Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brooks saddles- Leaning forward?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-22, 07:47 AM
todd92371

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello,
Tried out a c17 saddle yesterday. I like the saddle. But, I noticed that it really gave me that falling forward feeling a lot. I know it has the implicit hammock design. I tried raising the nose a bit and that helped. But, is that a trait that is given for this type of saddle? Since it has a hammock design. A lot of extra weight on hands and wrists to compensate.

Thanks.
Todd
Old 06-05-22, 07:56 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 256 Posts
You might try adjusting the saddle forward. That said I only like my C17 on 2 out of the 6 bikes I have tried it on.
Old 06-05-22, 08:22 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I usually have five to eight degrees of upward tilt on my B17s. Less on my Cambiums.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-05-22, 08:40 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
My Brooks has a more upward tilt than other saddles. I tried moving the saddle forward and it did not help
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 06-05-22, 09:01 AM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I have C17 saddles on 3 of my 4 bikes. All are run pretty much level to the ground.
Old 06-05-22, 09:09 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
...I run them with nose tilted up more than other saddles, with a formed plastic core.
What anyone is comfortable with is pretty idiosyncratic, and subject to experiment.
Old 06-05-22, 10:01 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
You might want to try setting it back (not forward) a little bit.

It sounds counter-intuitive, but too forward shifts your weight onto your bars (and wrists and arms). Ideally, you would like to balance on the saddle without touching your bars. I'm not that coordinated, but if you are, it is a good test.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-05-22, 04:00 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by todd92371
Hello,
Tried out a c17 saddle yesterday. I like the saddle. But, I noticed that it really gave me that falling forward feeling a lot. I know it has the implicit hammock design. I tried raising the nose a bit and that helped. But, is that a trait that is given for this type of saddle? Since it has a hammock design. A lot of extra weight on hands and wrists to compensate.

Thanks.
Todd
When you installed it, did you remove the seat post to install it, or did you leave the seat post on the bike, and simply swap saddles? If you simply swapped saddles, it is very likely you saddle is too high, since the C17 sits higher off the rails than many other saddles. If the saddle is too high, you will not be stable on the saddle and will slide forward. Also check your fore/aft adjustment. If the saddle is too far forward, you can have the same issue.

I often see people having issues with B17 or C17 saddles, and they generally have the saddle too high. If it is too high you will have a host of issues. When it is where it should be, for you, you will feel stable on the saddle, and will not be moving forward on it, and you will not need the saddle tilted up hight to prevent moving forward.
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-05-22, 05:22 PM
Chickenwings

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Thanks Ph. I thought saddle height is more determined by leg extension on the pedals.
Old 06-05-22, 08:49 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...down-flat.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-05-22, 10:03 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Chickenwings
Thanks Ph. I thought saddle height is more determined by leg extension on the pedals.
The point was that, if the OP installed the seat by simply removing the old one from the seat post, then installing the C17, it may be too high since the C17 sits higher off the rails than many more modern design seats. That is not an absolute though. So if their seat height was right for them before, by simply swapping saddles, without removing the seat post, and without factoring in the difference in the seat's height above their respective rails, then the seat height will have changed, which will cause the issue the OP had, feeling like they are moving forward on the seat.

The B17 and C17 are also more sensitive to a bad fit, more specifically, too high seat height. Many seats that have center channels can be run higher than a B17 or a C17 without having perineum pain.

Many advocate jacking up the seat height, without paying any attention to whether or not the person is stable on the seat, and whether or not they can pedal fluidly throughout the entire revolution of the pedals. So there are other factors involved, and many people get seat height wrong, for them. So many seats today actually act as a bandaid for poor seat positioning , masking a bad fit. A Brooks seat will not mask a bad fit, at all, but once you get a Brooks set up properly, for you, you will not slide forward on the seat, you will be stable on it.
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-05-22, 11:24 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
be careful about.. male problems... with a saddle tilted upwards.
Old 06-06-22, 07:13 AM
Chickenwings

Originally Posted by phughes
The point was that, if the OP installed the seat by simply removing the old one from the seat post, then installing the C17, it may be too high since the C17 sits higher off the rails than many more modern design seats. That is not an absolute though. So if their seat height was right for them before, by simply swapping saddles, without removing the seat post, and without factoring in the difference in the seat's height above their respective rails, then the seat height will have changed, which will cause the issue the OP had, feeling like they are moving forward on the seat.

