Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thomson clamp bolt stripped out

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-22, 07:43 AM
brokewheelspoke

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

So yesterday I went to swap my seatpost. I was quite surprised when the bolt in my Thomson clamp stripped out on me, and rather easy at that. I've got a stripped bolt remover tool set, so I tried that first, but it just shredded the bolt even more. Finally, I cut a slot in the bolt with my dremel and removed it with a large flat head. Unfortunately, I didn't see a way to cut a slot in the bolt without also cutting into the clamp. I considered drilling the bolt out instead, but figured I'd likely ruin the threads, so either way I'd be damaging the collar.

In any case, the clamp being silver, but the bolt being another color, I started to wonder if it was actually a Thomson bolt. I bought the clamp a long time ago, but don't remember from where, so figured it was possible someone sold me something fake. After doing a little visual research online, it seems Thomson collar bolts are in fact that color. I contacted Thomson about it, but they very quickly said it's not their bolt and told me to use a torx bit to remove a stripped bolt. A rather abrupt and unhelpful reply, and I'm quite certain a torx bit would have shredded the bolt just as well. My stripped bolt remover set has worked well for me before, but the metal on this bolt was just soft and cheap. I temporarily put another bolt in the collar to use until I can replace it.

I do like Thomson products overall, but given this negative experience, I went looking for a Salsa lip lock collar instead. Turns out they're harder to find now, so ended up ordering a Wolf Tooth to replace it.

I'm just curious on other people's experiences with Thomson products, especially collars, and if you've had bolts strip like this. Also, can anyone here conclusively say if that's a Thomson bolt?

Thanks.

Old 12-13-22, 07:47 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Pounding a torx in is always the first choice for stripped allens
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-13-22, 11:41 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26387 Post(s)
Liked 10,364 Times in 7,196 Posts
...I suspect that your bolt, "soft and cheap", is made of something other than steel, in order to save weight. Nothing in life is free, it's all a tradeoff.
Old 12-13-22, 11:58 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Bolts are engineered to break. The logic is that the bolt is cheaper and easier to replace than what it holds together

Thomson, doesn't make that bolt, they buy a stock item plated for them.

Odds are that corrosion bound the bolt taking the removal torque above the design limit. Or it was over torqued on installation.

OTOH there's always the chance that somewhere in production, someone picked up a bolt and tossed it among ones back from heat treating.

BTW call or email Thomson and they'll send you a free replacement.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-13-22, 06:35 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
What is the condition of your hex drive bit? If it is worn down/rounded off it is more likely to strip out a bolt head. If so, grind it back to sharp corners or replace it, they are consumables. There are also compounds such as Vibra-Tite Drive Grip https://www.vibra-tite.com/specialty...ite-drivegrip/ which will help avoid stripping.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 12-14-22, 08:53 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Oh, man! You trashed your bolt AND your seat clamp! No good reason for either.
Old 12-14-22, 06:31 PM
brokewheelspoke

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
This was a faulty product, and there's nothing I could have done to prevent the bolt from rounding off. Thomson won't replace it, but that's OK; I'm not sure I'd trust another collar from them. I've never had issue with Salsa or any of the $4 collars that came on my bikes over the years. Just wish Salsa still made their lip lock collars. But I think the Wolf Tooth I ordered will do fine.

For my tools, I've got the Bondhus color coded metric allen wrench set as well as some metric allens I got from McMaster-Carr. None are worn out. As best as I can recall, this is only the 2nd or 3rd bolt in 10+ years that I've had strip on a bicycle, and I've gone through a lot of bicycles.
Old 12-14-22, 07:27 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
I doubt the bolt was “faulty.”
Old 12-14-22, 09:42 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by brokewheelspoke
Just wish Salsa still made their lip lock collars. .
Salsa Lip Locks are still a current item and readily available.