Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

why is my LBS loaded up w/ bikes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-22, 08:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts

I know I should ask them. but maybe other shop workers/owners are aware of something going on? they all seemed to be used bikes
did a lot of the ppl who bought bikes during covid, w/ grand plans to ride, realize they weren't using them, so are selling them?
is it an over supply of new bikes that were back ordered & now can't get rid of?
is it a bunch of bikes from ppl who rode all summer & need a tweak before storing for the winter?
Old 11-15-22, 08:31 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
The pandemic was difficult at best and probably caused all sorts of behavior. I read that cheap furniture purchased during the pandemic is now showing up in the trash.

The last bike I purchased was for my grandson. The dealer had several colors in the same size in April '22.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 11-15-22, 08:40 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Well it could be a bit of all of that. We hit a bit of a rough patch financially as a country and people aren't buying bikes as they used to. Plus a lot of people have been scared "you don't have bikes I read a thing somewhere nobody has bikes" when we actually do have bikes and have been getting bikes but it is still tough. A lot of manufacturers pushed for a big pre-order so that also caused more bikes to be in shops. I know we had to do a big one for one of the brands we sell and hooooooooweeeeeeeeee it was big and bigger than in previous years. The craze of the endemic turned a lot of the industry in a weird position and nobody really knew what was going to happen and so production ramped up and some of it went to far in one direction to over correct and it is hard to swing it all back.

Over the years I have seen more service in winter, I know I tell my customers come in when it is slow and you aren't riding as much get the bike tuned and ready so when that nice day comes you are riding while everyone else is in line at the shop. It has been paying off I think as more people are starting to realize how smart that is. I always laugh a little when those nice days hit and people are like "HOW LONG???" "WHAT DO YOU MEAN A WEEK???" as if nobody else had the idea to go riding that day because the weather was nice. People sometimes have such a disconnect to the world. We are humans we sadly think a lot a like sometimes so when the weather is nice and we are like why are so many people outside doing stuff or getting ready to go outside and do stuff, we should just realize, we are doing it so others will as well. "Wait you like chocolate too?"
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-15-22, 08:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
So we are supposed to guess about the inventory of a bike shop most of us will never see much less be near?

Please go ask the people at the bike shop.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-15-22, 09:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Iride01
So we are supposed to guess about the inventory of a bike shop most of us will never see much less be near?Please go ask the people at the bike shop.
well I know there are other bike shop owners, here, so I thought I'd ask
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-15-22, 11:32 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
People found out that the majority of bicycles have to be pedaled, and that can lead to exertion.
Old 11-15-22, 12:39 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
People found out that the majority of bicycles have to be pedaled, and that can lead to exertion.
Au contraire, all these e-bikes I have seen near local parks and schools that look like Mad Max props clearly signal to potential purchasers that they do not really have to be pedaled.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-15-22, 12:51 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 851 Times in 445 Posts
I was surprised to see local shops having inventory reduction sales. In a relatively short period of time we went from empty bike shops to sales. Weird.
Old 11-15-22, 01:01 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
So we are supposed to guess about the inventory of a bike shop most of us will never see much less be near?
Your "pissy gatekeeper" schtick is already getting old.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-15-22, 01:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Rolla
So isn't that what you are doing?

But I guess you have to fight fire with fire!
Likes For Iride01:
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Au contraire, all these e-bikes I have seen near local parks and schools . . . . .

"E-bikes"? Don't you mean electric mopeds?
Likes For Hondo6:
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
It was old a long time ago.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 11-15-22, 01:48 PM
Rolla

So isn't that what you are doing?
No, but I'm not surprised in the least that you can't see the difference.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-15-22, 01:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

No, but I'm not surprised in the least that you can't see the difference.
I'm not surprised you don't see it as doing the same. Well actually I am surprised you don't see it as the same.

You've contributed nothing to the question of the OP. And you have only started a tit for tat response between us that is of no use for the thread and only detracts from it. And you did the same in another thread I was in.

