Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Older "Truvative" crank suspect?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-22, 12:58 AM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts

My GF bought a used roadbike to give it a try. I wasn't there for the deal but it's a full on older 105 3x8 setup (Guessing 5600 - I need to confirm), it looked like a good deal. Anyway the only non 105 part is a Truvative crank that seems to be a PITA. When she got it she said the guy seemed like he knew what he was doing, I put the bike on the stand and went through it all and it was well tuned. I didn't feel the need to adjust a single screw.

She doesn't even have 100km on it yet but the front shifting has been a bit a of a pain. Today we only did 37km and it dropped the chain twice on the low side - I checked the low limit screw and if I tighten it up anymore the chain will rub on small chainring/large cog, so I'm not sure I can do anything there. The chain also jammed in between two chain rings during the ride, that's a new one for me. Any suggestions on what I should look for?.... besides a new crank
Old 05-13-22, 03:07 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
It sounds like an adjustment problem with the derailleur. 5600 is 10 speed, but I am not sure which 105 is 8. I have a Truvativ Elita crank set that has been really good for 16 years and at least 20,000 miles. You can watch videos on Youtube, Parktool.com, etc. that show front derailleur set up. There is more to it than just the cable tension. Was the chain on the small chain ring when you set the tension on the cable and then tightened the clamp? That is the correct starting position. Are the rings oriented on the crank set properly?
Old 05-13-22, 05:40 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
I run a Truvativ Rouleur (3x9) crankset on one of my often-used bikes. Ultegra shifters and front derailleur. Thousands of miles on that bike and I haven't had any issues.

I'd confirm what derailleur you're actually working with & barring any red flags there, pull up Park Tool's video on setting up the FD and start from scratch with the setup.

edit: I should mention, my crank has to be in the 15-20ish year old category And I assume you're running a proper chain..

Last edited by fishboat; 05-13-22 at 05:44 AM.
Old 05-13-22, 06:48 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
The fact that the chain dropped between the rings makes me wonder if something is up with that.

Is it possible that the chain is for a higher number of speeds then the rings are designed for? As you go from 8-9-10-11-12, the chain gets narrower, and the rings change slightly to accommodate. Being 1 speed off works fine, even two usually works fine. But at some point the chain hets too narrow and can slip between the rings.

Also, the FD shape changes slightly as the chain narrows as you increase the speeds. Again there is a bit of leeway where things still work, but only up to a point.

There should be a model number etched into the chain. Find out what it is to rule out the above possibility.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-13-22, 08:43 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Agree with the above posters. In addition to checking the chain size and starting from scratch on the derailleur setup you can check to see if any chainring spacers/washers have been installed between your chainrings which would also cause the chain to get caught between the rings. Also, if the cranks are not original it could have a poor chainline from a wrong length BB axle.
Old 05-13-22, 08:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
TruVativ is a low cost crank. That's why you see them on lower tier bikes that don't have a full Shimano, SRAM or Campagnolo group on them.

However it's very doubtful the crank is any of your issue. It's likely a DR adjusted wrong, worn out cogs or chain, too long a chain or the operator stops pedaling briefly before the shift on the front is completed or even pedals backwards before the shift is completed.

Though if a previous owner put stuff on that just isn't correct for that bike then anything is a guess.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-13-22, 12:45 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
TruVativ is a low cost crank. That's why you see them on lower tier bikes that don't have a full Shimano, SRAM or Campagnolo group on them.
? it's a sub-brand of SRAM, and are mid-high end components,
Likes For jimc101:
Old 05-13-22, 01:15 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
If the chain got jammed between chain rings, then either the chain is the wrong type or the crankset is wrong.
First things first- you need to note down exactly what components are on there. Can you find a stock photo or spec sheet of the same bike? Try to change everything back to the stock configuration first.
Old 05-13-22, 01:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
? it's a sub-brand of SRAM, and are mid-high end components,
Well in an effort to shorten the words used, I probably misconstrued and maligned a product you feel good about. I have no feeling one way or another for TruVativ.

However the bicycle manufacturers usually keep all of the same groupset together on higher tier bikes of the same model save for maybe wheels. As you move down the same model line to less expensive models you start seeing different brands of cranks, brakes, cassettes and sometimes other weird combinations.

While many times the substituted component is of roughly comparable quality for the tier group the bike is aimed at, the crank, TruVativ, was almost certainly obtained by the bike manufacturer at a lower cost than a Shimano crank appropriate for that tier would have been.

Though there is also the possibility that a previous owner put the crank on the bike.
Old 05-13-22, 02:21 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Iride01
Well in an effort to shorten the words used, I probably misconstrued and maligned a product you feel good about. I have no feeling one way or another for TruVativ.

However the bicycle manufacturers usually keep all of the same groupset together on higher tier bikes of the same model save for maybe wheels. As you move down the same model line to less expensive models you start seeing different brands of cranks, brakes, cassettes and sometimes other weird combinations.

While many times the substituted component is of roughly comparable quality for the tier group the bike is aimed at, the crank, TruVativ, was almost certainly obtained by the bike manufacturer at a lower cost than a Shimano crank appropriate for that tier would have been.

Though there is also the possibility that a previous owner put the crank on the bike.
Did Truvativ even exist when 105 was 8 speed?

Truvativ had higher level stuff back in the 2000s. At least for MTB they did. I think that changed as SRAM reordered their product lines / brands.
Old 05-13-22, 02:45 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
I would suspect the chain is too narrow for that crank.
Are there any markings on the chain to denote width?

I wouldn't really expect a 9 speed chain to give problems on an 8 speed crank, but maybe a 10 speed chain would?
Proper spacers between chain rings? Maybe the seller bodged a crank together that seemed OK around the block, but doesn't always shift reliably long term.
Proper FDER "speeds"?
Old 05-13-22, 02:59 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Until the OP response clarifying what chain, crank, and rings he has, there is not much more to do here.

i suspect that crankset may not be what came stock on the bike.