Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Multiple bikes in moving van…

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-22-22, 09:33 AM
djomlas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We are moving and was looking for creative idea to bring around 20 bicycles with me. Roadbikes mainly and 2 mtbs.
other than trying to source out 20 boxes to pack them in, any suggestions?
Old 11-22-22, 09:47 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
About the only things I'd worry about are (1) paint and (2) derailers. For the paint, put a blanket over each bike -- easy.

You could remove all the derailers and tape them to the chainstay or seatstay to reduce the chance for damage, though that sounds like a lot of work. (Not as much work as fixing 20 bunged-up derailer hangers, though.) Alternatively, you might put a heavy cardboard box over each derailer, tape it securely in place, and then put it in the van and put the blanket over the bike.
Old 11-22-22, 09:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Are the bikes competing for space with other stuff and have to be more compact? And are they brand new merchandise that has to look pristine until sold?

If "no" to both of the above, then I might just pile them in any which way you can and put a old towel, drop cloth or the tons of bubble wrap that you might be hoarding from packages received, between those that seem to be rubbing where you wouldn't want rub marks.

Of course be careful about the derailleurs. Consider whether the bikes will shift in a turn or from bumps and then they bend one or more DR hangers.
Old 11-22-22, 09:58 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Organize a group ride with your buddies, have them ride your bikes and pay pizza and beer.

alternatively, tell us how far you’re moving?

Barry
Old 11-22-22, 10:10 AM
djomlas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry for not more info
mpving from chicago to florida so no 20 people
pedaling them there haha
they are all in like new shape and would like them there in the same shape.

was thinking possibly about removing front wheel of each and wrapping the whole bike individually in those moving blankets available from harbor freight and stack them up and bungie them all one to other in some way.
Old 11-22-22, 10:17 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
So when we have to move bikes for an event we just carefully plan them out in a trailer in our case and put blankets on top of them though usually we are going probably no more than 300 miles or so (out and back and that is our longest trip usually it is just a short 10-30 miler). I wouldn't overcomplicate it too much so long as they have some space of their own just use that space appropriately and use the packing blankets and you should be reasonably ok. You could take a sheet of corrugated cardboard between each bike and that might help in addition to the packing blankets
Old 11-22-22, 10:20 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Every spring my bike club goes on a camping trip with our bikes; we load 15-20 bikes into a trailer and drive out to the desert. Our protocol is to remove the pedals and turn the handlebars sideways so the bikes will fit next to each other closely, keeping both wheels on. Then we cover each bike with a moving blanket and put a large piece of cardboard (like from a bike box) between each wrapped bike. We don't otherwise bungee them together (it's a tight fit in the trailer), but you might want to consider doing so for your longer trip. So far, we haven't damaged or scratched anyone's bike.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-22-22, 10:22 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by djomlas
Sorry for not more info
pedaling them there haha

was thinking possibly about removing front wheel of each and wrapping the whole bike individually in those moving blankets available from harbor freight and stack them up and bungie them all one to other in some way.
I'd remove the pedals, then stack and wrap.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 11-22-22, 10:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by djomlas
Sorry for not more info
pedaling them there haha

There won't be a completely wrong way and there will be many best ways.

What you suggest yourself sounds very reasonable. It's more than what I'd do, but I don't mind getting a little "character" on my bikes. Then I'll have something to point to and reminisce about.
Old 11-22-22, 11:03 AM
djomlas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
There won't be a completely wrong way and there will be many best ways.

What you suggest yourself sounds very reasonable. It's more than what I'd do, but I don't mind getting a little "character" on my bikes. Then I'll have something to point to and reminisce about.
i def dont wanna reminisce about this move at all lol
i have so much on my plate w move and packing and home renovation that i just want them in same house in same condition haha
Old 11-22-22, 11:10 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 240 Posts
Whatever you do, best not to blindly trust the movers.
Watch out for the potential for the load to shift, like if they brake suddenly.
That armoire inherited from grandma can easily crush a ‘71 Raleigh.
If you plan to drive a dedicated moving van - like a U-Haul - consider flying down to retrieve it.
With so many moving to Florida, U-Haul (or other renters) might cut you a deal.
Old 11-22-22, 11:35 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I did okay while moving my bikes. I don't have 20 complete bikes though. The one thing I did wrong was somehow let something rub on a front rack, which nearly wore through it. I don't think I used blankets though. I think taking the front wheels off might just offer more things to scratch other things with. But I agree with the comment above that said to take off the pedals. They are the main thing that sticks out and will scratch other things. Handlebars are more protected.
Old 11-22-22, 02:58 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Remove the pedals, loosen stem and rotate handlebars in line with frame to save space.

