Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

26 inch Wheels and Tires (1.25-1.50)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-22, 01:24 PM
FoldingSpace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts

Some requests for advice and a couple of recommendations!

I have a Tern Eclipse with 26” wheels, disc brakes and it comes with a set of Schwalbe Kojak 26” 1.35 tires.

That size is hard to find in the US but so far I’ve had good experiences with:

Schwalbe kojak (oem sorta) slick, fast zero traction on anything but hard surfaces

Schwalbe Marathon Plus (tough urban, decent grip on packed dirt, grass etc)

schwalbe CX Pro(soft, knobby, great off road and quick on pavement but very flat prone)

kenda atb/street k-53 (wide, gumwall handsome - grippy but slow although I really should have bumped up a tube size to be sure because they’re true 1.5 w)

I'm looking for a cross between the marathon puncture resistance and the cx pro grip and lightness - so if anyone has reccs or other size definitions I should be looking for I’d appreciate it.

I’m also looking for some carbon mag wheels like those found on the smaller Tern minivelo bikes (I think they’re 20 inch) but I suspect that’s a fool’s errand. Certainly in the US anyway.
Old 05-11-22, 01:42 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Conti Sport Contact
Likes For dabac:
Old 05-12-22, 06:23 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,816 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by FoldingSpace
Schwalbe kojak (oem sorta) slick, fast zero traction on anything but hard surfaces
Schwalbe Marathon Plus (tough urban, decent grip on packed dirt, grass etc)
Interesting. https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ measured lower rolling resistance on the Marathons than the Kojak.
Old 05-12-22, 05:23 PM
FoldingSpace

Originally Posted by tcs
Interesting. https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ measured lower rolling resistance on the Marathons than the Kojak.
not surprised - Kojaks are soft - like f1 tires -and on warm days they’d be very sticky- the marathons are more vulcanized looking/feeling. They’re a fantastic all rounder. Just heavy and tough to fit in a pinch.
Old 05-12-22, 06:03 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
I've had good luck with these on my recumbent:
They are cheap, decent grip.. haven't gotten a flat with them for over 700 miles.
https://www.ridebrooklynny.com/produ...h-378007-1.htm
Old 05-13-22, 02:58 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Suggest looking at the Continental Contact Speed 32-559.
Old 05-14-22, 07:11 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I have toured with a full size touring bike with Schwalbe 40mm wide 26 inch Marathon (with greenguard) tires. Worked great. These are not the plus version that you cited. Roll well and have good puncture resistance. I did pick up a big construction staple that gave me a flat on a tour in Florida, but that would have punctured any tire. Have no complaints.

I use the 40mm tires on that bike on pavement tours, but tours that are more oriented towards off road, I use a different model and wider tire.

Old 05-14-22, 07:16 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
The OP cited the Marathon Plus, not the plain Marathon.

Over the years Schwalbe has had lots of "Marathon" tires. The plain Marathon, when I cite that tire I add - "(with greenguard)" to distinguish the difference.

Over years I have ridden Marathon XR, Marathon Duremes, Marathon Extremes (those are all discontinued) and the plain Marathon (with greenguard). I think they had other Marathons too.
Old 09-14-22, 01:44 PM
FoldingSpace

Originally Posted by tcs
Doesn't surprise me. The Kojaks are a bit like F1 slicks and are definitely tackier, softer rubber. The Marathons are more literally "slick" and have a glossier surface. Not sure about the physics of braking vs acceleration.
Old 09-14-22, 02:49 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
By far the worst tires I ever mounted on my bike were a set of Kojak 20"/406. The only positive thing I can say about them is they were lightweight. I mounted them in the shop where I bought them and didn't even make it the kilometer and a half or so home to where I was staying before having a puncture (I was travelling at the time).

Personally the only Schwalbe tire I've had good experience with is the excellent regular 20" Marathon which has good puncture protection, nice sidewalls and rolls well. Tried the Marathon Racer and found although it performed marginally better than the Kojak it also had poor puncture protection and felt like it had a lot of rolling resistance.