Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Don't be these guys (two abreast in traffic)

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Don't be these guys (two abreast in traffic)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-22, 04:09 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Just a SWAG. I don’t thing there are any farmers on farmforums who are complaining about farmers driving on roads.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 04-20-22 at 04:22 AM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 04-20-22, 05:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
FWIW, I'm a farmer when I'm not riding bikes or trading cotton, and let me assure you drivers have roughly the same level of annoyance over tractors and farm equipment despite the fact that we are obviously not out taking recreational laps in the cotton picker. For that matter, people get annoyed if you stop to examine a label in the grocery store or take too long to consider the 893 variations on coffee at Starbucks. At some point, people simply have to make allowances for each other and/or put up with minor annoyances. I don't mind asking a driver (who may be doing something recreational themselves) to take an extra 10 seconds to pass safely while I'm out on my bike.

Here's the situation I've gotten into a few times that illustrates the double standard. My interpretation of NH law is that I should take the lane at an intersection where a right turn is possible and I'm going straight. I take that to mean that I should be operating just as if I was driving at that intersection. If there's a red light, I will wait it out in the lane. I've had drivers behind me go nuts because I won't get out of their way to allow them to right turn on red. I'm not going to put myself to the right of the lane because I will then have to go through the intersection in the blind spot of the drivers behind the car behind me. I am literally causing exactly the same "delay" as I would if I was driving in that situation. No one ever goes nuts on a driver or even a motorcyclist in that situation.

I will head to the right immediately after the intersection, btw, so don't even go there. Cars going straight are likely not delayed by me at all.
​​​​​
Old 04-20-22, 06:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Just a SWAG. I don’t thing there are any farmers on farmforums who are complaining about farmers driving on roads.

-mr. bill

I think there's a fair number of drivers who use the fact they ride a little bit as cover for expressing extreme anti-cyclist attitudes (kind of like the converted dentist on Seinfeld). Being a farmer is too much of an investment to make for rhetorical effect.
Old 04-20-22, 06:45 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Bikes are often ridden for leisure, which I think is the genesis for this complaint. This is a tough issue for sure, y’all can dump on OP all you want but the truth is that the main reason motorists hate us is because we get in the way and slow things down. I often have to ride on this fast street with just two lanes, and taking the lane forces many cars to merge lanes and slows things down. Unfortunately the shoulder is small with parked cars and lots of cars turning. There really isn’t a good solution, taking the lane would be safer (until a crazed cager takes me out) but is not very courteous to the other road users.

I think ignoring that getting in the way creates ill will towards cyclists is silly. Especially in context of dissing riders for runnings lights and stop signs. Not saying that these guys shouldn’t take the lane, but it absolutely upsets drivers. Pointing at laws ignores psychology and safety
Being alive trumps courtesy. You don't own the lane, people try to squeeze past and hit you. That's how I got hit. A lower speed limit area with a center lane raised curbing and they tried to squeeze as I didn't own the lane in that area. If I owned it, I never would have been hit and they would have safely gone around when the center curbing ended.

Next up, leisure. Outside of actual transit to and from your work, driving a car to/from places is also leisure. Movies, golf, filling faces with high calorie restaurant food, going to set the credit card on fire at the mall, church even............leisure. Not mandatory. So the leisure argument with bikes is just more victim blaming.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-20-22, 06:50 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Being alive trumps courtesy. You don't own the lane, people try to squeeze past and hit you. That's how I got hit. A lower speed limit area with a center lane raised curbing and they tried to squeeze as I didn't own the lane in that area. If I owned it, I never would have been hit and they would have safely gone around when the center curbing ended.

Next up, leisure. Outside of actual transit to and from your work, driving a car to/from places is also leisure. Movies, golf, filling faces with high calorie restaurant food, going to set the credit card on fire at the mall, church even............leisure. Not mandatory. So the leisure argument with bikes is just more victim blaming.
Not trying to victim blame, I don't even have a drivers license. just think that getting in the way is the number one complaint cars have about us
Old 04-20-22, 07:15 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Not trying to victim blame, I don't even have a drivers license. just think that getting in the way is the number one complaint cars have about us
Other cars get in their way far, far, far more than bikes (in terms of both frequency and total time lost).

There are some people who are just jerks (or, are having a bad day for some reason), and drive that way. There is no satisfying that type of driver, whether you're on a bike or driving a car. Most others are just ignorant of how to drive around cyclists. IME, once bicycle density reaches a certain point, they get familiar with driving around bikes and problems are much reduced.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 04-20-22, 08:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Cars don't have complaints. Drivers do. And just because they do doesn't mean they have any validity.

