Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Br-7402 Dura Ace, brake pivot bolt torque

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-22, 01:48 PM
Ric Toronto 

Bikes: Vitus 979 Dural, Dura Ace + Mosso, Mustang carbon, Deore XT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In process of dealing with a bent pivot bolt, I disassembled, cleaned and lubed the front caliper.
I discovered a broken "star washer" so am trying to fidn ine, but in process discovered thrust bearing/washers. When re-assambling how do I tighten the forward nut? Is there a torques setting?
Thanks
Old 09-22-22, 07:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
IIRC the start washer has nothing to do with the "bearing" adjustment that sets the caliper arms' slop and easy movement. The star washer is "outside" the arm's involvement.

The two caliper arms should freely pivot with as little slop or rock between them. This is a trial-and-error process with checks of the setting after the lock nut is tightened. Just like bearing adjustments on cup and cone units.

I suspect the star washer was between the center bolt's fixed part (that also has the spring slot) and the frame/fork. This is a common method to try to keep the center bolt (and that spring) from rotating off center. As long as the center bolt is well secured in the frame/fork this start washer is not really needed. A lot of high-end calipers have had a thick and very solid spacer with serrations on both faces, acting much like a cheap start washer but being far more robust. A good service focused shop likely has these stronger washers/spacers for not too much $. Andy
Old 09-22-22, 07:44 PM
Ric Toronto 

Bikes: Vitus 979 Dural, Dura Ace + Mosso, Mustang carbon, Deore XT

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
IIRC the start washer has nothing to do with the "bearing" adjustment that sets the caliper arms' slop and easy movement. The star washer is "outside" the arm's involvement.

The two caliper arms should freely pivot with as little slop or rock between them. This is a trial-and-error process with checks of the setting after the lock nut is tightened. Just like bearing adjustments on cup and cone units.

I suspect the star washer was between the center bolt's fixed part (that also has the spring slot) and the frame/fork. This is a common method to try to keep the center bolt (and that spring) from rotating off center. As long as the center bolt is well secured in the frame/fork this start washer is not really needed. A lot of high-end calipers have had a thick and very solid spacer with serrations on both faces, acting much like a cheap start washer but being far more robust. A good service focused shop likely has these stronger washers/spacers for not too much $. Andy
Thanks, and as I suspected re the "locking" washer. I had hoped there might be some sort of torque measurement for the moving arms. But as you suggest, trial and error. I've bent the pivot bolt in a bad fall, and took things apart to figure out why the brakes were noisy. Parts are pretty much unavailable so, I've figured out how to straighten that bolt and wanted to get correct torque etc after clean and lube etc. Thanks for your reply
Old 09-22-22, 07:44 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Look here for a basic help and if you have further issues expand on your issue. Shimano brake caliper mounting torque spec is usually 5 - 7 NM if that is what you mean by the forward nut. Park Tool web site is very good at the basic repair stuff and helpful with the vernacular which helps us with understanding what your issue is exactly.
https://manualzz.com/doc/53871442/sh...ce-instruction