Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Where are the self taught wrenches out there?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-20, 05:25 PM
wrenchwench90

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What are some things that you would do to learn all about bikes and how to fix them? I'm very interested in hearing about how others ideas for what makes a exceptional mechanic. With the winter just started there are not any shops in my town hiring right now, so I'm doing all I can to research and work on the bikes I have at home (2 MTB Roadmasters a fixed gear and my 10 speed fuji).
Besides good cataloging habits, proper re-lubbing/repacking hub and BB bearings, and literally disassembling and re-lacing A DOZEN wheel sets, what would you do to practice at home?
Thanks for your input!!
Old 12-18-20, 05:37 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/repairs.html
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 12-18-20, 05:39 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Learning the trade in bike shops the early 1970s, after building my first wheel (badly) at age 14 in the mid-1960s, the most important thing I learned was to respect the strength limits of materials. Unfortunately, you had to break a certain number of bolts to learn that, in the days before the common use of torque wrenches.
Old 12-18-20, 05:55 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
My opinions alone...

Keep doing what you're doing and do real repairs also. As in "fix" the bikes, not just replace parts. Buy some old beaters at garage sales and fix them up and sell them at your own garage sale. You won't make much money if any but you'll learn a lot.

My first job as a mechanic was when I was 17 living in Ohio back in the early 1970's. The shop was owned by an old guy named "Al". Al also ran a mower repair shop in the basement. The first bikes I was given to repair were kids coaster brake bikes. They would have seized-up hubs, broken frames, bent forks were common, bent handlebars, badly twisted wheels, and badly dented rims from hitting curbs, etc.

I was expected to FIX these bikes, not replace parts. I can't tell you how many 100's of rims I banged-out to get the rim dents out. I learned how to braze and weld from his mower repair guy and repair/straightened frames and forks. I hated it at first, but then got to love it because I had to get creative to pass Al's approval. When I was ready Al taught me about Sturmey-Archer hubs. Yes, back in the day over-hauling those 3-speed hubs was a regular thing. I then graduated to "10-speeds" after he saw how well I tuned my Raleigh Super Course.

What I learned from Al served me well in bike and ski shops all the way through college. Well, that and working as a carpenter's helper in some of my first construction jobs. I became a "carpenter" when the guy I was working for turned me loose on laying out the framing for a house (I taught myself how to "read" blueprints). That's a whole different story...

Now, I know you're asking yourself, "Nobody does that now. Why should I learn how to do that?". The reason is those are skills that most bike mechanics don't have, at least not most of the ones I see. They are becoming lost skills. Those are marketable skills that translate to working on high-end bikes eventually. The other skills are learning how to really tune any bike so it rides 10x better than it did before...oh, and learning how to straighten the most badly bent wheel.

I'm 62 now and look back on those days at Al's Bike Shop fondly. Al was quite the character but he really knew his 5hit!
Likes For drlogik:
Old 12-18-20, 06:02 PM
wrenchwench90

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
My opinions alone...

Keep doing what you're doing and do real repairs also. As in "fix" the bikes, not just replace parts. Buy some old beaters at garage sales and fix them up and sell them at your own garage sale. You won't make much money if any but you'll learn a lot.

My first job as a mechanic was when I was 17 living in Ohio back in the early 1970's. The shop was owned by an old guy named "Al". Al also ran a mower repair shop in the basement. The first bikes I was given to repair were kids coaster brake bikes. They would have seized-up hubs, broken frames, bent forks were common, bent handlebars, badly twisted wheels, and badly dented rims from hitting curbs, etc.

I was expected to FIX these bikes, not replace parts. I can't tell you how many 100's of rims I banged-out to get the rim dents out. I learned how to braze and weld from his mower repair guy and repair/straightened frames and forks. I hated it at first, but then got to love it because I had to get creative to pass Al's approval. When I was ready Al taught me about Sturmey-Archer hubs. Yes, back in the day over-hauling those 3-speed hubs was a regular thing. I then graduated to "10-speeds" after he saw how well I tuned my Raleigh Super Course.

