Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-22, 04:59 PM
jeana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike rack

Hi My husband has a new fat tire mtn bike with tubeless tires Santa Cruz Bronson
And we have a new for us campervan with the rear tire on the back
we do have a hitch
Husband says no to a platform rack ,that it will hurt the tires Hanging racks cost more BUT he does not have a top tube Trying not to spend a zillion dollars What to do Recommendations?
thnaks
Old 06-07-22, 05:10 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
There are platform racks designed for fat bikes. If you search on car racks for fat bikes you'll find some and it looks like most of them are platform style.

There is a sub-forum for fat bikes. If you ask there you may get some feedback from people that have firsthand experience.
Old 06-07-22, 10:46 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
A bronson isn't a fat bike just a mountain bike. Platform racks are the preferred racks by pretty much everybody for road, mtn, and fat bikes.
Old 06-08-22, 06:54 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,932 Times in 1,213 Posts
You could get an adapter, like ALLEN Tension Bar Bicycle Cross-Bar Adaptor, Black, One size : Sports & Outdoors (amazon.com). I think there's an error in how that page shows the adapter, though: I've had better luck hooking the rear under the seatstay, so there's something solid to hold the bike up.

Personally, I'd just go for a platform rack (even though I don't have one). I've never heard of damaging the tires that way; you're not going to leave the bike there for weeks on end, are you?
Old 06-08-22, 07:57 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Husband is just wrong. A platform rack doesn't hurt the tires. The best racks (in the opinion of many) are the ones that don't touch the frame. They hold the bike by the wheels. No damage to the tires, or frame..
Old 06-12-22, 01:47 PM
Bug Shield

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
My roof-mounted 1up platform rack tore up some knobs on the front Maxxis DHF of our tandem on a thousand-mile trip so I would not call Husband's fears completely unfounded. I am still a happy 1up customer though and see mostly those on the rigs of people whos' opinions I trust. My preferred method for long trips is fork mounted which was better when there weren't so many front hub standards.