Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Blue bike lights (article)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-17, 12:02 AM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Has anyone actually been ticketed for using blue bike lights?

According to this article:

Blue bike lights are legal in most states. Interpreting state lighting laws that makes them legal isn’t simple. Bicycles are classified as vehicles and they have different lighting laws than motor vehicles. Laws that specifically prohibit blue lights on motor vehicles make them legal on non-motor vehicles. States that prohibit flashing blue lights on a vehicle may allow the use of blue bike lights if they aren’t flashing.
State: New York
Blue Bike Lights: Questionable
Standard Lighting Requirements: Red or amber rear light
Clarification / Requirements: No blue bike light restrictions found. Statues are directed at motor vehicles.
Statue: 9 §375 (41) 4b
The linked NY law does indeed seem to only address motor vehicles and motorcycles regarding "Colored and flashing lights".
Old 05-28-17, 06:03 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Is blue bike lights a thing now? I've never seen them sold anywhere, nor have I ever seen them on any bike I've encountered, and I ride often during early pre-dusk.

Around here a blue flashing light usual means snow removal vehicle.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 05-28-17, 06:09 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I use this one at night when traffic is super heavy. (mounted on my helmet)

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/...t-w-focus-zoom

Old 05-28-17, 06:24 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Coloured front lights are reserved for "special" and emergency vehicles. I'd not give myself the liberty to abuse that, even if no one would bother to fine me for it.
Old 05-28-17, 09:53 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It's a tempting idea because drivers are naturally more careful when they see blue lights or blue reflections, but I wouldn't risk it. I've only seen it a couple of times, on someone's pedals, and even I wondered if he was riding a police bike.
Old 05-28-17, 10:53 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
What's the difference between a rear facing brake light/4-ways on a car, rear facing bicycle flasher, and a rear facing strobe/LED on an ambulance??

Now blue... that's a new one for me! Here in Pennsylvania, blue is reserved for volly firemen/ambulance folks.
Old 05-28-17, 01:27 PM
vol

I've seen blue taillight on some bikes (though seen more using white light as taillight, which I think is worse). I have taillight that has blue and red. Sometimes when passing by a parked vehicle with very bright flashing lights at night, I think I was totally submerged and unnoticeable by the cars behind me if I just use regular red taillights. The little blue light as bike taillight is not easily mistaken to be police light.
Old 05-29-17, 03:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don't know of anyone ticketed for using blue lights, but as @Slaninar says, there doesn't seem much reason to use them.

I bought some wheel lights that clip into the spokes. I bought them very cheap directly from one of those Chinese web sites. The light was activated when it felt G forces and the ambient light was low. Clever design. But they alternated red and blue. Once, I was riding down a quiet suburban street in New Jersey, and an oncoming car driver pulled over and stopped! I didn't use those lights for long. Alternating blue and red are the colors on police cars in New Jersey.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-29-17, 10:14 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't know of anyone ticketed for using blue lights, but as @Slaninar says, there doesn't seem much reason to use them.

I bought some wheel lights that clip into the spokes. I bought them very cheap directly from one of those Chinese web sites. The light was activated when it felt G forces and the ambient light was low. Clever design. But they alternated red and blue. Once, I was riding down a quiet suburban street in New Jersey, and an oncoming car driver pulled over and stopped! I didn't use those lights for long. Alternating blue and red are the colors on police cars in New Jersey.

In my city, red-blue lights had started being popular for bicycles - a local Chinese shop had started selling them (rather cheap). It is a light combo for emergency and special vehicles. There was a few days of police action bothering to stop and fine a few cyclists and it was all over the news. That was it. I don't see people using such lights nowadays.
Old 05-29-17, 11:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've seen several folks using multi-color LEDs -- including blue -- on their wheels and frames. Haven't seen anyone using blue lights that might be mistaken for emergency vehicles.

Not sure it's even necessary. I've noticed cars yielding to me, even pulling over to the right and stopping, and realized they mistook my flashing white and red lights for an emergency vehicle. And I'm just using fairly ordinary lights, nothing particularly bright. Reminds me that for every driver who fails to show ordinary courtesy, there's at least one uncommonly conscientious driver who memorized every civics lesson.
Old 05-30-17, 12:46 AM
vol

Blue light is actually not very bright. Might be more visible if it's yellow, orange, pink, lime, purple...
Old 05-30-17, 05:56 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Premium 300 Lumens LED Bike Light By LGEGE – Waterproof, Super Bright & USB Rechargeable Safety Tail Light – Easy To Mount On Frame, Handle Bars & Helmet

I recently ordered and received one of these via amazon.
Very bright, USB recharge, and haven't been mistaken for police yet. Will have to wait and see how it holds up and performs over time.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-30-17, 09:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
@AusTexMurf, is there a reason you want a blue light? What message do you think it conveys?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-04-17, 10:38 AM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Minnesota law specifically requires a white light for the headlight when riding at night.

Is the idea of the blue light to make you more visible?
Old 06-04-17, 11:58 AM
Garilia

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't see any reason why I would use a blue light on my bike unless I was riding in a parade and that was part of the decoration. I'm quite content with white in front and red in back.
Old 06-04-17, 12:06 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
California

State: California

Blue Lights: Prohibited

Standard Lighting Requirements: Red rear reflector

Clarification / Requirements: “No person shall display a steady or flashing blue warning light on a bicycle.”

Statue: VC §21201.3 b
Well, never mind
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-05-17, 10:01 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@AusTexMurf, is there a reason you want a blue light? What message do you think it conveys?
No particular reason. I was looking for a cheaper replacement for my son's USB tail light as his was stolen from his middle school bike rack. 2nd time. Thought I would give this one a try. The light's first functions are red. Don't think it has ever been on the blue setting except for one local full moon cruise social ride from 11:59pm to approx. 4:20AM. Another one coming up this week June 8th. I have used blue LED lights on social rides many times over the past years. This light is really bright, blue or red. Don't really use blue light feature for commuting purpose. So far, decent purchase. Think I paid about $12 shipped. Cheap USB solution. We have 6 riders in our family with about 15 bikes (including custom built Bike Friday triple) to outfit. My wife's favorite/best commuter bike was recently stolen by serial bike theif in our 'hood. At least $1800 loss as outfitted. Gear gets expensive.
Old 06-05-17, 10:13 AM
Klaw

Bikes: Diamondback Response Sport '07 w BBSHD 1000W, Downtube 9FS ’08 w BBS02 750W, 2016 Cannondale Hooligan, 1996 Trek 800. 2022 Mercier Nano

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Heh glad I found this thread. Just purchased a rear rehargeable light that has 8 different settings, one of which is a blue/red flash and I immediately saw that and thought "that looks illegal". Not using it now.
Old 06-06-17, 09:22 PM
americanlt2

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Chicago our squad cars only use blue lights. No red at all. I think it would be illegal here.
Old 08-19-20, 05:25 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
When my commute was longer and part of it on a two lane county highway (no shoulder, narrow lanes) I would run side facing lights and use blue flashing for those. Reflectors only work when light is hitting them and I want to be visible long before that. I picked blue because why not? They aren't super bright, just enough to make me visible at night. My rear facing light has a blue flashing and red/blue flashing function. I'll use the red/blue during the day if I'm on the highway just to catch attention from a longer distance but at night I use the red only.

And for the record, I'm certain that website's references are outdated. It says it's illegal in my state to use blue lights but I recently looked it up and there was no mention of blue; only restricting the directional use of white and red (white facing forward only and red facing rearward only).