Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I got the seat post out!!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21, 09:38 PM
orange leader
B-b-b-b-b-b-bicicle Rider

Bikes: 1997, stumpjumper S-works hardtail, Medici, Giant Perigee(track dropouts and fixed gear), Columbia twosome, schwinn twinn, '67 raleigh 5 speed internal hub, Old triumph 3 speed, old BSA 3-speed, schwinn Racer 2spd kickback, Broken raysport criteriu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I found a schwinn Frontier on the curb. I replaced the bottom bracket, tuned it up, and the tried to adjust the seat post so i could give it a test ride. No luck. I oiled it, banged on it, tried twisting it, nothing. I turned it upside down and put penetrating oil into the seat tube, let it soak for a few days. Nothing. I added some lemon juice. It was a steel post and frame, so the acid might hopefully eat some of the rust. Still nothing. I drilled a 1/2" hole through the post and inserted a hardened steel hitch pin and whaked away at that, clockwise and counterclockwise..it started to twist. I got it rotating, but couldnt get it to pull out. I put the post in a vice, had my 2 sons twist the frame on the post while i pulled. After about 15 minutes of twisting and pulling it was out far enough to get a stem clamped on. Another 5 mintes, of pulling and twisting and the post was out. You can see how ovalized the hole i drilled has become fom the pin-banging.
Likes For orange leader:
Old 01-03-21, 10:04 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Thanks! I actually have a frame I'd been waiting to have another go at, I may try the hole-drilling trick to get some leverage.
Likes For Viich:
Old 01-03-21, 10:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Good job! Now you know why shops generally cringe at this job. Andy
Old 01-05-21, 11:03 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Another one bites the dust

Likes For zebede:
Old 01-05-21, 02:17 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
If only someone had checked and put some grease on the post as needed. As the saying goes "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". Good job getting the post loose!!
Old 01-06-21, 04:55 PM
fredjustison

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats I'm glad it worked out for you. RJthebikeguy had a great video that helped me remove my seat post.
Old 01-06-21, 06:40 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
I've got a Fuji America touring bike with stuck seat post. I've left it as is for well over a year, since it's only about a half-inch low for me. Perhaps it's time to give it a try. I had to cut one out of an Ironman Expert a few years ago using a hacksaw blade. What a Beotch!
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 03-28-21, 12:22 PM
orange leader

Bikes: 1997, stumpjumper S-works hardtail, Medici, Giant Perigee(track dropouts and fixed gear), Columbia twosome, schwinn twinn, '67 raleigh 5 speed internal hub, Old triumph 3 speed, old BSA 3-speed, schwinn Racer 2spd kickback, Broken raysport criteriu

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I think i saw his....he has several. I definitely used it for inspiration. wanted to build that post puller he built, but i don't have any welding skills or gear, but i had a similar idea to use threaded pipe, and leverage off the brake bridge....but it would probably snap the bridge. his bottom bracket idea is good.
Old 03-28-21, 12:26 PM
orange leader

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I think the seat post was the wrong size for the frame.!! i used calipers to measure it when buying a replacment, and it didn't seem to match the internal frame diameter. I second guessed my measurement and ordered a size between the two (thinking maybe i was measuring corrosion), so I ordered a seat post that was 0.2mm smaller than the one i pulled out, and 0.2 larger than what i measured in the seat post. I ended up buying a 2nd post, that was .4mm smaller than the original that i mangled getting out. 2nd post slides in real nice-like.
Likes For orange leader: