Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help needed in Pedal ID

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Help needed in Pedal ID

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-22, 07:11 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Help needed in Pedal ID

I have some SPD pedals that need rebuilding for a click.
Searching has not been fruitful.
Anybody have any tips on who makes them so I can source some new bearings?
Thanks
Old 12-25-22, 07:46 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
I have some SPD pedals that need rebuilding for a click.
Searching has not been fruitful.
Anybody have any tips on who makes them so I can source some new bearings?
Thanks
The pedals are probably loose bearing pedals and are likely quite small…1/8” is likely. You should be able to get the bearings from a bike shop or hardware store. They won’t need anything terribly special in terms of grade. But pedals are seldom worth the effort of rebuilding especially (kind of) off brands like VP. There are tons of pedals out there. If you have a bicycle co-op near you, you can likely find a bin of them that will cost you next to nothing.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-25-22, 07:49 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
As best I can read from your photograph they were made by VP Components who makes a wide variety of low to middle range pedals. Here is their web site: https://www.vpcomponents.com/. You should be able to find your exact pedals in the product list.

I expect these use cup-and-cone bearings and most likely 1/8" or 5/32" loose bearing balls. Any bike shop or industrial supply shop will have them. The tricky part of many of these pedals is adjusting the cone and locknut as the space around them is tight and most common sockets are too thick.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-25-22, 10:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Just from the photo, I suspect (do not know), that they will not be serviceable.

The diameter of the spindle portion of the pedal body seems small for a ball bearing.

Many pedals with similar dimensions do not have the classic BB construction. Instead, they have plain bearings (bushings) or sometimes a needle bearing on the crank side and a bushings on the outer end.

I suggest you see if you can pry off the plastic end cap and see what's what. If it's not obviously serviceable, warm up some thick oil, stand the pedal up, and let gravity take it through to the far end.

If you cannot open it up, same thick oil, but wicked in from the crank end.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-26-22 at 01:47 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-26-22, 01:17 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Sort of echoing the above. With a backup pedal on hand I would first open them up. This does two things. First, it makes sure they will come apart and go back together without some critical plastic piece breaking. Second, it will tell you what is in there. I did that with my wife’s cheap SPDs and found nothing but a plastic sleeve and some grease. Fresh grease and they’ll get another 10 years of light use. They might be just a sleeve bushing, could be loose bearings, or on a slim chance (given the price point and type) might be a cartridge of some sort. Easy enough to measure once you’re there.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 12-26-22, 08:50 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Thanks to all.
I had tried searching on the logo, and wasn't getting a V out of their logo design. (LP?,IP? wow was I far off)
I would never have figgered that one, so thanks again.
Appear to be VP-M32 MTB bike pedals with Axle Cr-Mo. Bearings are LSL & sealed ball bearings, found new pedals for ~$40.
Their bearings are a bit loose and notchy but when I got down and dirty with them, found the click/clunk was from the NDS BB bearing.
with the pedals not tight , but not the clunk.
Dust covers can't come off in non destructive way, So I'll round up some spares before "investigating" them,
since my wine cork bar ends have already elicited comment.
Grinding down sockets has not been the most productive thing I've ever done,
this may be more a post mortem than repair.

Once again my thanks to all

Last edited by bikebikebike; 12-26-22 at 09:05 PM.