Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vitus 979 frame as wall art (seat clamp crack)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-22, 03:15 AM
Lotus907efi

Bikes: 2012 Litespeed C1R w/ 10spd DI2, 2005 Cannondale Six13, 1998 GT Forte titanium, 1989 Cannondale SR600 w/Shimano 105 group, Nishiki Pinnacle MTB, Vitus 979 w/Campag Veloce, Peugeot PSV10

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

As with the other complete Vitus bike I found on Ebay (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-off-ebay.html) I got this frameset off Ebay but from France this time. I got it very cheap because it has a bad crack around the seat tube clamp area. I mainly bought this because it came with a fork which I might be able to use for another 979 frame that is on it's way to me from the UK. I received it in the post this morning and immediately took it to a welder friend. He confirmed that because of the bonded tube construction that the frame is just wall art. I.E. not repairable. I got this for 45 euros plus shipping from France where shipping the frame was more than the purchase price of the frame.

It has some stickers on it that say "Cycles Jacky Besson Romans" I did a little bit of research on this and this seems to have been a cycle shop in Romans Sur Isere in southern France.

Looks good from this photo but it's not really

See the sticker from Jacky Besson Romans

Sticker on the headtube is quite damaged so difficult to make out.

Vitus 979 sticker visible in this photo

More views of the Cycles Jacky Besson stickers here

See the crack in the seat post clamp

Cycles J Besson Romans
Old 10-30-22, 04:38 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I wonder if it could be made safe to ride by bonding a then non-removable seat post or sleeve of appropriate length inside the seat tube

Last edited by sced; 10-30-22 at 04:45 AM.
Likes For sced:
Old 10-30-22, 05:39 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts

Just sayin you kno……

Seriously yea I know this won’t really fix this but thought I’d have a bit of fun

Did you search around the forums? I thought there was a post about someone maybe even Vitus repairing them.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-30-22, 07:34 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
If caught early in the crack formation I have heard skill aluminum technicians can make a repair. Vitus used heat activated epoxy for the tube bonding from the aerospace industry in the late '80s and '90s but as suggested a seat tube bond might survive. My early Vitus with the grub screw seat clamp is the only aluminum frame I ever kept and love it to this day. I am not a threat to flex a bottom bracket and love the Vitus ride which was a surprise to me especially with an aluminum fork.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 10-30-22, 10:11 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 857 Posts
Internal-expanding seatpost to the rescue!

Many seatposts can be converted to a quill-style post, assuming that this frame's value and factor of safety are deemed good enough to bother making such a post for it.
Old 10-31-22, 04:51 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Internal-expanding seatpost to the rescue!

Many seatposts can be converted to a quill-style post, assuming that this frame's value and factor of safety are deemed good enough to bother making such a post for it.
Hmmm... Would the aluminum seat tube be strong enough to resist the pressure from the modified seatpost?