The B17 and C17 are also more sensitive to a bad fit, more specifically, too high seat height. Many seats that have center channels can be run higher than a B17 or a C17 without having perineum pain.

Many advocate jacking up the seat height, without paying any attention to whether or not the person is stable on the seat, and whether or not they can pedal fluidly throughout the entire revolution of the pedals. So there are other factors involved, and many people get seat height wrong, for them. So many seats today actually act as a bandaid for poor seat positioning , masking a bad fit. A Brooks seat will not mask a bad fit, at all, but once you get a Brooks set up properly, for you, you will not slide forward on the seat, you will be stable on it.

Ah, great additional detail. thanks PH. Now, I'm free this week if you'd like to come over and help me fit my bike - you know what you're talking about! Thanks again!!
Likes For Chickenwings:
Old 06-06-22, 09:01 AM
phughes

Ah, great additional detail. thanks PH. Now, I'm free this week if you'd like to come over and help me fit my bike - you know what you're talking about! Thanks again!!
I'll be right over.
Old 06-06-22, 12:03 PM
Chickenwings

A THANK YOU to everyone who's posting their experiences and opinions here. I'm new (only about a year old) on this biking thing and way closer to 60 than I'd like. That means I've got a TON of experience in OTHER things but I haven't got the miles, hours and years on a bike. What I've been learning is to try things and if I don't like a particular set up - turn it back! I do, however, need to try stuff to see if it works. Today I went on a long (for me) ride. I had tilted my seat up a bit since I've been feeling like I have been sliding a bit forward on a levelled seat....hmm...I went about a 3/4 bubble nose up on my level and I like it but it might be a bit too much. I'm gonna cut that back a quarter or so (please take note of my PRECISE measuring methodology, grin) as I can feel a little pressure where I don't want to but I also noticed I'm not pushing back on the seat like I had done before. Again, THANK YOU for the information and the motivation to try to make my experience the best I can.

Now.....I gotta save up for that Brooks saddle!
Likes For Chickenwings:
Old 06-06-22, 02:56 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
If you've got a smart phone, there's a free app called Angle Meter that I've found to be very handy for consistently setting up things like saddles and handlebars.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-06-22, 08:11 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
The B17 on my Dahon and the C15 on my Giant are both basically set up flat (no upward or downward tilt) and that seems to work fine for me.
Old 06-06-22, 08:24 PM
phughes

A THANK YOU to everyone who's posting their experiences and opinions here. I'm new (only about a year old) on this biking thing and way closer to 60 than I'd like. That means I've got a TON of experience in OTHER things but I haven't got the miles, hours and years on a bike. What I've been learning is to try things and if I don't like a particular set up - turn it back! I do, however, need to try stuff to see if it works. Today I went on a long (for me) ride. I had tilted my seat up a bit since I've been feeling like I have been sliding a bit forward on a levelled seat....hmm...I went about a 3/4 bubble nose up on my level and I like it but it might be a bit too much. I'm gonna cut that back a quarter or so (please take note of my PRECISE measuring methodology, grin) as I can feel a little pressure where I don't want to but I also noticed I'm not pushing back on the seat like I had done before. Again, THANK YOU for the information and the motivation to try to make my experience the best I can.

Now.....I gotta save up for that Brooks saddle!
Check out these articles: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...d-can-it-be-2/

And here is one on getting the fore/aft adjustment where you need it. https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...or-road-bikes/

Keep in mind that when you move your seat back, you may have to drop your seat height slightly. Once you get the height and the setback correct, for you, you shouldn't need to tilt your seat up. A little can be okay, but when I see someone with the nose pointed noticeably up in the front, I cannot help but think their fit is screwed up.
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-07-22, 07:01 AM
Chickenwings

Love the articles PH. Thanks
Likes For Chickenwings: