Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The "though shall not have the final piece" law strikes again!!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-22-23, 02:32 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,933 Times in 1,763 Posts

Well now that I confirmed the Motta did need a 111mm spindle BB I figured I'd go ahead and mount all the components on it in prep for the cables and housing arriving. Turns out the BB that came on it is a 111mm one but it's weird to me. It's some kind of cartridge BB with both cups being flanged type that only tighten with a hook wrench. At first I thought someone had cobbled it together but one cup is marked left and the other right. It does seem to fit and I don't feel any play. I'm just not optimistic about it remaining tight. So I started looking to see what I have on hand. Found 3 Campagnolo cartridge 102mm ones and some replacement cups. I also found another Campagnolo 111mm cartridge one I took off of something. But weirdly it has two of the non drive cups on it, no cup with a flange for the drive side. And of course, all those 102mm cups I have don't fit on the 111mm one. I also realized that I hadn't actually measured the one that came with the 8 speed kit. It actually is the needed 111mm spindle but...british cups. Freak!

So, as happens way too often one little piece stops me. This seems to happen way to often dealing with this bikes. Time to go hunting on the internet and spending more money. Every time I think I'll build on on the cheap I wind up spending too much money. I love this hobby....

But cups on the BB that came with it look like this:

And on the drive side the shoulder on the taper on the drive side is inside the cup still. Doesn't seem right.
Old 01-22-23, 02:54 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by hazetguy
you use a Park BBT-4 to remove/install that bottom bracket.
True but a hook wrench works too. Trying to avoid buying another tool.
Old 01-22-23, 02:55 PM
jamesdak 

Sooooo.... let me ask this too. If I used the one cartridge BB I have with two adjustable cups is that a real problem. Seems like it may be a way to perfectly dial in the driveline or is my thinking wrong?
Old 01-22-23, 03:17 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 780 Posts
personally I hate this "Thun style" BB (Campy or otherwise) and throw them away whenever I can.
But your choice if you chose to try to retain it...could be you'll have better luck with them but I have no love for 'em!
however in an effort to get the damn things out I invested in cheap (maybe water-jet-cut) China-made wrench (not a Park) that fits fine but is a hassle to use: must be clamped somehow to prevent slipping and making a bad designed thing even worse!
If you want to borrow it I'd be happy to ship if you paid both "to and fro", but I bet you might find it's cheaper just to buy your own wrench (or borrow from somebody closer).
Old 01-22-23, 03:21 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
So did this BB come with the frame? What do you need for the crankset you're going to use? You're welcome to borrow my tools for postage but these days it might be cheaper to buy one

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-22-23, 04:00 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
That's a Veloce BB for a triple, and that is the way they came. I have a NIB 115 around somewhere.
Old 01-22-23, 04:18 PM
jamesdak 

The tool isn't the problem but I do appreciate the offers. I've already had it off and put it back on with a hook wrench. I just don't care for these type BB's and want to use a better one. The two 111mm I have feel buttery smooth but without just the proper cups, hence my venting post, LOL!
Old 01-22-23, 04:43 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked 3,101 Times in 1,954 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Sooooo.... let me ask this too. If I used the one cartridge BB I have with two adjustable cups is that a real problem. Seems like it may be a way to perfectly dial in the driveline or is my thinking wrong?
Maybe if you put some blue goo on there, but I think one or both of the sides might loosen perhaps from retrogression (is that the right term?)
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 01-22-23, 04:43 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Money, money, money, regarding bikes. I try hard to spend money only on things I really need. I am so often unsuccessful at that. I get something in my head, I resist for awhile, then, one day, I think "I really want to try this", and bang, I cave. My latest is switching another bike to bar ends that will be used in friction mode. It is an Airborne Zeppelin ti that I have had to make significant changes to the contact points to be able to still ride it in comfort. It's an aggressive geometry, my spinal column, especially the cervical area, responds poorly to that. I put Porteur bars on it with 5700 brifters, They work fine but kind of get in the way of my hands. So, bar ends and crossover type brake levers, Tektro R720. I did that to my Poprad and have been very pleased with the result. Due to the friction, I can run 11 speed cassette without changing derailleurs and brakes. Now, my thought is to get a cheapo 12 speed cassette just to see if that will work, then have a 1 x 12. It really makes no sense.
James, btw, the bike has been all silver drivetrain and brakes, but after seeing the above bike with the black chain rings on it, I did that to the Zeppelin, and I really like the looks. Black bar, levers, post and saddle, pump, cable housing, rims. I find the black and silver contrasting to be eye catching. But, I am color blind, so maybe that is why I like the silver and black.
Old 01-22-23, 05:30 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 637 Posts
nice frame and congrats on a nice bike
Old 01-22-23, 06:14 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
"Thou shalt have no ..?"
Old 01-22-23, 06:37 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,252 Posts
I have the same BB in 111 but it's English. Same odd recessed taper too.
Old 01-22-23, 06:40 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts
I dunno, are you able to get anywhere near 70nm with a hook wrench on those cups? In a straight conversion, 70nm equates to far king tight.

I don't see why you can't use the adjustable cup on the drive side...try it and report back!

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
retrogression (is that the right term?)
Nah that describes all of us. I think you mean precession.
Old 01-22-23, 06:51 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
"Thou shalt have no ..?"
Shhhh.......

If you mind wandered as badly as mine you'd understand, LOL!

It's actually quite frustrating how difficult simple things are now, like typing coherently.
Old 01-22-23, 08:01 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 448 Posts
No Problem

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Your "line of thinking" is not wrong.

Adjustable cups on both sides is the approach Phil has used since 1971. As they are a bit pricey, the Sugino and Suntour offerings suffice for our builds. New cartridge bearing are readily sourced and usually easily replaced. Sugino/Suntour uses aluminum cups and rings while Phil utilizes stainless it seems. Suspect Merz uses titanium.

Have never experienced any issue with adjustable cups on both sides. Don't know why all BBs aren't designed this way.

source.
Likes For machinist42: