Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Superteam wheels hub choice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-22, 06:08 PM
crn3371

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts

Can anyone shed some light on the difference between the Powerway R13 hubs that come standard on the Superteam wheels from Amazon and the upgraded R36 hubs? The R36 equipped wheels cost about $100 more and ship from China while the standard R13 equipped wheels ship locally. Worth the extra money, or run away as they’re all crap?
Old 11-15-22, 08:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
R13 uses j bend spokes.
R36 uses straight pull spokes.
Also, the R36 has a carbon shell, though that is almost for sure fake and just for decoration.

It's your money. Me?...I have no interest in paying $365 for carbon rim brake wheels with 20/24 spokes and the details that show on Amazon. There is just such little detail, and some of it is clearly wrong.
The Powerway website is also quite worthless. There is no design info/spec sheet.
I would take that money and either buy the best alloy wheelset I can, or save up another $100 and buy any number of known quality alloy wheelsets that are handbuilt with established components that have spec sheets for $450.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-15-22, 11:49 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Bought a set from aliexpress early this year and haven't had any issues. I watched plenty of youtube videos about them before pulling the trigger. Mine are disc and use CX6 hubs so the only I can really add is pull the freehub and check for enough grease. Mine seemed fine but some reviews complained about there not being enough.
Old 11-16-22, 05:26 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
I upgraded to the R36 for the set I bought in 2018 and just serviced them for the first time this year at around 12k miles. They were still smooth and trouble free but I was doing Zipps at the same time so just did it for comparison. Honestly, I bought them originally as cheap wheels, and didn't expect to get nearly the life or the quality out of them that I have. I also own a set with R13 hubs that I've just not ridden as much so I can't give a fair opinion.