Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

FSA Megaexpo and wavy wahser?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-22, 03:14 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts

I have a mega-expo FSA EXT BER Bottom Bracket on my WIlier. Normally I have have just been riding it on the trainer. Well I took it out today and noticed the cranks have just a little bit of play in them very little less than 2mm. The bike shifts fine no real issue except you can barely see the play and I am not sure if it supposed to have a least some but I doubt it. The crankset is an FSA sk-l carbon crank and non drive side crank arm uses self extracting bolt. I think the wavy washer servers as pre load.

This has the wavy washer on the non drive side. I used the 8mm key to remove crank and that was hard after 8 years of never been off. Finally took off and reinstalled. I notice the wavy washer does have break it is a ring but not completely enclosed circle. Is that correct or should be a complete ring? Then it gets really hard at the end to tighten but does and while the cranks work fine still play in spindle. The bb bearings are fine they spin great but seems like I cannot snug the crank arm to get to zero play. Do I need to install a space now on the non drive crank does it go before the wavy washer or put on after the washer last before crankarm.

Last edited by deacon mark; 04-16-22 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-16-22, 05:04 PM
jolly_codger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 67 Posts
The washer should not be split; it is probably flattened out, which is likely the source of the play. Go and get a replacement from your local shop and bring the old one along so that they can match the ID. I also suggest putting some grease on the splines before you put it all together. Others may have another opinion but I like to minimize any friction resistance when torquing the arm.
Old 04-16-22, 07:15 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The Wavy Washer definitely needs to be whole in order to work as intended. I may be misremembering (and I’m not even sure it matters), but I thought it went on the drive side?

I know of no additional washer that’s required to take up play, so start with a new WW and see if that fixes it.
Old 04-16-22, 09:29 PM
deacon mark

Originally Posted by Rolla
The Wavy Washer definitely needs to be whole in order to work as intended. I may be misremembering (and I’m not even sure it matters), but I thought it went on the drive side?

I know of no additional washer that’s required to take up play, so start with a new WW and see if that fixes it.
No wavy washer definitely on the non drive side no question on that. The question I have is if I add a delrin space is that after the wavy washer. I did order a wheels manufacturing kit that includes new wavy washer and various spaces. FSA web site does not keep older stuff for tech doc. Unlike shimano.
Old 04-16-22, 10:55 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
No wavy washer definitely on the non drive side no question on that. The question I have is if I add a delrin space is that after the wavy washer. I did order a wheels manufacturing kit that includes new wavy washer and various spaces. FSA web site does not keep older stuff for tech doc. Unlike shimano.

I found this info regarding their BB30 bottom bracket: "Place the necessary shims between the non-drive bearing cover and wave spring washer..." I understand that to mean: BB -> spacer -> wave washer -> crankarm.

I don't know if it's the same for the Mega Exo BSA bottom bracket, but that's the order I'd try.

https://www.fsaproshop.com/products/...pacer-for-bb30
Old 04-17-22, 01:15 PM
Tawraste666

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I have this. I destroyed the first bearing by wilfully ignoring the nm spec on the outside of the 8mm bolt.
The wavy washer is intact.
Since I started paying attention to the correct nm spec for tightening all problems (bearing cover deformation, squeeks, lateral play) have all simply disappeared.
Old 04-17-22, 01:22 PM
deacon mark

Originally Posted by Tawraste666
I have this. I destroyed the first bearing by wilfully ignoring the nm spec on the outside of the 8mm bolt.
The wavy washer is intact.
Since I started paying attention to the correct nm spec for tightening all problems (bearing cover deformation, squeeks, lateral play) have all simply disappeared.
Problem with mine is I have put plenty of force on the 8MM bolt and the wavy washer is not at all flattened. The side will not quite snug up enough to take the slight play out of the crank. It is not the bearings at all they spin fine and the cranks spin. It is just the play in the axel and it moves a but but more pronounced at the end naturally where the chainring is. I can ride the bike fine this way as such but I know this is not correct. My shimano 6800 on the other bike has zero play and spins prefect with 34000 miles on it in fact. Possible the wavy washer not being intact is the issue.
Old 04-17-22, 01:24 PM
deacon mark

I order a wheels manufacturing kit of various delrin 24mm rings, seals, and a wavy washer. I am hoping that will come fast and I can see if this fixes the issue. I am pretty sure it will but? I think I will try and call FSA tomorrow I am mechanic and this has me a bit fuzzy.
Old 04-17-22, 01:29 PM
Tawraste666

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Just wondering, have you cleaned out the mating faces of the crank and crank arm? There's a lot of room for crap to built up. In particular, the crank arm has a lot of recessed areas.
I clean mine out with carb cleaner, and then tighten to spec with the mating faces greased.
Old 04-17-22, 09:05 PM
woodman 39

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This goes on the drive side.
FSA Mega Exo Spindle O-Ring MS150 24mm ID metal/rubber
Put that in the search on ebay, I can't post links yet.