Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Supreme court ruling about license plates

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 05-02-22, 10:53 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts

Seems the Iowa court of appeals just ruled that use of a a trailer hitch, as well as a fixed item such as a bicycle rack, does not violate Iowa state law about obstructions of a license plate. Further that the law as written referred to dirt and grime and such, at least thats how I understand the law.

This might mean that getting a ticket for having a hitch mounted bike rack might no longer be allowed, as legal precedence has been established at least in one state.

https://news.yahoo.com/trailer-hitch...151858769.html
Old 05-02-22, 01:27 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Seems the Iowa court of appeals just ruled that use of a a trailer hitch, as well as a fixed item such as a bicycle rack, does not violate Iowa state law about obstructions of a license plate. Further that the law as written referred to dirt and grime and such, at least thats how I understand the law.

This might mean that getting a ticket for having a hitch mounted bike rack might no longer be allowed, as legal precedence has been established at least in one state.

Is getting a ticket for having a hitch mounted (or any other mount) bike rack a common thing anywhere in the U.S.? I never heard about anyone ever getting a ticket for that.
Old 05-02-22, 02:27 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Is getting a ticket for having a hitch mounted (or any other mount) bike rack a common thing anywhere in the U.S.? I never heard about anyone ever getting a ticket for that.
I'd never heard that either, apparently some moron of an Iowa cop gave a guy a ticket for the ball interfering with his view of the license plate. Really puzzling as the ball on the bumper is a pretty common item on trucks, thus I have to wonder if the cop did a stop to fish for something else, didn't find anything and wrote this ticket. The vehicle owner contested and won. It's not uncommon to hear about tickets for rear hitch bike racks interfering with the view of the license plate with a resulting ticket. Somewhere on YT there's a video of a young kid got a ticket for having a tree scent thing on his mirror, cop gave him a ticket for obstructed view out the windshield. Cops can on occasion just be real idiots some times, is my opinion.
Old 05-02-22, 02:37 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
I'd never heard that either, apparently some moron of an Iowa cop gave a guy a ticket for the ball interfering with his view of the license plate. Really puzzling as the ball on the bumper is a pretty common item on trucks, thus I have to wonder if the cop did a stop to fish for something else, didn't find anything and wrote this ticket. The vehicle owner contested and won. It's not uncommon to hear about tickets for rear hitch bike racks interfering with the view of the license plate with a resulting ticket. Somewhere on YT there's a video of a young kid got a ticket for having a tree scent thing on his mirror, cop gave him a ticket for obstructed view out the windshield. Cops can on occasion just be real idiots some times, is my opinion.
can't legally profile. Should a law exist that enables the law enforcer to leverage a traffic stop, they are not crossing any lines using the law to make a ligament stop. Should the cop happen to find other things in the process, then it just so happen to be perfect timing? ............. dot dot dot
Old 05-02-22, 02:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
So I read enough of the opinion to get what's going on here, and he's not appealing the ticket. It was a motion to suppress all of the evidence the cop was able to get after he stopped the driver. He pulled him over for the trailer hitch, but when he asked for the driver's license, the driver admitted that he was driving while barred. The Iowa SC decided that since the ball hitch didn't violate the statute, the stop was illegal, and the state couldn't use the evidence of driving while barred at trial, which was the much more serious charge brought as a result of the stop.

The vehicle was borrowed, btw, so if the cop had run the plate, he would not have known it was being driven by a habitual offender,
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-02-22, 02:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

l
It would only be precedent in Iowa. Other states may or may not have the same wording, and even if they do, it's not uncommon for different states to interpret the same words differently.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-02-22, 04:21 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
If you get a ticket for a bike rack obscuring your license plate, it isn't the bike rack, it's YOU. if you don't get that, it will always be you.

Last edited by nomadmax; 05-02-22 at 04:29 PM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 05-03-22, 09:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
There was a thread once upon a time where someone did get a ticket for obstructing their plate. May have been in Mass. Been so long I cannot remember.
Old 05-03-22, 09:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Regardless, I just wish they'd ticket those leaving the long drawbars on their vehicles when they are not being used. I can't count the number of times I've bumped my shin against them when walking around in parking lots and sent a variety of cuss words into the air.
Old 05-03-22, 04:54 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Of course you haven't.

And no matter how common it is, how much proof that it is common, it won't be common enough for you, it won't be proof enough for you.

Trying not to get this punted to P&R, but yes, Virginia, there are police officers who harrass certain people. (Which is why I'm against helmet laws.)

Saddest thing I ever heard was a Supreme Court Justice talking to a thirteen year old, and answering their question with the observation, "Both you and I know that we have to wait for the walk light."

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-03-22, 07:51 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Of course you haven't.

And no matter how common it is, how much proof that it is common, it won't be common enough for you, it won't be proof enough for you.
Trying not to get this punted to P&R, but yes, Virginia, there are police officers who harrass certain people. (Which is why I'm against helmet laws.)
And of course you did not even attempt to answer the question, let alone provide any proof of anything, nor indicate that you know or care just how common it is to have tickets issued to anybody to include "certain people" for bike rack obscured license plates, but are ready instead to initiate some personal snark, as well as unrelated P&R/social justice ranting about "harassment of certain people" in the absence of any proof that anybody has been harassed or hassled about bike rack obscured license plates.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 05-03-22 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-04-22, 05:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

And of course you did not even attempt to answer the question, let alone provide any proof of anything, nor indicate that you know or care just how common it is to have tickets issued to anybody to include "certain people" for bike rack obscured license plates, but are ready instead to initiate some personal snark, as well as unrelated P&R/social justice ranting about "harassment of certain people" in the absence of any proof that anybody has been harassed or hassled about bike rack obscured license plates.

The question wouldn't really be whether a ticket was issued, it's whether the hitch is used as a pretext to stop the driver then see if there's probable cause for a vehicle search or arrest. Some states (Michigan and Florida among them) allow the stop for this Obstructed license plate purpose.

Your rant about BF posters is perfectly uncalled for in this thread, no one has posted anything that assumes this is being used systematically this way. The problem here is your assumption in the absence of evidence either way that it does not. If you have any idea about how hard it is methodologically to prove contextual stops in any given category, you'd understand how silly this is. Obviously, the more "technicalities" an officer has for stopping a vehicle, the greater the opportunity for nearly undetectable selective "enforcement".

Good to know that the Iowa Supreme Court is dominated by social justice warriors. I'm a bit surprised by that, but it's your state, so I guess you'd know.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-04-22, 06:11 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
There was a thread once upon a time where someone did get a ticket for obstructing their plate. May have been in Mass. Been so long I cannot remember.
Well, they can. (pg 71 - License Plates) They can also be ticketed for hanging anything from the rear view mirror. (pg. 67 - Distracting Objects)
Massachusetts Driver's Manual
Old 05-04-22, 07:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Well, they can. (pg 71 - License Plates) They can also be ticketed for hanging anything from the rear view mirror. (pg. 67 - Distracting Objects)
Massachusetts Driver's Manual
Here you go. It was in NYC:

https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast...g-license.html

There is at least one other old thread on the subject where someone else mentions getting a fine for obscuring a license plate with a rack.
Old 05-04-22, 08:13 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
While I completely agree with the ridiculous nature of this kind of ticket, they DO sell products for bike racks and other things like hitches for this exact issue. Just to play Devil's advocate.

It's just that nobody really uses them.

This took me 30 seconds to find on Google for a Yakima. I know they sell racks in Europe with plate holders and rear brake lights integrated out of the box:

https://www.rei.com/product/190865/y...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-04-22, 09:04 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

The beef about license plates is states like mine that has front plates. No one backs away from the police at 90MPH
Old 05-04-22, 09:26 AM
FredMau

Bikes: Blue Max Plateau EX, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Here you go. It was in NYC:

https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast...g-license.html

There is at least one other old thread on the subject where someone else mentions getting a fine for obscuring a license plate with a rack.
It's illegal here in Georgia too. And I've seen it posted on some sites that they DO pull you over for it in this state. HOWEVER, I've lived in Georgia since 2013, In Oregon 12 years prior to that, and Florida for 20 years prior to that, and I've never been pulled over in ANY of these places for this,

One solution is to move the license plate. However, Georgia law requires the plate to be lighted at night so you can't just stick it in the rear window or whatever. Thule make a lighted license plate frame for their bike racks, about $49 from REI.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rac...older-_-903760

Likes For FredMau:
Old 05-04-22, 09:32 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Once or twice a week, I intentionally and completely block my truck's plate from view and have never been challenged. Apparently towing something negates any enforcement interest in the legality of the towing vehicle.

The way I read the NC Statute on plates, it seems that a bike rack could (maybe) result in a citation for covering letters/numbers, though I have never heard of this happening. I do know that many citations are issued for plastic plate covers because some scofflaws install these specifically to avoid identification on toll roads as well as compliance camera areas. Perhaps a bike rack could confound an id in those cases as well.
Old 05-04-22, 09:38 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Once or twice a week, I intentionally and completely block my truck's plate from view and have never been challenged. Apparently towing something negates any enforcement interest in the legality of the towing vehicle.

The way I read the NC Statute on plates, it seems that a bike rack could (maybe) result in a citation for covering letters/numbers, though I have never heard of this happening. I do know that many citations are issued for plastic plate covers because some scofflaws install these specifically to avoid identification on toll roads as well as compliance camera areas. Perhaps a bike rack could confound an id in those cases as well.
Aren't trailers required to have their own plates in NC? I would imagine if the trailer blocked the vehicle plate, the trailer plate could still identify the driver.
Old 05-04-22, 10:12 AM
FredMau

Well, if you're towing a trailer or other vehicle, won't that have a license plate of it's own visible from the rear?

