Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SHimano R7000 crankset on 10 spd

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-22, 11:45 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts

Just asking to see if anyone has this set up and does it all work fine. I have 6700 groupset and I want to add a new R7000 crankset. All the data and research suggest no issues at all. I think eventually then I will go to 11 speed but I want the crank now. So is anyone running this set up and using a 10 spd chain? Is it better to use and 11 spd chain? I take and thought and advice I am sure many do this.
Old 04-19-22, 11:49 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Don't know about Shimano, but I am using an 11 speed Campagnolo crankset with 10 speed Campagnolo shifters and derailleurs on 2 bikes. No problems
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 04-19-22, 01:37 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Just asking to see if anyone has this set up and does it all work fine. I have 6700 groupset and I want to add a new R7000 crankset. All the data and research suggest no issues at all. I think eventually then I will go to 11 speed but I want the crank now. So is anyone running this set up and using a 10 spd chain? Is it better to use and 11 spd chain? I take and thought and advice I am sure many do this.
According to Lennard Zinn, this would work with either chain, but a 10s chain would work better than a 11s chain; compare his respective responses to Barb and Dave:

Tech FAQ: Chain width explained, compatibility queries answered - VeloNews.com

My understanding is that, when mixing 10s and 11s drivetrain components, best to have matching chain and cassette. I run the opposite setup: 10s Shimano 105 chain rings with an otherwise 11s Shimano drivetrain (mostly 105 except Ultegra cassette and chain).
Likes For SoSmellyAir: