Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

rear light for pannier rack recommendations?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 02-24-22, 11:46 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

Just got a Axiom Streamliner pannier
it has a nifty two hole mount for a rear tail light. My cateye taillight is a clipon affair that rattles. I'm hoping to get something that attaches via screws like this:

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 02-25-22, 01:43 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
These rear USB lights from Busch & Müller are great:

https://www.bike24.com/p2246776.html

I prefer AA/AAA batteries for touring and USB for commuting. If you have a power bank on tour it might not be such an issue.
OTOH, I don‘t ride much after dark on tour.

My tent and pad are on my rear rack and would obscure both rack mounted and seatpost lights, so I just clip a AAA light on somewhere visible.

Last edited by imi; 02-25-22 at 01:52 AM.
Likes For imi:
Old 02-25-22, 06:25 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
If you are new to the world of bike taillights, the 50mm and 80mm spacing are a European standard. And if you have not learned this already, lights made for use in Germany do not flash. Thus, a lot of the lights that are designed for those mounting points do not flash.

The flashing lights that I use do not use those mounts, but some of the common taillight brands sold in USA that flash can be fitted to those mounting points with an optional bracket.
Old 02-25-22, 07:28 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I want my light to be as bright as possible. I use this light: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07W62CC...p&sprefix=cygo . Unfortunately, it is a rechargeable instead of a AA but if given a choice between AA/AAA and brightness, brightness will win. This has quite a few flashing modes/patterns, some of which can be sped up or slowed down. The one I use while touring lasts all day on a steady flash about every 1/2 second.

I use this bracket to mount it to my Tubus racks which also have the same 50mm bolt pattern. Very secure.: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...2JCT3XTI&psc=1

Tailwinds (and tail lights), John
Old 02-25-22, 07:54 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
The cygolite hotshot is very bright with good selection of modes and an adapter for racks can be purchased which holds it firmly. I use it on a tubus rear rack.
Old 02-25-22, 08:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Outer holes are 50 mm spacing. My Nitto Big rack has a single hole. As noted, used with several different light models of theirs.

Rear rack tail light bracket - Planet Bike

Funny, because I need to replace mine after many years. Bike got blown over by the wind and the mount broke.
Old 02-25-22, 10:40 AM
hfbill

Bikes: Trek 520, Haro Flightline 29er MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
While I'm sure it's not for everyone, for what it's worth, I took a somewhat novel approach to lighting on my bike. I bought a rechargeable 12vdc, 6000mAh Lithium Ion battery that is small enough that it fits nicely in one of the side pockets of my cellphone holder. I then bought lightweight motorcycle LED lights and pulsating directionals, front and rear. I have a total of 2 front and 2 rear day/running lights that the battery will run for about 50 hours straight. I also have brighter "night lights", 1 front & 1 rear that the battery will run (along with the day lights) for about 6 hours. One battery, easily recharged or replaced, for everything. It also has a USB port for cell phone charging. I also installed small, LED lit switches on the handle bars so that all the lights can all be controlled with my thumbs while the rest of my hand remains firmly on my handlebars and without compromising swift access to my brakes as is the case when using hand signals.

Last edited by hfbill; 02-27-22 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-25-22, 11:42 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Planet Bike Superflash has worked well for my familiy's touring bikes. Superflash
As Indyfabz's post said, Planet Bike makes a nice mount fitting most racks and light combinations.

We have also used the Busch & Müller lights. They are good lights, but I think the Supershot's flashing mode is more visible in daylight.

Busch &Muller light. Ours were older models, about 10 years ago, and the newer models might be better.

Last edited by Doug64; 02-25-22 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-25-22, 11:54 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Toplight Line is my preference
Old 02-25-22, 12:07 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Don't know where you're located or where you might tour in the future. Some places legally require both a rear lamp and a reflector, as does the Vienna International Convention on Road Traffic (1968).

I use a CatEye Reflex Auto combined rear lamp and reflector. I power it with rechargeable AAA Panasonic Eneloops locally and can snag AAAs easily enough on longer tours. You would additionally need CatEye's 5445620 rack bracket.

Old 02-25-22, 04:31 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If you are new to the world of bike taillights, the 50mm and 80mm spacing are a European standard. And if you have not learned this already, lights made for use in Germany do not flash. Thus, a lot of the lights that are designed for those mounting points do not flash.

The flashing lights that I use do not use those mounts, but some of the common taillight brands sold in USA that flash can be fitted to those mounting points with an optional bracket.
Thank you for that - I did not realize that. I measured the spacing and it is 18mm. Same as reflectors as far as i can tell
Old 02-25-22, 07:29 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I can get better pictures/details later, but these are what I came across real quick.

I have Tubus racks. On the rear I used a piece of 1" or so PVC tube and zip tied it to the light mount plate. I've been using this for a few years now and it has worked quite well. It lets me use any seat tube mount light.

This is the light I use. I forget what it is, but it is bright. It has the lane mark laser beams on the sides also if you are in to that kind of thing. I will sometimes use them if riding at night. Though, with the light down low on the rack the lane beams are fairly narrow (close). Up on the seat the spread is wider.

Having the light up high is a very nice safety consideration. I ride a lot on country roads. When cresting hills the higher the light is the further back vehicles coming up over said hill can see me. The more advanced warning the better.

The picture above is from the light pole on my bike trailer.

Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 02-25-22, 07:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Loads of great dynamo lights, that is what I would go with, always have lights and no need to charge, replace batteries or deal with a corroded battery holder. Plus you can add USB charging to your set up as well if you are someone who uses devices that need to be charged.
Old 02-26-22, 08:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
I wrap some innertube rubber around the rack tubing to make it a bit thicker and then use the seatstay mount that comes with Planet Bike Superflash lights to attach those lights to my rack, two, one on each side. Typically only use one but in fog or overcast might have both flashing.

Likes For Tourist in MSN: