as possible.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-26-22, 05:32 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Unless you are descending some big hills and only using the rear brake you don't have brake 'fade'. You should be able to lock up the rear at will. The 'tech' is clueless if he says your brake is normal. The only 2 reasons are either contamination on the pads/rotor or the brake needs to be bled. I'm guessing that this bike came out of the box and was slapped together without the brake lines being shortened or the system bled. I'd bring it back and not leave with it til the rear brake easily locks up the wheel. Is this a Trek owned store or an IBD that's a Trek dealer?
You don't mince words, but I have to say that you are correct. If a brand new bike doesn't have the quite small braking power needed to lock up a rear wheel there is something seriously wrong. Brake "fade" only happens under extreme conditions where brakes have been applied for so long that heating of the braking surfaces starts to become a problem, whether the brakes are applied to a disc or to the rim
See your dealer and ask for a better mechanic
You are not experiencing brake fade

Last edited by alcjphil; 10-27-22 at 09:51 AM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 10-26-22, 09:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Being as blunt as possible.

A bike whose brakes cannot lock and skid the rear wheel is practically, and LEGALLY, an unsafe bike.

------

The accepted standard, and law in most states, is that the rear brake can lock the rear wheel and cause a skid.

This isn't an invitation to skid and kill your tires, but having the ability means that you can stop as short as traction allows. Then it's up to you to modulate and use your brakes effectively, up to the limits of traction.

To be clear, the front brake provides more actual stopping power, but that doesn't free the rear brake from doing what's called for.

Consider the legal implications. A "couldn't stop in time" accident had 4 possible contributing factors. Traction, braking power, rider error, or the time element. If there are injuries, the first thing to check are the brakes, and rule them in or out as a contributing factor.

IMO any mechanic that dismisses this is useless because he's unable or unwilling to do right by his customer.

BTW - If you want to stir the pot, email Trek, saying your brake isn't right, and the shop mechanic says that's just the way they are.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-26-22 at 09:48 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-27-22, 09:01 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
BTW - If you want to stir the pot, email Trek, saying your brake isn't right, and the shop mechanic says that's just the way they are.
(Chuckling) I'd be tempted to do this just to see what the response time is. BTW, make sure you say it's the brake on your new Trek bike that isn't right.
Old 10-28-22, 06:51 PM
mdo53

I called the store today and left a message.....within 30 minutes I received a text to bring the bike in tomorrow.
Likes For mdo53:
Old 10-29-22, 10:42 AM
mdo53

Visited the bike store early this morning and told the person that greeted me that I purchased the bike two weeks ago and the brakes would not skid. This person said he never heard of any state bike laws requiring a bike's brakes to skid. I showed him SC Law Section 56-5-3490 on my iPhone and read it to him " A bicycle must be equipped with a brake that will enable the bicyclist to make the brakes skid on dry, level, clean pavement". He seemed confused so I used the example that should a careless driver fail to yield right-of-way or I wreck the unsafe and faulty bike that they sold me, resulting in injury to myself or someone else, the word attorney could possibly come into play. We have an understanding. Once the bike tech finished, the salesman asked me to test drive the bike. The brakes were much better and would skid. The bike tech approached and told me we were all newbies and explained bedding process and offered additional adjustments if I desired.

I purchased a front light and water bottle holder while waiting. The salesman installed them and included a free water bottle for my inconvenience. No need to call or write Trek, issue resolved and I am happy.
Likes For mdo53:
Old 10-29-22, 03:16 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Who’s “all newbies?”
Old 10-29-22, 08:18 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by mdo53
Visited the bike store early this morning and told the person that greeted me that I purchased the bike two weeks ago and the brakes would not skid. This person said he never heard of any state bike laws requiring a bike's brakes to skid. I showed him SC Law Section 56-5-3490 on my iPhone and read it to him " A bicycle must be equipped with a brake that will enable the bicyclist to make the brakes skid on dry, level, clean pavement". He seemed confused so I used the example that should a careless driver fail to yield right-of-way or I wreck the unsafe and faulty bike that they sold me, resulting in injury to myself or someone else, the word attorney could possibly come into play. We have an understanding. Once the bike tech finished, the salesman asked me to test drive the bike. The brakes were much better and would skid. The bike tech approached and told me we were all newbies and explained bedding process and offered additional adjustments if I desired.

I purchased a front light and water bottle holder while waiting. The salesman installed them and included a free water bottle for my inconvenience. No need to call or write Trek, issue resolved and I am happy.
Amazing the power of the word "lawyer".
Old 10-29-22, 11:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Amazing the power of the word "lawyer".
Actually, what it took was a bit of firmness from the customer.

But it brings up a question that maybe some who work retail might answer.

Given that all it needed was proper bedding of the pads and rotor, I wonder whether it's SOP to send new bikes without doing that, or at least giving newbies an explanation so they can do it for themselves.