Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Joytech 7s to 8s freehub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Joytech 7s to 8s freehub

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 02:21 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Joytech 7s to 8s freehub

Hi

I am working on a mid-90s Hardrock. The rear hub is 7s Joytech (Joytech 96A). Is it possible to replace the freehub with an 8s one (I am aware of the need to move the spacers/use different spacers and redish the wheel)? Apparently I need a 12mm allen wrench on the NDS to unscrew the freehub and remove it, but what 8s one do I need? Shimano at least has drawings, but this is Joytech and it is very old. Maybe someone has hands on experience with it...

As another option I could rebuild with a Shimano FH-T610 (I think it has the same PCD), but in this case I should probably just buy a new wheel since the current rim is single wall anyway (looks like Weinmann 519).

Joytech 96A hub

NDS view
Old 07-28-22, 10:20 AM
jimc101

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
1st question, can you get a replacement freehub? being a Joytech, would be surprised if you could have gotten on back int he 90's chances are for a 30is year old product today are going to be low to no

Would do the math on the time your are going to put into this vs just buying a replacement wheel, and see which comes out cheaper, thinking that just replacing with a new one would be a lot cheaper, and then you would still have the old 7 speed to use as a spare (no reason has been given for why your pulling it apart)
Old 07-28-22, 11:40 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Do you just want 8 speeds? If so you can do the '8 of 9 on 7' trick. In other words, run a 9 speed cassette but leave out one cog, Those remaining 8 cogs will fit on that 7 speed body. You would need to run 9 speed shifters.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 07-30-22, 01:29 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
1st question, can you get a replacement freehub? being a Joytech, would be surprised if you could have gotten on back int he 90's chances are for a 30is year old product today are going to be low to no

Would do the math on the time your are going to put into this vs just buying a replacement wheel, and see which comes out cheaper, thinking that just replacing with a new one would be a lot cheaper, and then you would still have the old 7 speed to use as a spare (no reason has been given for why your pulling it apart)
The original plan was to replace the freehub, which failed.

The labor is free as I work on the bikes for fun as a home mechanic

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Do you just want 8 speeds? If so you can do the '8 of 9 on 7' trick. In other words, run a 9 speed cassette but leave out one cog, Those remaining 8 cogs will fit on that 7 speed body. You would need to run 9 speed shifters.
Thank you! I though of this, then I will have a remorse for not having 9 of 9. Probably I will rebuild the wheel with a T610 hub I have in the parts bin.

For now I re-greased and re-assembled the rear hub as is.

Last edited by csport; 07-30-22 at 08:57 PM.