Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding through head colds

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-21-22, 07:50 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts

I spent yesterday walking around with cigar-sized rolls of tissue stuffed up each nostril because my nose was running so much it was cheaper just to plug it up and just deal with it less often than having it drip like a faucet on my clothes etc.. A bad head-cold.

Over the weekend it was coming on as a bad feeling, like inflammation/swelling in my ears, throat, sinuses. I went for my usual Saturday morning ride in very high winds and cool temps, probably did not do me much good, when I got home my t-shirt was wringing wet under the wind-breaker I had on. I had cut the ride off at 20 miles because of the wind and sick feeling.

Yesterday morning despite having worse symptoms and having to blow my nose out periodically as I rode, I did as brisk a 20 miles as I could stand to do, and while riding it was not too bad, but afterwards the cold ramped up with a vengeance and kicked the crap out of me. I could not finish mowing the yard even using a self-propelled push-mower, and took a couple hour nap in the middle of the day. And of course did not sleep well that night.

This morning still the watery eyes, runny nose, and throat kind of tickling me to cough, it was such a beautiful day outside I just said F-it and went out and did as easy a 20-mile ride as I can remember doing in a long time and it felt really good. Despite having to blow and wipe my nose here and there while riding it seemed better, and now after the ride I feel in better shape than I was after yesterday's ride. Boy it would be great if I was on the way back out of this thing.
I was thinking that to continue riding might prolong the cold or make it worse, but it does not seem to be doing that, and I figure whatever it is doing to screw up the rest of my body, at least I am maintaining some leg muscle I otherwise would have lost if I had sat on my butt for four or five days.

This probably works differently for each person and with each different sort of bug that they catch, but this time it is working out for me. This is the first cold/flu bug I can remember having for three or four years, and I am 60 years old and things are supposed to be a little tougher as you get older in fighting this sort of thing, but whenever I get the next bug, I will remember to try and keep riding through it. Looking forward to maybe not riding while being sick a few days down the road.......
Old 06-21-22, 08:04 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
When riding with a sinus cold I usually take Ephedrine. Would disqualify one in competition, but it clears the sinuses nicely on a recreational ride.
Old 06-21-22, 08:07 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
I'm not sure what the point of your post is, but you did yourself no favors by riding while sick.
Likes For prj71:
Old 06-21-22, 08:10 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9532 Post(s)
Liked 6,275 Times in 3,460 Posts
I recall when my kid shoved a bunch of toilet paper up her nose for some reason. It's amazing how much you can shove in there!
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 06-21-22, 08:13 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,614 Times in 765 Posts
Hopefully that "bug" isn't something more serious.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-21-22, 08:20 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
My dr said that it's okay to exercise if the symptoms are above the neck, within reason of course. If down in the chest--forget it. I'm fighting the same thing right now. I got in good rides Fri-Sun but yesterday was definitely a no-go, especially with our record heat.

(One in the household tested negative for covid last Thurs with a home kit; another went in for a PCR test yesterday and we're awaiting those results. If covid, our luck finally ran out.)
Old 06-21-22, 08:29 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Hopefully that "bug" isn't something more serious.
it’s probably covid, im sure he’s fine. Cyclists are pretty much immune, nobody in my squad got sick and some of them are old dinosaurs
Old 06-21-22, 09:39 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
it’s probably covid, im sure he’s fine. Cyclists are pretty much immune, nobody in my squad got sick and some of them are old dinosaurs
Cyclists are immune to head colds? Or COVID? Either is easily disproved.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-21-22, 10:15 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9532 Post(s)
Liked 6,275 Times in 3,460 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Should have told these guys: Riding post-Covid? - Page 2 - Bike Forums
Old 06-21-22, 08:47 PM
beng1
Banned

My wife had it first and it came and was gone in a week, so I am guessing I will be on the same curve. For now it is staying upstairs. hopefully tomorrow I will not have to use so much tissue, and will not have to blow my nose into the slipstream as I ride. I just remember 25 years ago after training all summer for a race I wanted to do well it, I got something like this the day before the race and it knocked about 2mph off my top speed, made me really tired etc.. I got a race I want to do in a few weeks and I did not need this setback, it pisses me off.
Old 06-21-22, 09:29 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
At this time of year, it is far more likely to be SARS-2 than rhinovirus. Given that, it would be prudent not to push until you clear it. It is also probably a good idea not to push it if you have a common cold.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-22-22, 04:00 AM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I recall when my kid shoved a bunch of toilet paper up her nose for some reason. It's amazing how much you can shove in there!
40 some years ago I was at a college party and broke a large pretzel stick in two and jammed half up each nostril so I could impersonate a walrus, ever since then I get a chronic bloody nose out of one nostril, usually when I get a head-cold and have to blow my nose and play with it a lot. Cauterizing did not help.
Old 06-22-22, 11:20 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
So you are approx. 60. All the better reason not to try to tough this out. The likelihood of having a heart attack or stroke when you have a cold goes up significantly; obviously more-so if it is COVID.

My daughter picked some of the foam out of her car seat when she was very young, and snorted it up her nose, unknown to us, where it festered for a month or two until it was obvious something was really wrong. The doc pulled out a very long forceps and extracted it. The nose was all infected by then, and she still (20+ years later) gets nasty nose bleeds.

Get some (pure) saline solution.
Old 06-22-22, 06:04 PM
jrobe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
In 2022, that is covid unless you prove otherwise with a test.
Likes For jrobe:
Old 06-22-22, 07:04 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
I haven't had a cold since I took up cycling. I did catch Covid and stopped riding until fully healed. It took a year of training to get my performance and weight back.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 06-22-22, 07:50 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,303 Times in 7,232 Posts
In some areas of the U.S., tree pollen is insane right now. Just spent a week touring Vermont. I had pollen on clothes I hung up to dry. My black cooking gear got dusted overnight while out on picnic tables. At one campground the wind kicked up one morning and created a yellow haze over the pond. The cars of people camping in that area were covered with pollen.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-23-22, 08:10 PM
beng1
Banned

Update. Yesterday went for a good ride of thirty-some miles, did not have the runny nose problem hardly at all. It was in the high 80s temp-wise. Felt pretty good for most of the ride but was noticeably still tired and weak compared to normal. Had some weird luck breaking the rear axle on the bike which delayed me getting home as soon as I would have otherwise. Took it easy the rest of the day. Today I did not ride at all, took the day off and just weeded the garden etc.. Cold seemed under control except for the occasional tickle in the throat. My voice was pretty much back to normal, wife said I looked good. Still felt tired but that was maybe from getting up before the sun. So I rode over 90 miles so far since I started feeling crummy and it did not seem to make any difference in how long the bug has lasted compared to how my wife fared against it. I want to ride really bad, but if I do I will either skip tomorrow and hit it hard Saturday, or if I ride both days I will keep it real easy one of the days. The way things are going I am guessing that reasonable exercise does not seem to affect recovery from virus infections, at least in my case. My wife is a yoga instructor for over 20 years, and when this was kicking her butt she of course kept practicing all she could too, even taught some classes online.
Old 06-25-22, 09:34 AM
beng1
Banned

Friday and Saturday racked up another 40-odd miles on the Marin mtb and the road-bike. Feeling better and better. A few more good nights sleep and hopefully will be able to get back to normal. I had no trouble today on the road-bike riding around in the 52/19 gear I used regularly before the head-cold came along. Now will try to start using the 52/18 as much as possible.