I find this hand-wringing of yours rather odd--you're the one who's told us why we should admire the jerkwad pedestrian-assaulting bike messenger in another thread, and you've been participating in a group ride that has a history of injuring bystanders. I don't think that puts you into a position to tell us what's likely causing hostility to cyclists.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-20-22 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-20-22, 02:18 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Separated bike lanes would address this concern but bad drivers are opposed to those too.
Old 04-20-22, 07:40 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Here's where we disagree--I don't think it's acceptable that cars causing delay is considered normal and bikes causing delay is the result of the cyclist doing something "wrong". and discourteous. I assert my legal rights in part to combat treating the attitudes you're describing as the norm.

You show me where a driver is expected to operate in an unsafe position or not use the road they want as a matter of "courtesy" and maybe I'd feel like that was worth discussing. In the meantime, as a driver, I am never actually delayed significantly by cyclists, but I get delayed by my fellow drivers routinely. It's considered a source of grievance when it's a bicyclist, it's normal operation when it's a driver. You might be satisfied with that double standard, I am not.

BTW, don't you participate in illegally large group rides? Those have to engender more anti-cyclist sentiment than anything I can imagine that doesn't involve intentional violence.
For perspective, I have NEVER been involved in a bicyclist induced traffic jam. I am in auto induced traffic jams daily.
Old 04-20-22, 09:19 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Cars don't have complaints. Drivers do. And just because they do doesn't mean they have any validity.

I find this hand-wringing of yours rather odd--you're the one who's told us why we should admire the jerkwad pedestrian-assaulting bike messenger in another thread, and you've been participating in a group ride that has a history of injuring bystanders. I don't think that puts you into a position to tell us what's likely causing hostility to cyclists.
It doesn't really matter if their complaints have validity, if they hit us it doesn't matter what the law says. I just think we should try to stay out of their way, part of flowing through traffic in a smooth casual way (the vid I posted was not someone flowing casually) is minimizing the amount of braking cars have to do. I'll go into oncoming traffic to yield to a car trying to turn for instance. I don't think cyclists should be obligated to do stuff like that, im a trained professional, but yeah staying out the cars way is much more important for improving motorists-cyclist relations than following the rules of the road. For what its worth cars seem to like me, I get a greeting or an encouragement from drivers on like half of my rides.
Old 04-21-22, 03:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It doesn't really matter if their complaints have validity, if they hit us it doesn't matter what the law says. I just think we should try to stay out of their way, part of flowing through traffic in a smooth casual way (the vid I posted was not someone flowing casually) is minimizing the amount of braking cars have to do. I'll go into oncoming traffic to yield to a car trying to turn for instance. I don't think cyclists should be obligated to do stuff like that, im a trained professional, but yeah staying out the cars way is much more important for improving motorists-cyclist relations than following the rules of the road. For what its worth cars seem to like me, I get a greeting or an encouragement from drivers on like half of my rides.

Sorry, but if you're doing stuff like that, you aren't minimizing anything and I think that's a load of crap. If you're hitting the sides of cars with your hands, you're definitely getting in their way.

Trained professional?! Get real. That's not a profession and there's no training program, just the willingness to endanger bystanders.

The riders in the OP were in a lot less danger of being hit than the jerks in your beloved messenger jerkwad videos. It isn't a matter of if those guys are going to get hit, it's a matter of when.

And hitting pedestrians is not a joke.
Old 04-21-22, 05:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
For perspective, I have NEVER been involved in a bicyclist induced traffic jam. I am in auto induced traffic jams daily.
Same, it used to be daily for me, but then I moved closer to the office.
Old 04-21-22, 10:03 AM
mr_bill

Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
For perspective, I have NEVER [emphasis mine] been involved in a bicyclist induced traffic jam. I am in auto induced traffic jams daily.
I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Is five weeks ago NEVER?

-mr. bill
Old 04-26-22, 04:04 PM
toto34

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They should pick a different road, srs. Otherwise, they are fine because there is no room to pass safe in that lane, even if they are single file.

One of the many reasons why people hate cyclists. You should know as a normal human not to block traffic like that. It is rude.
Old 04-27-22, 07:27 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by toto34
They should pick a different road, srs. Otherwise, they are fine because there is no room to pass safe in that lane, even if they are single file.

One of the many reasons why people hate cyclists. You should know as a normal human not to block traffic like that. It is rude.
As discussed earlier, they're northbound on a five+ lane road with plenty of opportunity for cars to get by them.

Here's their location: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8146...3920584,18.13z

What other road should they use to cross Peachtree Creek?

Northside Drive, Piedmont Rd, Cheshire Bridge, and Howell Mill are all similar roads. Lots of residential housing in the area so they could live nearby and be on their way to / from a cafe or somesuch.

Last edited by gpburdell; 04-27-22 at 07:45 AM.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 04-27-22, 03:17 PM
toto34

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
As discussed earlier, they're northbound on a five+ lane road with plenty of opportunity for cars to get by them.

Here's their location: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8146...3920584,18.13z

What other road should they use to cross Peachtree Creek?

Northside Drive, Piedmont Rd, Cheshire Bridge, and Howell Mill are all similar roads. Lots of residential housing in the area so they could live nearby and be on their way to / from a cafe or somesuch.
Tell that to motorists. You know they don't think cycle centric. I think they are fine, but in the big picture it is a bit of a disruption that can be avoided, and I took the OP at his word they were blocking traffic. Turn lanes and right lanes get backed up easy in big cities.

The location you gave me looks to be a really busy thoroughfare. Not sure if the link is getting me to the right location, but Looks like they can go to Northside Drive. It is not far and there is a dedicated lane according to Google. Also, looks like there is an even closer crossing point at the nearby golf course.

Whether cyclist or driver, it's rude to block traffic even for convince, but heck maybe it is the only option, idk.
Old 04-27-22, 05:13 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Tell that to motorists. You know they don't think cycle centric. I think they are fine, but in the big picture it is a bit of a disruption that can be avoided, and I took the OP at his word they were blocking traffic. Turn lanes and right lanes get backed up easy in big cities.

The location you gave me looks to be a really busy thoroughfare. Not sure if the link is getting me to the right location, but Looks like they can go to Northside Drive. It is not far and there is a dedicated lane according to Google. Also, looks like there is an even closer crossing point at the nearby golf course.

Whether cyclist or driver, it's rude to block traffic even for convince, but heck maybe it is the only option, idk.
The location is the traffic light at Biscayne and Peachtree, facing northbound. I've been through there many times, same for the various other roads.

Northside drive is one lane each direction plus a turning lane, doesn't have a dedicated bike lane to my knowledge, and thus even less opportunity for cars to get past cyclists. The pathway next to it is swarmed with pedestrians, dogs, kids, and strollers on any given weekend day. Plus, Collier Rd is pretty tight and little opportunity for anyone to pass.

We also don't know if they're on their way to or leaving from homes in the surrounding residential neighborhoods.

Also worth noting that with GA's three-foot law, I'm not sure single file would've made any difference in the ability for cars to get by them.

The OP tells one side of the story -- and folks who aren't familiar with the area will naturally make assessments based on their own area where there may be plenty of alternatives to traveling on such a road.

I say there's another side to the story we don't know, and thus it's not realistic to make a true judgement call as to whether the two individuals should or shouldn't have been doing what they were doing.
Old 04-29-22, 05:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The vast majority of people commenting in this thread are motorists. I am. I can say with no doubt that no one would comment on or even remember a similar "delay" if it had been caused by another driver. If I'm on a bicycle, I'm not avoiding convenient streets or positioning myself in a manner that I determine would compromise my safety just because it will cost a driver a few hypothetical seconds. As a driver, I know such delays are normal and frequent. In my experience as a motorist, these delays are almost always caused by other drivers.

Lanes get blocked by turning cars and other causes all the time. I don't have the right as a driver to veto these delays because they aren't "necessary". If you can't cope with that, don't drive in the city. This isn't a cyclist-centric perspective, it's a reasonable driver standard.

​​​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-29-22, 06:10 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
The vast majority of people commenting in this thread are motorists. I am. I can say with no doubt that no one would comment on or even remember a similar "delay" if it had been caused by another driver. If I'm on a bicycle, I'm not avoiding convenient streets or positioning myself in a manner that I determine would compromise my safety just because it will cost a driver a few hypothetical seconds. As a driver, I know such delays are normal and frequent. In my experience as a motorist, these delays are almost always caused by other drivers.

Lanes get blocked by turning cars and other causes all the time. I don't have the right as a driver to veto these delays because they aren't "necessary". If you can't cope with that, don't drive in the city. This isn't a cyclist-centric perspective, it's a reasonable driver standard.

​​​​
Hear, hear.

I truly don't understand the attitudes of some of the posters on this thread who consider themselves "cyclists" but who, evidently, think that cyclists should be cowering in the gutter and doing everything in their power to avoid "getting in the way" of motorists. I'm all for acting safely, courteously and legally while riding, but within those bounds I have just as much right to use the road as a driver. There was another lane to pass the cyclists shown in the original post. For the last time: ANY DELAY WAS CAUSED BY THE VOLUME OF OTHER MOTORISTS, NOT THE CYCLISTS.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 04-29-22, 06:26 AM
toto34

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

​​​​
It's reasonable but not the driver standard. That's not how they think. All signs still point they were too much of a hassle on a major stroad thing.