Since these are bikes you value, I would not stack them - some of them will take a beating that way. Just line them up side by side with padding in between and surround them with bigger items or boxes to keep them from shifting. Maybe put them on top of a row or two of boxes so they are on the top of the load?
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 11-23-22, 02:19 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
With derailleur bikes you might also shift each to the largest rear cog to reduce the profile of the rear derailleur.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 11-23-22, 09:33 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Foam pipe insulation to protect paint.

Foam pipe insulation wrapped around parts of the frame you want to protect is a great way to protect the paint. Tape it securely closed and it will not move or come loose. It's cheap, readily available, doesn't add much weight to the load, and will reduce the number of moving blankets you need to rent. If there is a return trip involved, save it for that. otherwise just throw it away when your are done with the move.
Old 11-23-22, 12:41 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 955 Posts
If they are mostly road bikes, and the handlebar heights and seat heights are roughly the same, then do this: find two long pipes or sticks. Lay one across all the handlebars and zip-tie the tops of the handlebars to the stick tight. This will keep all the bikes upright and the forks pointing straight ahead. Now lay the other stick across all the saddles. Use bungie cords to strap it down to each of the saddle. This will keep the backs of the bikes from moving around. If you can anchor the two sticks to the walls of the moving van, or cut the sticks to the exact width of the inside of the van, even better.
Old 11-23-22, 04:29 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 293 Posts
I’ve moved out of state numerous times using professional movers. 4 moves ago the company “lost” my tandem. I received a settlement but still couldn’t believe it.

In my last two moves, my C&V road bike collection had grown to around 12. I had another 6 mountain bikes and cruisers I was less particular about. In each case, I rented a truck and moved the C&V bikes and other items I did not want the movers to handle. I got a big enough truck to stand all the bikes upright and separated each with cardboard and towels. Worked out fine, just a hassle and added expense.

For the MTBs and cruisers, the most recent movers did a very nice job of wrapping each bike in heavy moving blankets and working them into various nooks and crannies on the truck. They all arrived fine. In hindsight, I would have let them handle the C&V collection this same way and avoided the 2nd truck hassle.

Long distance moves are stressful and exhausting. Good luck.
Old 11-25-22, 12:07 PM
djomlas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you everybody for the replies what I did is actually call a couple of bike shops and they gave me so far 15 bicycle boxes so I’m just gonna take them apart slightly and put them in the boxes. They all have shipping materials and packing stuff in there so they should be OK that way I’ll have to just line up the boxes in a moving truck accordingly
they were all happy to hand me the boxes so they dont have to break them apart and take
to recycling center. Win win
Likes For djomlas:
Old 11-27-22, 01:33 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
I'm with Barry on the group ride.
Failing that, I might consider getting 20 of the front fork quick release brackets you see in the back of pick ups and screwing them to the floor of a rented truck. I think that would take lots less time than breaking down and wrapping each one.
Good luck.
Old 11-29-22, 08:40 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
I have done moves with nine bikes, but never twenty. On my moves, the moving company (packers) carefully wrapped each bike (generally turning the handlebars). I have had moves from both Africa and Indonesia to the US, and from the US to Indonesia and Dubai with no damage, including to paint jobs, to my bikes. Use a reputable moving company.
Old 11-29-22, 05:12 PM
m.c. 

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
I recently moved and nothing was planned well, I ended up moving my bikes in a Uhaul. I stacked most of them in however they would fit and tried to cushion then the best I could. It was a short trip to the storage so it wasn't too bad.
Old 12-04-22, 06:44 PM
djomlas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tony Marley
I have done moves with nine bikes, but never twenty. On my moves, the moving company (packers) carefully wrapped each bike (generally turning the handlebars). I have had moves from both Africa and Indonesia to the US, and from the US to Indonesia and Dubai with no damage, including to paint jobs, to my bikes. Use a reputable moving company.
i am the moving company lol
i do t trust people w my stuff