Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Velocals alternatives for early Raleigh International decals

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-22, 12:21 PM
msl109

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

Hi folks - sorry to see Velocals won't be making any more decals. I'm looking for an alternative for a decal set, particularly the top tube "International" decal for early models - I believe mine is a 71 or 2. It takes the smaller international logo with the border surrounding it, not the more common later one. The others are easy to find, but that one is tricky - Lloyd didn't seem to have it, not can I find a clear image of it online. Any forum members doing this service or dues anyone have a master image I could just take to a printer?
Old 12-31-22, 12:56 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
Try Cyclomondo . Greg is pretty good, Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 12-31-22, 01:10 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Try Cyclomondo . Greg is pretty good, Smiles, MH
Don't see that one on Cyclomondo, but I'll reach out. Thanks!
Old 12-31-22, 01:14 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
H. Lloyd of the U.K. will probably have what you are seeking, but they may not have a "set". I had to piecemeal for my SBDU decals but they did have them all.
Old 12-31-22, 02:15 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
H. Lloyd of the U.K. will probably have what you are seeking, but they may not have a "set". I had to piecemeal for my SBDU decals but they did have them all.
Didn't see it there either. Doubt I'll find a "set" anywhere, as those years the decals sets were kind of hybrids...
Old 12-31-22, 05:28 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
My LBS recommended Gus Salmon Decals or SSSink, especially for one off or customs, he said he liked their stuff better than Velocals or CycloMondo.
Old 12-31-22, 05:42 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,797 Times in 1,408 Posts
SSSInk only provides decals to professional painters or restorers. Gary will not ship to regular folks like me.
Likes For iab:
Old 12-31-22, 09:47 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
H Lloyd has it for $4.00 but you have to look under the heading of Carlton not Raleigh. I believe it was on page 3 under Carlton.
Old 01-01-23, 11:48 AM
msl109

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
My LBS recommended Gus Salmon Decals or SSSink, especially for one off or customs, he said he liked their stuff better than Velocals or CycloMondo.
That's good to know - I'll reach out to Salmon, as I really only need certain decals - can do the striping myself, and I'm still not 100% sure about the exact combination of decals on what I'm pretty sure it's a '72. There were a lot of oddball combinations of Carlton / Raleigh decals on that model in those years, just as there were a lot of oddball variations in the choice of frame tubes and lugs.
Old 01-01-23, 11:54 AM
msl109

Originally Posted by Pcampeau
H Lloyd has it for $4.00 but you have to look under the heading of Carlton not Raleigh. I believe it was on page 3 under Carlton.
Oops. Thanks - appreciate it, but I caught your post right after I ordered just the top tube decals from Velocals (for a bit more, grrr..) Thought it was the safe move since no one else seemed to have the combination and they were still taking orders at midnight New Year's eve. But Lloyd looks like a good option to piecemeal the rest of the decals together at what seems to be a bit more reasonable cost than others.
Old 01-02-23, 07:15 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
FYI: I have used Gus Salmon and his work is exemplary …. He is not cheap (if doing custom work) but you will not be disappointed.
Old 01-04-23, 07:51 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I got a set of decals for my Lenton from these folks
https://bicycledecals.net/ (World Cycle Decals)
They have decals for quite a few Raleighs.

Their decals are not water slide. You peel and stick and no second chances. I had a lot of trouble with the decals for the Lenton because there are lots of little individual decal pieces and it can be hard to peal the decals off the facing paper. I screwed up the first set and to their credit they sent me another set at no charge along with a video showing the best way to peel them. using their instructions and being VERY careful, I was able to get everything installed on the frame and they look great. Their price was very fair and I will use them again. Just beware of decals with lots of individual tiny bits that have to stay in place on the backing paper. I used an exacto knife while peeling off the face paper to make sure all the small decal bits stayed on the backing. Larger letters shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-09-23, 05:54 AM
msl109

Originally Posted by capnjonny
I got a set of decals for my Lenton from these folks
https://bicycledecals.net/ (World Cycle Decals)
They have decals for quite a few Raleighs.

Their decals are not water slide. You peel and stick and no second chances. I had a lot of trouble with the decals for the Lenton because there are lots of little individual decal pieces and it can be hard to peal the decals off the facing paper. I screwed up the first set and to their credit they sent me another set at no charge along with a video showing the best way to peel them. using their instructions and being VERY careful, I was able to get everything installed on the frame and they look great. Their price was very fair and I will use them again. Just beware of decals with lots of individual tiny bits that have to stay in place on the backing paper. I used an exacto knife while peeling off the face paper to make sure all the small decal bits stayed on the backing. Larger letters shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't look like they have the early International decals.