Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Reynolds 725 vs. other options

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-23, 08:41 AM
jmitchelltfo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

First, let me apologize in advance for resurrecting a nine year old thread. I am considering a couple different options for custom built steel and Ti frames. I am currently 6'2'' 280 and want a gravel/commuter for reference.

I'm not worried about the extra weight of a steel frameset, but never thinking about corrosion on Ti would be nice........plus they look pretty sweet too.
I currently have a double butted 4130 Bombtrack that I ride and I really like it, but would like a custom sized frame. I will say that I flex the chainstays enough to hear the rotors touching the pads when I mash hard on a climb

My options for the steel frame builder,
Heat treated Chromoly 4130 double butted steel,
Reynolds 725
Reynolds 520
Columbus Cromor

Which of these would be the best recommendation? I'm leaning towards 725 but would love to hear opinions from experienced individuals.

Last edited by jmitchelltfo; 01-19-23 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-19-23, 09:19 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by aprieto28
I have a Rodriguez Rainier built with Reynolds 725 tubing. Where does that stand in the Reynolds family?
It's the dog's bollocks. Heat-treated double-butted seamless chromoly. The higher the number the "better" so it's second from the top of the pack excluding the stainless ones. Reynolds don't sell any low-end tubes and there isn't really much difference across the range (although there were some aberrations in the past with things like 453-- I actually had a 453 bike).
Likes For guy153:
Old 01-19-23, 09:20 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Rudebob
Um, isn't 725 just 4130 chrome-moly steel? Also, based on the chemistry, 931 appears identical to 17-4 precipitation hardening stainless steel. Both of these a pretty common fabricating alloys.

'bob
Yes but "just" 4130 chrome-moly is basically as good as it gets.
Old 01-19-23, 09:34 AM
jmitchelltfo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
It's the dog's bollocks. Heat-treated double-butted seamless chromoly. The higher the number the "better" so it's second from the top of the pack excluding the stainless ones. Reynolds don't sell any low-end tubes and there isn't really much difference across the range (although there were some aberrations in the past with things like 453-- I actually had a 453 bike).
Stainless would be nice. The Otso Fenrir definitely caught my eye when they came out. I haven't found any custom stainless options that would be a reasonable cost.
Old 01-19-23, 10:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by jmitchelltfo
Stainless would be nice. The Otso Fenrir definitely caught my eye when they came out. I haven't found any custom stainless options that would be a reasonable cost.
And you're unlikely to find a custom SS frame at a low cost. SS is far more sensitive to joining methods and the fabrication takes more skill and care, independent on the raw tube set cost being more. Then there's the finishing aspect. If you also want a paint free finish the surfaces will need polishing. Add a few more hours to the completion time frame for that process.

SS had it's moment in the sun a number of years ago. A lot of builders tried one or more of the various SS tube offerings and some decided to not offer SS to customers due to all this. Generally those who continue to build w/ SS know their costs and what the market will bear. Andy
Old 01-19-23, 11:21 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I moved this to its own thread because people were going to reply to the old posts, most of which barely add anything. The old thread was here, it had some tech info: https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuil...l#post16474494

Given your choices, I would definitely take 725. I would consider Ti as well, if it's in your budget. I think with Ti it would be easier to keep the rotors from touching under high loads. But there might be a comfort tradeoff. I would ask a steel framebuilder how they propose to handle this issue, and possibly modify my choice given their answer.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-19-23, 12:45 PM
jmitchelltfo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I

Given your choices, I would definitely take 725. I would consider Ti as well, if it's in your budget. I think with Ti it would be easier to keep the rotors from touching under high loads. But there might be a comfort tradeoff. I would ask a steel framebuilder how they propose to handle this issue, and possibly modify my choice given their answer.
Thanks for the insight.

I will start asking some more detailed questions about wall thickness and how to keep the rear triangle stable without rattling my teeth out.
Old 01-19-23, 02:19 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
IMHO if you have a good builder they should be able to give you the ride you want. part of what you are paying a builder for is knowledge and expertise.

I have build in progress and am happy with the process. tube details were not really discussed in detail, but end result desired was

not sure what "reasonable cost is" varies person my person, but I looked at my cost and was not more than the equivalent level carbon frame set from a known brand

have fun with the project