Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tires for somewhere in between?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-03-22, 04:24 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts

Today I splurged and bought a 2022 Diverge Expert Carbon to replace my 2011 Orbea Terra that has served me well for distance riding ( centuries, etc…) as my riding tends to lean much more towards paved than dirt, the 42cm tires that came on the new bike are a bit excessive for my needs. I normally use 32cm GP5k’s but am interested in trying something a touch bigger providing that it still offers a good RR factor.

suggestions ?

Last edited by Tomm Willians; 11-03-22 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-03-22, 04:40 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I've been itching to try the 38 Rene Herse (formerly Compass). Maybe Santa is watching . . .
Old 11-03-22, 04:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
You might look at the Clement or Donnelly X'Plor USH 120tpi tire. 35mm.

Very lightweight for what it is (also perhaps a little less road protection than some).
Old 11-03-22, 04:42 PM
MikeIndy

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Trek Madone Disc, S-Works Diverge,Seven Evergreen SL Ti, Trek Fuel EX, Trek SuperCaliber, Farley Fat Bike, Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 9 Posts
I’ve been pleased with the Panaracer GravelKing SS in 32mm as well as 35. It’s great on pave and basic dirt paths. The rolling resistance is rated quite low, in it’s category. I also run them tubeless for what it’s worth. No tubes on any of my gravel wheelsets.
Old 11-03-22, 06:57 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've been itching to try the 38 Rene Herse (formerly Compass). Maybe Santa is watching . . .
Or the 35mm Bon Jon Pass. Smooth, plush, fast, and the tread lasts a looong time.
Old 11-05-22, 05:59 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
They're not as high end as GP5k's, but I'm really happy with the inexpensive 32mm Michelin Protek tires im running on my go-to hybrid. But, they're well known to run wider than labeled (mine are labeled 28,but measure out at 32), so you'd want to order 32s, to actually get 35s.
Old 11-05-22, 10:14 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
How about Pirelli Cinturato Velo in 35C?

I ran the 32C version on my endurance bike and found them excellent for fast century rides. Reasonably fast rolling, grippy in any road conditions and offer great puncture protection
Old 11-05-22, 11:20 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Depends also on whether or not you need superior puncture resistance. On my touring bike, I wanted the best puncture resistance I could find that didn't weigh a ton, the best one puncture resistant tire on the market is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour which is considered to be flatless, and could last 8,000 miles, but the darn thing weighs just over 1,000 grams a piece! So I went with the Schwalbe Almotion tire, still not a light tire at 600 grams, although the new model is now heavier?!, and then I installed a flat liner in the rear tire even though that tire has a very high rating for flat resistance because I didn't want to be bothered with a flat in the rear with loaded panniers, fenders, and the mechanical stuff, so even with the liner the tire is still lighter than the Marathon Plus Tour by about 300 grams a piece.

If the tire protection factor is important but don't want a tire to weight 800 to 1000 grams each, you could look into the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, this tire is below 500 grams with pretty darn good flat protection, it also rolls fast for a larger tire. I use a 38c tire, this gives the bike a bit more of a cushy ride vs a 32, plus it can handle the load I carry easily without wearing out the tire fast, if you're not going to be carrying a load a 32c would be fine. The Almotion can do double duty as a gravel tire, the Supreme not so much; having said that, I would have no issue using a Supreme on gravel, I can ride 23c and 25c on gravel, I can more than handle a 32 on gravel, but of course I'm not bombing down a gravel road either with those narrower 23 and 25 tires, but I opted for the Almotion just in case I find myself on a gravel road with a loaded bike; noting what you said about not doing any gravel, then there's no reason to get a Almotion, I would get the Supreme, it has less rolling resistance, much better than adequate flat protection, and very long tread life, comes in a 32 size which is all you need for your purposes.

Don't forget too, that you don't need as much PSI in a 32 tire as you would with a 25c tire, but you will need more psi in a 32 than you did with the original 42's that came on the bike, so that will cause the tire to ride a bit harsher.

Lots of tire choices in the world, like others, I just mentioned one brand, you have to decide which brand and model mentioned either by me or others would fit your needs the best.
Old 11-05-22, 01:28 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Felt the need to replace the tires on my Diverge and spent more than a few dollars on 38 Rene Herse Barlow Pass tires. They roll so well and cushion is beyond my expectations. Never had a tire make so much difference for me. At my weight, 185, they recommend around 55 psi max and I love them. They were $90 plus each, but I'm old and beginning to wonder what I'm saving my dollars for. Enjoy life.
Likes For Champlaincycler:
Old 11-05-22, 07:03 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
I installed a pair of Schwalbe Pro One TLEs in 34mm this afternoon. I’ve run a few pair in 32mm and really enjoyed them. The 34mm seem noticeably more smooth and roll very, very nicely.
Old 11-08-22, 09:05 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeIndy
I’ve been pleased with the Panaracer GravelKing SS in 32mm as well as 35. It’s great on pave and basic dirt paths. The rolling resistance is rated quite low, in it’s category. I also run them tubeless for what it’s worth. No tubes on any of my gravel wheelsets.
I second the Panaracer GravelKing SS. Great bang for the buck. Rene Herse are great, but expensive.
Old 11-09-22, 04:11 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
be aware -

32mm GK SS can measure less than 32mm - so they could be smaller than your current 32mm GP5K

(my 32mm GK SS measured approx 31mm installed)

35mm GK SS can measure more than 35mm - my 35mm GK SS measured approx 37mm installed
Old 11-09-22, 06:38 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
be aware -

32mm GK SS can measure less than 32mm - so they could be smaller than your current 32mm GP5K

(my 32mm GK SS measured approx 31mm installed)

35mm GK SS can measure more than 35mm - my 35mm GK SS measured approx 37mm installed
On the same rims or on different rims? Remember that interior rim width can change the effective tire width.
Old 11-09-22, 12:30 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
On the same rims or on different rims? Remember that interior rim width can change the effective tire width.
same rims

( also gave them some time to 'grow' )
Old 11-09-22, 12:49 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
I have a few wheel sets for my gravel bike with gp5000, maxis gravel and 32mm gravel king slicks. 99% of the time I am on 32mm gravel king slicks, I take them on gravel all the time.

I only use the gp5000 if I am trying to keep up with my road friends on their aero bikes. I get too many flats with them for me to want to ride on them for my daily solo rides.

I uses the Maxxis Rambler 700c x 40 for the more serious off road routes.