Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin 530 woes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin 530 woes

Old 11-18-22, 05:44 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
Garmin 530 woes

I’ve had my Garmin 530 for a little over a year now. Recently it has started to freeze almost every ride. That I don’t mind much, it’s not as consistent as it was.
The issue I have now, when I switch bikes my devices will no longer connect. I have three bikes, three different power meters, and 2 different varias. A month ago, I could hop on any bike with any varia and fire the garmin up and not have any issues. Today I have to delete all the other power meters and varia before each ride and re connect them.

I think this has to do with storage. I ride a lot and have yet to free up space in my head unit. Without a computer how do I do this? If I delete a ride on my head unit, will I lose the data on my garmin app?

I asked this question over at garmin and have not heard back, so figured I would ask the experts here.

Also, my stages power meter on my cervelo never wants to calibrate before a ride. I always get error code 32. Sometimes I can get it to calibrate in the middle of the ride but that’s not guaranteed. Does this happen to anyone else?
Old 11-18-22, 05:51 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,044 Times in 1,170 Posts
You can manually delete rides on the device. Are you connected to the Mobile App on a smartphone and to the Garmin Connect website ?. If not, do that and your history will upload to the web. Then you can erase the rides on the devise. And, Yes, a stuffed device can be the cause of a lot of issues. I clear put my 1030 end of every year as everything is saved on Rode With GPS.
Old 11-18-22, 07:06 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Steve B.
You can manually delete rides on the device. Are you connected to the Mobile App on a smartphone and to the Garmin Connect website ?. If not, do that and your history will upload to the web. Then you can erase the rides on the devise. And, Yes, a stuffed device can be the cause of a lot of issues. I clear put my 1030 end of every year as everything is saved on Rode With GPS.

I have the garmin connect app on my phone, does that automatically connect to the website or do I need to do something else?
Old 11-18-22, 07:40 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by bampilot06
I have the garmin connect app on my phone, does that automatically connect to the website or do I need to do something else?
It automatically connects to the Connect website, you will have to create an account then log in to that account from the Mobile app.
Old 11-19-22, 10:33 AM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
Wow, I had no idea these were accumulating. I figured that once a recorded activity was transferred to my phone and the web site, that it was cleared from storage on the Garmin device. Now that I look, there they are. I guess I have some housekeeping to do.
Old 11-19-22, 11:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
You for certain should be calling Garmin Support. Don't email them. Call them. Their phone system will let you put your phone number in and they will call you back. So you won't have to sit on hold waiting for hours.

I've not had any of the issue with my Edge 530 that you seem to describe. Though there have been times it's acted odd after an update. Usually doing a soft reset helps and it doesn't affect your data.
Old 11-19-22, 11:43 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Wifey has had that a lot. It follows her more than anything else, but yes, if your rides show up in GC they don't need to be on your Edge anymore. However, that shouldn't cause it to not connect to sensors...
Old 11-19-22, 11:49 AM
bampilot06

It makes sense to me. When I owned a computer, it would act ****** when the storage was full, my phone acts ****** when the storage is full, my work ipad works ****** even when the storage isn’t full. I would suspect the little garmin would start to act ****** if the storage is full.

Deleted all of 2021 rides last night. No connectivity issues this morning. With that being said I can’t remember which bike or varia I used last time.
Old 11-19-22, 04:30 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
No you will not lose the data. I clear the rides a few times a year.
Old 11-19-22, 04:46 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by George
No you will not lose the data. I clear the rides a few times a year.
Maybe clarify this. He wont lose data IF he has the device BT connected to the mobile app and the mobile app has been saving the files on the Connect website. If none of that has happened, removing from the device loses that data.
Old 11-19-22, 06:34 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
It makes sense to me. When I owned a computer, it would act ****** when the storage was full, my phone acts ****** when the storage is full, my work ipad works ****** even when the storage isn’t full. I would suspect the little garmin would start to act ****** if the storage is full.

Deleted all of 2021 rides last night. No connectivity issues this morning. With that being said I can’t remember which bike or varia I used last time.
I mean I never cleared mine and it worked fine...

Glad if it's sorted though.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 11-20-22, 05:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by UnCruel
Wow, I had no idea these were accumulating. I figured that once a recorded activity was transferred to my phone and the web site, that it was cleared from storage on the Garmin device. Now that I look, there they are. I guess I have some housekeeping to do.
​​​​​​Some people like the "race a previous activity" feature.

I wouldn't care or even notice if all the activities on my device were deleted. I look at the data on a phone or laptop not my watch or Edge. I never bother to delete the files though and it's never caused a problem to have them there. Maybe it has to do with how much space each different device has.