Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Vittoria Corsa N.Ext tighter than Conti GP5000 TR (tubeless)?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-22, 08:14 AM
TerrenceM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

After breaking multiple tire levers, blood blisters in palms mounting the Conti GP5000 TR (previous version tubeless) was considering Vittoria Corsa N.Ext, but have seen some consumer reviews saying they are tight too.. but all relative! Anyone have experience with Contis AND Vittorias and comment on their relative tightness to the Contis?

Also considering Goodyear Eagle F1 Tubeless too if you can comment on them relative to Contis..?

Old 10-28-22, 08:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Usually too tight means you need more practice putting them on. Once I figured it out, I've never had a problem with tight tires since. I don't use any levers to install and many times can remove a tire with no lever.

But a lot of folks here seem to swear by kool stop's tire bead jack.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-28-22, 08:38 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I'm one of the fans of the Kool Stop tire jack as it will install nearly any tire on any rim and there are indeed combinations that require more than hand strength. You do realize there are some specific "tricks" to installing tubeless tires on tubeless ready rims?

I have no experience with Vittoria tubeless tires but have installed many Vittoria Rubino Pro and Zaffiro 700-23 road tires by hand on a variety of rims with little difficulty.
Old 10-28-22, 08:38 AM
TerrenceM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Usually too tight means you need more practice putting them on. Once I figured it out, I've never had a problem with tight tires since. I don't use any levers to install and many times can remove a tire with no lever.

yeah, don’t really agree with this..

1) the rim tire combo can make it harder or easier depending.. so your experience might not be mine

2) I’ve also used Mavic UST and they require technique to get on but go on WAY easier than the Contis.. with no tools 🤷🏽‍♂️

3) One of the selling points of the new version of the Conti tubeless is that they go on easier!

4) I’ve gotten the Contis on.. I’m just not interested in fighting that hard to get my tires on when there are other options.. that I ALREADY have experience with that go on easier.

Appreciate the comment, but I’m SPECIFICALLY asking about tires that go on EASIER than Conti GP5000 TR
Likes For TerrenceM:
Old 10-28-22, 08:46 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
The 5000 TL (discontinued) were a terrible fight to mount.
After trying the new S TR version, I gave my remaining TL away.

The 5000 S TR are much more Pleasent to mount.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 10-28-22, 08:58 AM
TerrenceM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
I'm one of the fans of the Kool Stop tire jack as it will install nearly any tire on any rim and there are indeed combinations that require more than hand strength. You do realize there are some specific "tricks" to installing tubeless tires on tubeless ready rims?

I have no experience with Vittoria tubeless tires but have installed many Vittoria Rubino Pro and Zaffiro 700-23 road tires by hand on a variety of rims with little difficulty.
Thanks for response!

Road tubeless tires tend to be harder to mount due to thicker, zero stretch beads required for tubeless.. also some manufacturers like Conti seem to have gone overboard on tightness in their gen 1 road tubeless as the current version touts that these go on easier..

I broke a pair of those tire pliers (at hook part at the rim) remounting the Contis.. remounting tends to be EVEN HARDER than initial mount since now you have dried tacky sealant on tire that prevents the tire from sliding as easily..😏
Old 10-28-22, 09:04 AM
TerrenceM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barry2
The 5000 TL (discontinued) were a terrible fight to mount.
After trying the new S TR version, I gave my remaining TL away.

The 5000 S TR are much more Pleasent to mount.

Barry
Thanks for the confirmation Barry!

These are awesome tires good to know they have corrected in the S-TR.. might end up ultimately grabbing some of the S-TRs, but want to experiment with some other brands too.. Contis roll REALLY well, but super expensive 😏
Old 10-28-22, 09:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by TerrenceM
Appreciate the comment, but I’m SPECIFICALLY asking about tires that go on EASIER than Conti GP5000 TR
I've seen so many complain about tight tires. There doesn't seem to be any specific tire or rim combo to the complaints. And many of them have been about the tires and rim combo's I have used. If you wish to send yours to me, I'll be glad to try myself. If I have issues I'll admit them here and then shut up.

Did you get the first side of the tire on the rim with no issues? If you did, then the second side should be the same. You just need to get the first side out of the area of the rim that has the smaller diameter and the second side into that area. Usually pushing the first side up on it's bead seat will get it out of the way.

But still, a good tire bead jack will make it all quick for you and if you have old fingers, then it'll save them.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-28-22, 09:44 AM
TerrenceM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen so many complain about tight tires. There doesn't seem to be any specific tire or rim combo to the complaints. And many of them have been about the tires and rim combo's I have used. If you wish to send yours to me, I'll be glad to try myself. If I have issues I'll admit them here and then shut up.

Did you get the first side of the tire on the rim with no issues? If you did, then the second side should be the same. You just need to get the first side out of the area of the rim that has the smaller diameter and the second side into that area. Usually pushing the first side up on it's bead seat will get it out of the way.

But still, a good tire bead jack will make it all quick for you and if you have old fingers, then it'll save them.
I you have any experience with the relative tightness of the Vittorias to the Contis I mention it would be much appreciated.
Old 10-28-22, 09:46 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
Originally Posted by TerrenceM
Thanks for the confirmation Barry!

These are awesome tires good to know they have corrected in the S-TR.. might end up ultimately grabbing some of the S-TRs, but want to experiment with some other brands too.. Contis roll REALLY well, but super expensive 😏
Beware, I did have issues with sealant. There is a post on it.
Stan's wouldn't seal, I had to switch to Orange Regular.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 10-29-22, 09:11 AM
TerrenceM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barry2
Beware, I did have issues with sealant. There is a post on it.
Stan's wouldn't seal, I had to switch to Orange Regular.

Barry
Thanks for the heads up!

I do use Stan’s since I really like their Dart plugs.. just super easy to use! They seem to indicate that you need to use their sealant with these Dart plugs.. but not sure.. unfortunate 😏