What I learned from Al served me well in bike and ski shops all the way through college. Well, that and working as a carpenter's helper in some of my first construction jobs. I became a "carpenter" when the guy I was working for turned me loose on laying out the framing for a house (I taught myself how to "read" blueprints). That's a whole different story...

Now, I know you're asking yourself, "Nobody does that now. Why should I learn how to do that?". The reason is those are skills that most bike mechanics don't have, at least not most of the ones I see. They are becoming lost skills. Those are marketable skills that translate to working on high-end bikes eventually. The other skills are learning how to really tune any bike so it rides 10x better than it did before...oh, and learning how to straighten the most badly bent wheel.

I'm 62 now and look back on those days at Al's Bike Shop fondly. Al was quite the character but he really knew his 5hit!

That's so amazing!! I volunteer at a bike co op in New Haven about 3 times a week, and I've just learned so much. I might have a job lined up in the spring, so I'm trying not to lose momentum at home. Yeah those sturmeys are nuts, I have two rear wheels from vintage 3 speeders!!!
Old 12-18-20, 06:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
It is going to be tough going for a lot of shops for a while, we can't get parts so we are having to let folks go. We will need to hire people and now is the best time to do it but with little money and product coming in we really can't.

One of the best things you can do is take it apart and put it back together. Start with the simplest bike and learn from that. Also if you have spare parts and a frame, building up a bike from the ground up is good learning. I learned a lot from working in a shop and not having much of a choice between sales and service as I had to do both and I loved it. Now I can go back to sales and various other tasks but I still wrench at home and sometimes in the shop when everyone else is just too busy to get it done or when someone doesn't know what to do. I am not a good mechanic by any stretch but there are things I have learned about some oddball stuff that I occasionally get to use which is nice and I can generally find compatible parts and such and can prevent people from making a poor mistake (at least if I can catch it in time). I have learned a lot building up bikes and taking bikes apart and figuring out what tools I need vs what I want.

I will say this, have good quality tools that you own. Go into that shop with your own box (or at least tools at the ready) a car mechanic will own their own tools and you should as a bike mechanic (aside from some of the bigger stuff you rarely use) Having your own tools means you will likely learn how to use them correctly and take care of them. If it is a shop tool it is the classic "I don't own 'em so who cares" my old shop had a lot of broken chain tools and missing tools and stuff like that because people just didn't care.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-18-20, 07:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I started with Tom Cuthbertson's "Anybody's Bike Book" in the 1970s. It was enough to teach me the basics for maintaining my 1970s Motobecane.

Nowadays I pore over forums and video tutorials looking for tips from experience mechanics. Takes a bit longer but there's information on almost any question I might have.

Beyond that, it's mostly about tools, tackling the job, making mistakes and gaining experience.

And there are still some jobs I take to my favorite LBS to be done properly. I can't justify the cost of some specialized tools that can't be replaced with the makeshift tools I can afford.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-18-20, 08:09 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I still have that (and Bike Tripping).
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 12-18-20, 08:23 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Read the directions and learn to troubleshoot. If you can learn to do these things then you can accomplish practically anything. I often joke that instructions exist to tell me I'm right once I've finished the job but if I'm dealing with something new or uncertain I've got no problem sitting and reading, can save time and can definitely save headaches. If something doesn't seem to work right ask yourself why and really look at what is happening.
I taught myself to fix bikes, did every repair myself and read the directions so that when I got my first real race bike I bought the frame and the parts, frame was a DeRosa from an LBS and the parts were from bargain hunting nashbar catalogs and ebay. Built it fully myself and second week I had it I had to stop in another shop for a tube due to a flat. Owner was checking out the bike and asking where I got it built. Explained I did it and asked if he had any openings, got a job the next week there.
Old 12-18-20, 08:39 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’m not a mechanic, so my advice may not be helpful. And it really is just my opinon and not based on any knowledge of the industry.

I’ve worked on cars, bikes, boats, etc. over the years. For stuff in my wheelhouse, I’d stack up my work against a lot of professionals except in one area... time.

With enough time, I can get something as close to perfect as anyone, but I would make a lousy mechanic.

