Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hollowtech (II?) bottom bracket

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-23-22, 03:44 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts

I want to replace cheap Chinese single cranks on my mtb with double XT M785 crankset. The new cranks are a very tight fit for the existing no-name bottom bracket bearings. The BB is a bit tight for the old cranks too, but seem to work just fine.

Shall I just hammer the new cranks in or do I need to replace the BB?

Any recommendations for a decent quality BB in case of the latter? No plans to race, just building a commuting monster-cross.

Last edited by alexk_il; 10-23-22 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-23-22, 07:07 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Is the frame use a threaded (English) bottom bracket or one of the various press-in types? If threaded, any of the Shimano HTII models should work. That tight fit may be partially due to poor bottom bracket shell alignment. If the end of the spindle when inserted from the drive side doesn't align nearly perfectly with the nds cup before being pushed through, the parallelism of the faces of the shell should be corrected.
Old 10-23-22, 07:59 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
When you say tight ?
Is the new crankset tight when offered up to a single bearing?
Test it in both left and right bearings.

Barry
Old 10-23-22, 08:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Seeing how Hollowtech cranks can use either a threaded BB or a pressfit BB, it might be nice to know what your BB shell is and even the model of bike so maybe the actaul size of the BB shell can be determined.

Shimano 2 piece cranks, some of which are hollowtech, should just slip right into the BB with no effort. Certainly no hammering required.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-23-22, 09:37 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
I think alex_il means the spindle is tight as it slides into the bearing. It usually requires hitting the crank with the heel of your hand to get it seated properly. It shouldn’t require any more force than that, however.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-23-22, 09:45 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I think alex_il means the spindle is tight as it slides into the bearing. It usually requires hitting the crank with the heel of your hand to get it seated properly. It shouldn’t require any more force than that, however.
I've seen cranks enter either bearing without issue. But going all the way through is tight.
Bearing misalignment is to blame.
The fix for misalignment is very different than for bearings having an interference fit I.D.

So, alexk_il which is it ?

Barry
Old 10-24-22, 03:32 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by Barry2
I've seen cranks enter either bearing without issue. But going all the way through is tight.
Bearing misalignment is to blame.
The fix for misalignment is very different than for bearings having an interference fit I.D.

So, alexk_il which is it ?

Barry
No idea. How do I tell?

My jerk knee reaction is just to replace the BB. Is it not going to help? The BB is a threaded one with what seems to require a Hollowtech spanner.
Old 10-24-22, 05:28 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il
No idea. How do I tell?

My jerk knee reaction is just to replace the BB. Is it not going to help? The BB is a threaded one with what seems to require a Hollowtech spanner.
Slip the crank spindle individually into each existing BB bearing, but not through both. That will tell you if you have a single or double overly "tight" bearing in the old BB.

A new BB will help if it's a question of having an overly tight bearing in the old BB (e.g., one with a slightly undersized ID for the new spindle's OD). However, if the bottom bracket shell ends (faces) on your bike are not exactly parallel, the bearing bores on both cranksets (new and old) may not line up exactly - and the fit may also be tight when you try to pass the crank through the second bearing. In that case a new BB may not help much if at all.

Assuming your frame is metal, having the bottom bracket faced by a bike shop with the equipment and skills to do that would ensure the shell faces are parallel. But not all LBS do that any more.

If your frame is carbon, dunno what to tell you. Don't think facing one of those is a good idea, even if it's possible.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 12-02-22, 03:02 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by alexk_il
I want to replace cheap Chinese single cranks on my mtb with double XT M785 crankset. The new cranks are a very tight fit for the existing no-name bottom bracket bearings. The BB is a bit tight for the old cranks too, but seem to work just fine.

Shall I just hammer the new cranks in or do I need to replace the BB?

Any recommendations for a decent quality BB in case of the latter? No plans to race, just building a commuting monster-cross.
OP here, status update.

Didn't have time to work on it, was too busy slowly working on other bike parts.

Anyway, ​​​​​​​the old BB finally failed yesterday, I replaced it with the new BB80 Saint, new cranks fit like a glove, all is sorted now.
Likes For alexk_il: