Notices
Northern California Regional Rides and Events Northern California

Informal Vintage Ride in Folsom, CA on May 22nd

Old 05-12-22, 12:23 AM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 186 Posts
Informal Vintage Ride in Folsom, CA on May 22nd

I will be leading a Cycle Folsom ride on Sunday, May 22nd that will be vintage themed. The route leaves from Coffee Republic at 9 a.m. and it is 36 miles with about 1000 feet of accumulated climbing. Social pace ride. While it is a Cycle Folsom ride for club members, we are allowed to have guests. There is no cost. I am reaching out to C and V members in the Sacramento area who may be interested. If you message me, I can provide more information.

Alberto Roldan
Old 08-01-22, 05:03 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Sactown_Albert
I will be leading a Cycle Folsom ride on Sunday, May 22nd that will be vintage themed. The route leaves from Coffee Republic at 9 a.m. and it is 36 miles with about 1000 feet of accumulated climbing. Social pace ride. While it is a Cycle Folsom ride for club members, we are allowed to have guests. There is no cost. I am reaching out to C and V members in the Sacramento area who may be interested. If you message me, I can provide more information.

Alberto Roldan
I did not know about this. I'm thinking of creating a bikeforums thread, where Northeastern Californians can try to assembles some vintage rides. We seem to be rather scattered.
Old 08-01-22, 05:10 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Would be good to bring people into the fold

Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
I did not know about this. I'm thinking of creating a bikeforums thread, where Northeastern Californians can try to assembles some vintage rides. We seem to be rather scattered.
I am trying to get the ball rolling in the Sacramento area and I plan on going to the August first Saturday ride in the Bay Area to try to make some connections,too. This was the second year I did a vintage ride. I have gotten 6-9 people on each ride. I know the Davis Bike Club always does an October Vintage Ride that is always well attended. I plan on riding that, too.
Old 08-01-22, 06:00 PM
Reynolds 531 

I am trying to get the ball rolling in the Sacramento area and I plan on going to the August first Saturday ride in the Bay Area to try to make some connections,too. This was the second year I did a vintage ride. I have gotten 6-9 people on each ride. I know the Davis Bike Club always does an October Vintage Ride that is always well attended. I plan on riding that, too.
How many miles is typical for these guys?

Here is a route that would show off our area, and easy for people to access from 50. Theoretically could start and stop from Karens Bakery too.

Old 08-01-22, 06:40 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Both sides of the upper trail and using the Johnny Cash trail would work well

Karen’s would be a good/start/end but it gets crazy busy on weekends. Starting rides at the big strip mall in Gold River next to the trail also works well because there is plenty of parking and it is just north of the highway 50/Sunrise Blvd exit. It also has good before and after food and refreshment opportunities. Are you in Sacramento or up in Reno?

25-40 miles is probably a good distance for a vintage ride. Hopefully others will chime in. I am starting a Facebook page called the “Camellia City Vintage Lightweight Riding Group” to push out information for future rides. Will also post here on the forum any info that goes up there. Shooting for the first group ride to take place in September. Probably 3rd Saturday or Sunday so we don’t conflict with the Bay Area ride on the 1st Saturday.
Old 08-01-22, 10:12 PM
Reynolds 531 

The big strip mall at Gold River has that really nice Starbucks. I drew up a route starting from there, but it got long, and I don't know how far is too far (or too short).

Last edited by Reynolds 531; 08-01-22 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-02-22, 09:37 AM
Reynolds 531 

I am starting a Facebook page called the “Camellia City Vintage Lightweight Riding Group” to push out information for future rides.
I think "Camellia City Vintage Lightweight Cycling Group" would show up better in Facebook algorithms

Shooting for the first group ride to take place in September.
Good idea, but how about a test ride in August? I sent a PM

Probably 3rd Saturday or Sunday so we don’t conflict with the Bay Area ride on the 1st Saturday.
I agree, probably Saturdays are best? But not sure. Not sure how many attend church or soccer games.

Last edited by Reynolds 531; 08-02-22 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-02-22, 01:28 PM
Sactown_Albert 

New thread started

Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
I think "Camellia City Vintage Lightweight Cycling Group" would show up better in Facebook algorithms

Good idea, but how about a test ride in August? I sent a PM

I agree, probably Saturdays are best? But not sure. Not sure how many attend church or soccer games.
i started a new thread because I think this title doesn’t let people know we are planning rides for the future. I took your suggestion and renamed the Facebook group with your edit. I can do a shakeout ride in August if we do it on the second Saturday. I have a family obligation the following weekend. BTW, I did not see a PM from you.
Old 05-01-23, 08:26 AM
ChillDilettante

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Lemond Croix de Fer, Trek Domane 5.2, Ibis Ripley AF, Raleigh Sport 3 speed, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
What counts?

Alberto Roldan
This sounds fun. What counts as "vintage"? 90's bikes too young?
Old 05-01-23, 11:14 AM
Sactown_Albert 

Would be welcome!

Originally Posted by ChillDilettante
This sounds fun. What counts as "vintage"? 90's bikes too young?
I don’t approach our ride with hard Eroica cut off dates. Our vibe is to celebrate “vintage” lightweights, but we are open to the idea that this is an evolving concept. We even have the occasional rider show up on modern carbon fiber bikes and they are welcomed because they are there to enjoy the company and the bikes. Hope to see you in the future!

Alberto Roldan
Lead Vintage Cat Wrangler