Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike shops

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-22, 10:43 AM
St.eve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike shops

I am looking for a shop that would be interested in servicing a 1971 Raleigh Super
Course. I live in the Palm Springs, California area. Thanks, Steve
Old 12-31-22, 11:38 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
You might have a drive.
to many current shops this is equal to an alien spaceship landing. Depending on what was changed or not, cottered cranks, maybe even Simplex plastic bodied derailleurs.

I would go to The Bicycle Stand in Long Beach.
might ask for Evan.

might try The Cyclesmiths in Ranchita Ca - San Diego county- as the crow flies probably closer but have not referenced travel time. Jim Allen is the proprietor.

these are rebuildable but take longer than a top tier bike of the era. Bottom line, if for yourself and has deep sentimental value, GO, if the goal is resale and recoup the investment. NO!
Old 12-31-22, 11:57 AM
St.eve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike shops

Thanks for the reply. I want to keep the bike. I am the only owner, and it has been inside and unridden since the 80's. It is all original except the rear rim, chain, gear cluster, tubes and tires. I don't work on bikes so I want to find someone with an interest in vintage Raleigh bikes. Probably could use new cables. I will check out the places you mentioned. Thanks again, Steve
Old 12-31-22, 12:43 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by St.eve
Thanks for the reply. I want to keep the bike. I am the only owner, and it has been inside and unridden since the 80's. It is all original except the rear rim, chain, gear cluster, tubes and tires. I don't work on bikes so I want to find someone with an interest in vintage Raleigh bikes. Probably could use new cables. I will check out the places you mentioned. Thanks again, Steve
"I don't work on bikes" - why not? Most of the regulars on this thread service their own bike. For more major work, many have developed a network of friends who have specialized tools and/or skills. I recommend learning how to do basic maintenance. It ain't rocket science.

Here in Portland, Oregon we have lots of bike shops that could work on your bike. Note, however that a "standard tune-up" is over $100 + parts. You can get a basic tool kit for $40 on Amazon that is enough to nearly strip the bike down to individual components and reassemble it. Cable kits can be had for cheap. You can find all sorts of videos on working on older bikes - which are much simpler than new ones! I was 15 when I bought Super Course and did all the work myself, even then. Back then we had these things called "books" which you could find in the local library.

If that's more than you want to take on, and just want to ride the bike, a quick check shows you have over a dozen bike shops in Palm Springs. I'm sure most of them would be happy to service your bike, just call around.

Bicycle co-ops often have repair classes, and will provide all the tools and hints you'd need, as well as having the spare parts you might need. I didn't see any bicycle co-ops in Palm Springs, but you could extend your search in the Inland Empire. Since you posted here, I'm sure someone not too far from you can help out with other suggestions.
Old 12-31-22, 01:12 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
I am looking for a shop that would be interested in servicing a 1971 Raleigh Super
Paging @Robvolz
Old 12-31-22, 01:47 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
+1 on the encouragement to get some tools to work on it, take a look at Sheldon Brown's website (among others, but it's where I started), and get a feel for things. As for shop suggestions, call around, or visit the shops in person. To me, the facts of the bike bought new in 1971, and you living in the Palm Springs area, says 'retired' or nearly so (or rather, not a working stiff like others of us here--certainly me), so my educated guess is that you may have some time available to go to some of these shops in person and talk to the mechanics or managers that will either at least take a look at your bike or, if asked if there's a shop that takes more of a shining to older rides, point you in the direction of another shop.

Your bike may just need some cables and the chain lubed, maybe brake pads replaced. Or it may need more. I'd like to think that a dry climate like Palm Springs, will not have subjected a bike to temperature+moisture swings like they would up here in the Pacific Northwest. I think errant golf balls are more of an existential threat to a bicycle in your area.
Old 12-31-22, 02:06 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
I would start at Palm Springs Cyclery in the Sun Center on South Palm Canyon Drive. We stay in PS for a couple weeks each February and the few times I’ve needed a part or something they have been very helpful. From looking around over the years, it comes closest to an old timey shop. Look for and approach the oldest guy in the store.

While you’re there check out Peninsula Pastry, same shopping center. Amazing French baked goods.
Old 12-31-22, 02:43 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I recommend learning how to do basic maintenance. It ain't rocket science.
But what if you can't turn a nut on a threaded bolt?

Or far worse, you don't have the time to turn a nut on a threaded bolt?
Old 12-31-22, 03:16 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
But what if you can't turn a nut on a threaded bolt?

Or far worse, you don't have the time to turn a nut on a threaded bolt?
When trouble strikes, at any time, at any place...
Old 12-31-22, 04:07 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Thank you. For a number of years, my nickname at home has been "bicycle repairman." I would return from work to hear my wife tell me about a car, appliance, or piece of plumbing or electrical on the blink and preface her remarks with "We have a job for Bicycle Repairman."

I got started with construction toys (Erector set, Legos, etc.), then wrenching on bicycles in high school, then appliances and automotive repairs, and finally plumbing ,electrical, carpentry, drywall, etc. when we bought our first house, which was a 50-year-old fixer in almost tear-down condition. (One does what one must to gain a toehold in the Los Angeles housing market.) I raised my boys to work on bikes, cars, et al. with me, and both are pretty adept with tools today.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 12-31-22, 06:04 PM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
In addition to new cables, it will need new grease, new bar tape, possibly new bearings as well. Once you get your minimum of posts in, you should be able to post some pictures so that we can see what you have and what we think it needs.

All of the maintenance can be done in your own garage or basement, assuming you have the proper tools. You're better off doing it yourself, IMO. We can help.
Old 12-31-22, 06:23 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
OP,
If you have the time and the inclination, I would recommend doing the work yourself. The cost to have someone else do the work will offset some of the cost of the tools necessary outsource the job at hand AND you might find it very enjoyable. There are a lot of members here that can/will offer you advice as well as many videos on youtube to help guide you on you quest. I find the videos helpful much more than reading a manual because you can replay a scene over and over to actually see how things are done.
If you don't want to do the work, I would call around to see who can do the work for you....visit the shop with your bike to get a feel if the shop wants/can actually do the work. The shop mentioned in Long Beach can be very
expensive.....Try Helens Cycle in Santa Monica and ask for Gilbert.
Thanks for joining us!
Good Luck, Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-31-22, 06:56 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 655 Posts
man o man. I’m home now. And I had my bag of park tools w me.

from Palm Springs I drove to Velo in Pasadena. They sell new and vintage and there is no part they won’t have as needed.

congrats on the find. I suspected there should be a fine selection of classic bikes there due to the aging populous. But all I saw were balloon tired cruisers.

good luck.

Originally Posted by merziac
Paging @Robvolz

Last edited by Robvolz; 01-01-23 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-31-22, 09:25 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 602 Posts
You made it! (Glenn from your FB post). Welcome to the rabbit hole.
Old 12-31-22, 09:30 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
my sister goes to Gypsy Cycles in Yucca Valley, but she lives in Yucca too.
7475 Warren Vista Avenue, Yucca Valley, CA
I've never personally been there.