If you want to be a working mechanic, I think you need to understand the problem and be able to fix it correctly is a reasonable amount of time. It doesn’t matter the trade, it is just having that ability to get it done and not tinker.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-18-20, 11:01 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
A good strategy is avoid the box store bikes like Roadmasters etc. Often they didn't function well even when new. Silk purse/sows ear.
It's hard to build self confidence and ability when you work on a bike that nobody can make perform well without a major parts upgrade of the entire drive train.
Look for stickers on the frame that state Cr-Mo (chrome moly) steel and butted tubing. They will be above the bottom feeder level with the other parts having a higher level of functionality. IOW, repairable.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 12-18-20, 11:32 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I do all of my own bike work, but that doesn't make me a "wrench" who would be anything but a nuisance in a real bike shop. I also do most of my own home repairs, but I can tell you a huge difference between myself and a professional tradesman such as a plumber or electrician. Those folks get the job done quick.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 12-19-20, 12:04 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Unfortunately, these days being a bike mechanic is much more complicated. Pre 2000 bikes, with a basic tool kit you could perform most repairs. Today, Learning to repair is the easy part, having the specialized tools is the expensive part.
Between forums, websites and Youtube, pretty much any repair lesson is at your finger tips, but with so many brands, their proprietary parts and the latest tech, it seems that with almost every bike, a new tool is needed.
Take your time and learn the basics, even though by today's standards, the basics are still much more than what they used to be.
Old 12-19-20, 06:21 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Time in the saddle makes a cowboy, and all cowboys start at home doing chores on the ranch.

Start working on your own machines, neighbors machines, junk machines found on the road. A very basic set of tools will get most of the job done, just a few bike specific tools are needed to do hubs. The skills develop over time and with repetition. Utube videos for some things are OK, however in-person training provides the fine details and exposure to the tricks of the trade. I find Shinamo documents invaluable, but one must take the time to read and comprehend the instruction provided. I learn best by reading and doing, but you may do better with videos.

As for getting a position in a bike shop that will be depend upon what skills you bring to the table. A 14 year old kid came into the shop this past summer after working on his bike. He wanted someone to look it over to make sure he did things right. Installed and bled brakes, new drive train, and repacked hubs. Everything was perfectly done. Told him to apply for a position in two years. He laughed and said he already had a job. That's the kind of person bike shops so desperately need! Come to find out he used utube videos and natural ability to get the job done.
Old 12-19-20, 06:22 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Instead of trying to learn "about bikes" in one shot, wait until something breaks or wears out and then buy the tool(s) and part(s) to repair/replace it. Learn one tool and one procedure at a time and, eventually, you will know everything you need to know about YOUR bike. Then, if you're interested and ambitious enough, use your tool collection and the knowledge you've gained to learn about other bikes and how to service them.
Old 12-19-20, 06:30 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I taught myself how to fix a bike by taking my bike apart when I was in high school and then putting it back together. One thing I learned is that it's a heck of a lot easier to take something apart than to put it back together right, : )
Likes For bikemig:
Old 12-19-20, 07:30 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I thought myself bike repair starting with a crescent wrench and a screwdriver working on my own BMX bike. I learned by fixing something that broke, “dialing in” something that I wanted to work better, or replacing a part that I wanted to upgrade. As I learned more, I was able to try more ambitious projects. As I graduated from single speed kid’s bikes to road bikes, my skills also grew.

My skills increased exponentially when I started volunteering at a co-op about ten years ago, as did my respect for full-time bike mechanics who can work efficiently. Volunteering at a non-profit can also make you understand what the right tool is for a job and will often let volunteers use those tools. This helps for those expensive tools for jobs that are few and far between like pulling a crown race or pressing a headset.
Old 12-19-20, 07:36 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Plan on having a second job.
Old 12-19-20, 07:38 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
If there's a non-profit shop nearby, offer to volunteer. Often there are some pretty good volunteer mechanics who can teach you some good habits, and you'll see a variety of problems. Of course, that's not a good option right now with this bug that's been going around.
Old 12-19-20, 07:45 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by wrenchwench90
What are some things that you would do to learn all about bikes and how to fix them? I'm very interested in hearing about how others ideas for what makes a exceptional mechanic. With the winter just started there are not any shops in my town hiring right now, so I'm doing all I can to research and work on the bikes I have at home (2 MTB Roadmasters a fixed gear and my 10 speed fuji).
Besides good cataloging habits, proper re-lubbing/repacking hub and BB bearings, and literally disassembling and re-lacing A DOZEN wheel sets, what would you do to practice at home?
Thanks for your input!!
My approach is when something is broke, fix it. If it's not broke, leave it alone. Unless I want to do an upgrade just for the heck of it. Learning is dictated by need. I can handle pretty much anything on my bikes but I don't do wheels. I'll true them up if they're slightly off, but I'm not building..not worth my time. Better to pay an expert.