Besides rumrunn6 already dealt with my pissyness in a very well handled way if you cared to notice. So piling on is really just you acting worse than my original transgression here.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-15-22 at 02:02 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-15-22, 02:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Hondo6
"E-bikes"? Don't you mean electric mopeds?
An electric moped would be one of those throttled jobs however many of the bikes out there are actual e-bikes that require pedaling to move forward.

Unfortunately there are a lot of brands who use throttles but market their products as E-bikes because they put some bike parts on it and many of us who are into cycling eat it up and believe it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-15-22, 02:50 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I was surprised to see local shops having inventory reduction sales. In a relatively short period of time we went from empty bike shops to sales. Weird.
hope it happens to cars, our family needs (2)
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-15-22, 03:23 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
An electric moped would be one of those throttled jobs however many of the bikes out there are actual e-bikes that require pedaling to move forward.

Unfortunately there are a lot of brands who use throttles but market their products as E-bikes because they put some bike parts on it and many of us who are into cycling eat it up and believe it.
Based on what I've seen in my area, not sure I agree with "many". Can't tell you how many times I've seen a bike in this area "coasting" at a constant speed of 10-15MPH - on level ground. (There aren't exactly a whole lot of hills around here.)
Old 11-15-22, 03:39 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
It's been about a year since I worked in a shop, but I can tell you that the bikes arriving in the fall were ordered the previous winter or early spring.
Old 11-15-22, 04:28 PM
Rolla

You've contributed nothing to the question of the OP.
Oh, like your "contribution" that he ask the bike shop after he already said "I know I should ask the bike shop"?

You're a real "asset" to the forum lol.
Old 11-15-22, 04:49 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 819 Posts
Speaking as someone neck-deep in "previously-loved" bicycles, there are a lot of used bikes available right now. In mid-2020, it was the opposite, with almost no retail product and used bikes (and parts/consumables) going for very high prices. Now with new bikes coming in and people going back to what passes for "normal", many used bikes are flooding the pipeline.

In August, one of the nonprofits I work with (Recycle Your Bicycle) publicized a big regionwide bicycle donation drive. We hoped for hundreds, and got thousands. Everything from rustbuckets to very high-end road bikes. In fact, we're in the wonderful but challenging situation of having more bikes than current foster kids needing one at the moment, or more importantly volunteers to fix them. We've passed some of the bikes on to other nonprofits such as Rusty Spoke and El Grupo Youth, but we're hearing that nearly every bike nonprofit in the area (Bike Saviours, Grey Matter, Bicycle Cellar) is also in the same wonderful yet challenging state of swimming in inventory. My own church informed me their bicycle drive might not need all the ones I've saved for them (and there goes my plan for reclaiming my back patio...) I even took some good older fixed-up bicycles to the big bike swap in Tucson last Sunday, and they didn't move at all, even at modest prices.

We're still figuring out how to get all these generously-donated bikes to nonprofits who might need them. Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by RCMoeur; 11-15-22 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added Tucson swap sentence.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 11-15-22, 05:40 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Why the hell is this posted in the Bicycle Mechanics forum? Asking for a subforum-banned friend.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 11-15-22, 05:49 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Why the hell is this posted in the Bicycle Mechanics forum? Asking for a subforum-banned friend.
Because mechanics work in bike shops? That's all I got.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 11-15-22, 06:35 PM
greatbasin

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
I was going to say it's because they traded them in for e-bikes, but someone beat me to that.
So it must be because they're handing out free puppies to anyone who uses the MUP.
Old 11-15-22, 08:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Hondo6
Based on what I've seen in my area, not sure I agree with "many". Can't tell you how many times I've seen a bike in this area "coasting" at a constant speed of 10-15MPH - on level ground. (There aren't exactly a whole lot of hills around here.)
I feel like that sometimes on my bike where it looks like I am going at a good steady pace but not pedaling but no throttle. It could be where you are you do have a lot of electric mopeds. I know they are getting quite popular but we are selling a ton of actual bikes as well.
Old 11-15-22, 08:24 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
My LBS owner-buddy told me that he sold ~90% of his bikes in a three-month window in the spring and the month before Christmas.

It's about five weeks until Christmas.
Likes For tcs:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.