As an aside, It's amazing what they're doing with license plate reader technology. I drive from Georgia to Indiana once or twice a year, and go across the toll bridge on I-65 between Louisville KY and Jeffersonville IN. There are no toll booths. I could buy a transponder, but not really "worth it" for one or two trips a year. I just drive across the bridge at normal speed, it reads my license plate and several weeks later I get a bill in the mail. It's $2/trip extra for not having a transponder but still cheaper than getting a transponder.

My understanding is that most if not all cop cars around here also have on-board license plate readers that are scanning license plates as they're driving down the road, looking for wants/warrants/suspensions against the owner. I've also heard they drive through hotel parking lots at night doing the same, especially at some of the seedier hotels where offenders tend to hang out.

Last edited by FredMau; 05-04-22 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-04-22, 10:14 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by nomadmax
If you get a ticket for a bike rack obscuring your license plate, it isn't the bike rack, it's YOU. if you don't get that, it will always be you.
Really ?. The cop isn't giving YOU a ticket because you're being YOU, I mean how does he write that on the ticket ?, what infraction is that ?. He's giving you a ticket because he feels the bike rack is obscuring the plate. A often as not, the obscured plate is simply an excuse to conduct a fishing expedition for something else. Cops do that all the time.
Old 05-04-22, 10:21 AM
Steve B.

The way I read the NC Statute on plates, it seems that a bike rack could (maybe) result in a citation for covering letters/numbers, though I have never heard of this happening.
This kind of infraction is mentioned here on BF every so often. Not enough it seems for the assorted manufactures to offer license plate mounting brackets on their hitch racks. Not sure how convenient that would be as the racks are usually easily removable and it would be a PITA to be moving the plate. One answer is for the state DMV to offer a third plate to be mounted on a hitch rack. I don't think they do that currently. I suspect this issue of hitch racks obscuring plates will start to rear it's ugly head as the proliferation of car mounted plate readers becomes more heavily used and they realize a hitch prevents a plate from being read.
Old 05-04-22, 10:57 AM
mr_bill

Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Not enough it seems for the assorted manufactures to offer license plate mounting brackets on their hitch racks.
I guess THULE isn't an assorted manufacturer?

-mr. bill
Old 05-04-22, 10:59 AM
FredMau

This kind of infraction is mentioned here on BF every so often. Not enough it seems for the assorted manufactures to offer license plate mounting brackets on their hitch racks. Not sure how convenient that would be as the racks are usually easily removable and it would be a PITA to be moving the plate. One answer is for the state DMV to offer a third plate to be mounted on a hitch rack. I don't think they do that currently. I suspect this issue of hitch racks obscuring plates will start to rear it's ugly head as the proliferation of car mounted plate readers becomes more heavily used and they realize a hitch prevents a plate from being read.
This is something I've been wondering about. How about a well-made and legible photocopy of the real tag in the bike rack frame? Or, possibly better, you can buy "novelty" plates from any number on online stores that look EXACTLY like your states real plate.

A close reading of the Georgia statutes indicates that this MIGHT, possibly, technically be within the letter of the law, by the skin of it's teeth.
Georgia Code Section 40-2-7. Removing or affixing license plate with intent to conceal or misrepresent

A person who removes a license plate from a vehicle or affixes to a vehicle a license plate not authorized by law for use on it, in either case with intent to conceal or misrepresent the identity of the vehicle or its owner, is guilty of a misdemeanor. As used in this Code section, "remove" includes deface or destroy.

Okay, so if a person attaches one of these "novelty" plates to the bike rack, and there's CLEARLY no "intent to conceal or misrepresent", is it "legal"? I'm thinking that as long as the 'novelty' plate is merely an 'auxiliary' to the genuine plate that is properly mounted to the rear of the vehicle, this just MIGHT be legal by the skin of it's teeth. BUT I don't believe this has ever been tested in court, and I don't necessarily want to be the first person to test it.

For example: https://www.amazon.com/SignsAndTagsO.../dp/B07N8K2B38
Old 05-04-22, 11:31 AM
FredMau

Originally Posted by livedarklions
It would only be precedent in Iowa. Other states may or may not have the same wording, and even if they do, it's not uncommon for different states to interpret the same words differently.
It *MIGHT* work. If there's no clear precedent in your own state, Attorneys do sometimes cite other state's rulings as "guidance". The court may find this to be "persuasive" even if not "binding".

Avvo.com (2013): Is it permissible to cite case law from another state outside of the jurisdiction of a case?
4 Attorney Answers:
"It is permissible, but it is only persuasive authority (as opposed to binding authority) because the case law has no affect on your state's laws."

"You can, and if there is no decisions in your state that are on point, a court may consider it. Obviously decisions from a different jurisdiction hold little weight when there are contrary decisions from your own state."

"Both answers of the attorneys are correct, especially the advise that you should not use a case from a foreign jurisdiction that is contradicted by a case already decided in Florida."

"You can do it but it holds less weight. It would be appropriate to do in a circumstance where you can't find any case law in the state you need. In other words, if that's all you can find then you should use it."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.