I don't know what cataloging habits are. Once a year I go through my parts boxes and donate anything I don't anticipate needing to the local co-op.

In the past couple years the majority of my maintenance activity is: replacing brake pads, installing tubeless tires, new shift cables, and oiling the chain. And once in a while wiping the dirt off my bikes. I did build a gravel bike from frame up as well. That was fun.
Likes For billyymc:
Old 12-19-20, 08:59 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Since I was a young kid I have always been mechanically inclined and took things apart to see how they worked ( Mom called it destructive lol) and by the time I was 11 I was taking apart and fixing my 20" bikes, then my uncle taught me how to true a wheel and I got really good at that. At the same time I was into mini bikes, go karts and motorcycles which I learned to take apart fix and keep running and by the time I went to a vocational school for small engine repair I could already tear a engine down and put it back together and get it running which made me top in the class at the get go and really only learned procedures & trouble shooting from there. All I need to fix anything is a good manual lol. To me bikes are easy to work on but at the same time can be a pita lol, anybody can take something apart but learning what caused the failure and how to overcome problems along the way is what makes a good mechanic.I work on anything that's broke! what's the worse that can happen either I fix it or I don't (75% I do), Cars, bikes, electronics make no difference to me. Health is the only thing that gets in the way now that I'm older but I have taught myself many other fields of repair. Mechanics like me used to be everywhere but from what I've seen we are a dying breed,most mechanics today are parts changers.

Glenn

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 12-19-20 at 09:12 AM.
Likes For Glennfordx4:
Old 12-19-20, 09:49 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
A good mechanic can do the most with the least, and therefore will work on anything equally, whether the bike is top of the line or chain store. The client is the most important component, because the bike is nothing but decoration without them to ride it.
Your tools should feel natural in your hands, and your eyes should be on what you are doing with your hands feeling the job through the tools.
I like to build my workshop around me as I take on new tasks, and regularly spend an hour or two looking around places like DIY stores, handling the tools, brackets and stuff to imagine how I could build special tools from then. I buy the deadest bikes I can that has the parts I want to work on, because with them we have the least fear of getting it wrong.
Likes For Geepig:
Old 12-19-20, 11:37 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Waiting for OP's ten posts to be complete so he can post the link to his online course.
Old 12-20-20, 07:09 PM
Bandrada
Banned.

Bikes: ...

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6591 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 334 Posts
Strip down your bike to the bare frame and clean/polish it. Repack/Replace the bearings, even if they are "sealed." And then put it all back together. It's good practice, and you will have a smooth running machine. Feeding two birds with one scone.

I'm hardly self taught, but I can't really say I've ever been to any real school either. A lot of what I've learned has come by way of mistakes and a little bit of luck. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, and never deny a little intervention from lady luck. That's my advice.

Last edited by Bandrada; 12-20-20 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-21-20, 06:40 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Problem solving and basic mechanical aptitude are "must haves" to be a good mechanic. When you have exhausted the repairs and maintenance items on your own bicycles, seek out the bikes of neighbors to repair. Do this work for free, of course.

Then identify other things that might benefit from repair. Don't shy away from anything. Washing machines, meat grinders, sewing machines (pre-plastic 1960s Singers, for example), and the like. Learning to diagnose, to see into the mind of the designer (how a device was intended to operate), and figuring out how to correct what's wrong...these are the skills you'll need.

Invest a lifetime in fixing things for others. This will bring its own rewards.
Likes For Phil_gretz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.