I think in general, I agree with every you said but the degree. Also, we don't need cope but coexisting on the roads, subs, and planes Google had alternatives, and I take OP at his word that they backed stuff up more than a tick or two.
Old 04-29-22, 06:57 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
It's reasonable but not the driver standard. That's not how they think. All signs still point they were too much of a hassle on a major stroad thing.

I think in general, I agree with every you said but the degree. Also, we don't need cope but coexisting on the roads, subs, and planes Google had alternatives, and I take OP at his word that they backed stuff up more than a tick or two.
As cyclists, we can't always comport ourselves with the wishes of motorists. To start with, many don't think we should be on the road at all. I have had "get on the sidewalk" shouted at me more than a few times. Many motorists think that it's okay for them to slow roll stops, but it's "blowing through" a stop when bicyclists do it.

We don't know how long they were on that road. It may have been the only way fro them to connect with more lightly traveled roads that they intended to use.

The OPs complaint was focused chiefly on them being side by side and secondarily on them running the traffic light. Singling up there would have done no good. The lane is so narrow, that for any motorist to pass them at a safe distance, the motorist would have had to have a clear left lane. Most motorist (and obviously some of our cyclists) are oblivious to this reality, so the optics of them riding single file would have been better, but at a degradation to their safety. Given that the most common reason provided when motorists strike cyclists is "I didn't see them," riding 2 abreast presents twice the visible surface area. So, more likely to steal the attention of a marginally engaged motorist. Them running the light was a favor to motorists behind them. No waiting for them to click in and come up to speed. Again, the optics are bad, but the reality is that it was better for motorists.

I take a very cooperative approach when I ride in traffic, and am always thinking about how I can blend most harmoniously with traffic. That said, I will NEVER sacrifice one ounce of safety in the name of improving optics for motorists. Number one is self preservation. Number two is cooperation. Scarcely a blip on the radar is the "driver standard" that you seem to be highly concerned about. Most of them are ignorant.
Old 04-29-22, 07:23 AM
polyneux

Bikes: '85 Schwinn High Sierra, '88 Schwinn High Sierra, '80s Miyata 710?, '90s Santana Tandem, 2010 Trek X-Cal

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I don't understand the philosophy of running the red lights though (I don't buy "because they do it I can do it.) I know its a slight divergence from topic but its come up a few times. I'm with the last poster in that I ride cooperatively with traffic not that I or they have some entitlement to the road that trumps the other. Stopping at red lights has lead to some of the most positive experiences with motorists I've had on a bike. "Nice bike" "hot out aint it" "want to hang on?" etc.

I bike often on a road that has lots of full-kit cyclists on it and I sometimes find myself annoyed when I, on a bike, stopped at a red light in a lane, get buzzed by a CYCLIST (or 10) who barely brakes and runs the red light. And in large groups you know the middle->back riders aren't 100% attending and are trusting the front so god forbid someone is taking their green light quickly and misses and runs into a whole pack of cyclists in the middle of an intersection on a red?
Old 04-29-22, 07:32 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
There is a very busy intersection I have to go through to get to the main side of town. The stop light that is the safest way to cross this crossroad (US31). R and L turn lanes, a car dealership, a very dangerous area and I almost always have to wait for a car to pull up on the small street I am crossing on because the light won't change. Every once in a while, probably one in 10 times I am heading over there, when the lights up and down road are just right, I pull up to my light and it is red. But I look in either direction and not see a single vehicle with about a mile of visibility. I see no reason to wait on a vehicle to get there and possibly run over me. I try to do the safest thing I can all the time.
Old 04-29-22, 08:40 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Every traffic report describes either heavy volume congestion or collisions by automobiles. If there were any cyclist involved, he'd probably be dead on the road having been run over by a... car.

A couple of old surveys show that amongst what aggravated drivers the most, cyclist are way at the bottom of the list. Top irritants for drivers are other drivers.
Old 04-29-22, 08:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

As a motorist, I've learned to adapt to rules that require me to wait until it's safe to pass. I also am mature enough to know that I don't have a right to determine whether someone else's use is "road worthy". I'm not looking for alternate routes that are less convenient to me just to humor the attitudes of drivers with jerkwad tendencies. OP was explicit in describing the minimal effort he had to expend to get past these cyclists. He had to slow down and change lanes. I take him at his word and I say, as a MOTORIST, "big whoop".

The law sets the driver standard, not the attitudes of the most obnoxious and selfish drivers. If my riding habits offend them, it's not on me that they're ignorant or defiant of the legal rules they are supposed to follow with courtesy.

I have to tell you that you are not the ambassador from the land of drivers. We're all as aware of drivers' attitudes as you are. As a cyclist or a driver, I don't feel a need to humor or cower from nasty drivers. If they don't want to be patient, they should avoid that road themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.