Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to tights for cooler weather

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Alternatives to tights for cooler weather

Old 10-05-22, 11:15 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I doubt you will find any textile experts. You've got engineers around, though. That review is from six years ago and pretty spurious. The pants could have been made anywhere since then and god knows what the tag says now. Nevertheless, I read the standard. The standard prohibits anything seriously dangerous. Other than that, it's about color fastness, ph, and formaldehyde. If you are worried about the latter two you can toss it in the washing machine

If you want to worry you'd be more concerned about fit and quality, as that comprises all the rest of the complaints. They couldn't even make the pants fit in photoshop

Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-05-22, 11:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
When the temps drop in autumn (below 50 in the morning) I switch to liners under long workout pants.
Over:
https://www.rei.com/product/157092/r...ing-pants-mens
nice, cycling specific I like REI's "Novara Headwind Pants" that they don't make anymore. look similar w/ zip ankles but mine have a single back pocket which is sometimes handy for a key. I like that they are for cycling but not "tight". I size up & use suspenders, to keep them in place. recently, after a dog attack, I had our local tailor replace one ankle zipper. ride on
Old 10-05-22, 11:20 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I have a pair of chrome pants as I wanted something I could work in and did not have to change. Plus I need something that holds up I have worn the crotch out of more jean pants. they block the wind and the rain on your legs. when it is closer to 32 then I use this guys. water proof and really warm. they kept my legs so warm my whole body stayed warmer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
cool, how is the sizing?
Old 10-05-22, 11:26 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
i wear regular trousers and mid-calf length socks. I tuck the pant legs inside the socks and that prevents a pantleg from getting caught in the chain and it prevents wind from blowing up the pant leg.

Cheers
Old 10-05-22, 02:07 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
I don’t love rolling up to work in typical spandex cycling tights that leave nothing to the imagination for my coworkers - the bike rack is right outside the main entrance.
Where I work all summer the women are wearing those tight yoga pants that leave nothing to the imagination, so I return the favor come fall.

Seriously I don't think anyone is offended by tight-fitting stuff anymore. Maybe a few years ago they were.
Old 10-05-22, 02:28 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
cool, how is the sizing?
the pants were normal the pair of shorts was about 1" smaller for some reason.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-06-22, 05:04 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
https://www.craftsports.us/collectio...s-pants-tights
Old 10-06-22, 07:30 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
Where I work all summer the women are wearing those tight yoga pants that leave nothing to the imagination, so I return the favor come fall.Seriously I don't think anyone is offended by tight-fitting stuff anymore. Maybe a few years ago they were.
some men are even wearing tights to the gym
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-06-22, 07:35 AM
rumrunn6

the pants were normal the pair of shorts was about 1" smaller for some reason.
thank you. after reading other review, I just ordered a pair 1 size up. safety for my "Dad bod" .. I'll wear them with suspenders. Wifey & I often go for walks in the winter & I wear my cycling pants, but I think these would be better. a little loose is OK, especially if I wear running tights under them. we walk year 'round & she has some nice thermal tech pants like those
Old 10-06-22, 08:48 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
If someone wanted to cover up in warm temps from the sun, would the soccer pants be too warm?
Possibly. It might depend on the pants, but I wear mine in cooler weather, both for soccer and to and from the gym, the same as my track pants. I'd want something lighter weight in hot weather (I think you can buy sun sleeves for your legs?). (But, YMMV. There are people who work out in sweatshirts and I'd die, so...)
Likes For Kat12:
Old 10-08-22, 10:35 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Where I work all summer the women are wearing those tight yoga pants that leave nothing to the imagination, so I return the favor come fall.

Seriously I don't think anyone is offended by tight-fitting stuff anymore. Maybe a few years ago they were.
People on this forum get weird about tights and shorts
Old 10-08-22, 11:44 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
I don’t love rolling up to work in typical spandex cycling tights that leave nothing to the imagination for my coworkers - the bike rack is right outside the main entrance.
Suggestions?
Put a pair of mountain bike shorts on over the tights.
Old 10-08-22, 12:03 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
People on this forum get weird about tights and shorts
Everything and anything.
Old 10-09-22, 11:17 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Thank me later. Just order one size up from what you normally wear. The the size chart is valid.

https://www.amazon.com/4ucycling-Win...-1-spons&psc=1
Something like this. Mine are North Face, like THESE. They are very durable and waterproof. I get them a size bigger than my normal pants so I can throw them on over my work clothes. In the winter I add a pair of long "polar fleece" pants under the shell if it's below zero Fahrenheit. (Chicago, IL)
Old 10-10-22, 12:21 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Why have tights become the default? To me they are an unreasonable expectation. I wear whatever I want to wear. I require pockets, crotch-reinforcement, belt-loops. BDU trousers/shorts are generous with all of those features.

I never wear padded shorts, either. Don't want/need a padded butt. Having a decent saddle is enough for me. Brooks C15 w/cutout, on all of my bicycles.
Old 10-10-22, 07:25 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Why have tights become the default?
I never wear padded shorts, either.
I think you answered your own question there: many people need some padding; tights are also very good at not chafing.

Note that where I am most commuters are not wearing tights so they are not the default in my area. I didn't use tights maybe thirty years ago but I bought one pair and never looked back.
Old 10-10-22, 10:23 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
tights are also very good at not chafing.
What's chafing about trousers? Are you talking overly tight trousers, somekind of disco-jeans? As I said, after a successful search for a saddle that works for me, I've been fine, riding in whatever I want. I've chosen BDU shorts/trousers because of the desired features that I mentioned, but, they are also not chafing me.

Last edited by Nyah; 10-10-22 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-10-22, 10:32 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts

So as the weather starts to cool down, I’m looking for your [affordable] alternatives to tights.

My commute is on a vintage road bike made to a single speed, usually around 15mph avg. It’s not a lolligagging kind of ride.

Suggestions?
I always buy tights with no chamois and wear shorts under. Gives you far more choices. (Including wearing just the shorts for the ride home,)
Old 10-11-22, 07:49 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
It's great that regular pants don't chafe you. If I wear regular pants while biking any distance (even loose BDU) , I will be in trouble. It's the seams that are the issue, even with chamois bike shorts underneath. I wish I had an iron butt, but that's just not the case.

What's chafing about trousers? Are you talking overly tight trousers, somekind of disco-jeans? As I said, after a successful search for a saddle that works for me, I've been fine, riding in whatever I want. I've chosen BDU shorts/trousers because of the desired features that I mentioned, but, they are also not chafing me.
Old 10-11-22, 01:05 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
It's great that regular pants don't chafe you. If I wear regular pants while biking any distance (even loose BDU) , I will be in trouble. It's the seams that are the issue, even with chamois bike shorts underneath. I wish I had an iron butt, but that's just not the case.
Wearing regular pants without chamois shorts is like sandpaper rubbing your thighs. At least for me. Even then I have to slap on a layer of chamois cream.
Old 10-18-22, 12:15 AM
b88

some men are even wearing tights to the gym

Ya and most people don't give those guys a second glance. Their forearms are the size of my thighs.
Old 10-18-22, 07:03 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by b88
Ya and most people don't give those guys a second glance. Their forearms are the size of my thighs.
too hot for me for indoor training. inside, I use trishorts as a moisture barrier, under gym shorts. I time my workouts so when I start to really sweat, I leave
Old 10-18-22, 09:09 PM
b88

too hot for me for indoor training. inside, I use trishorts as a moisture barrier, under gym shorts. I time my workouts so when I start to really sweat, I leave
I cycle at the gym when they are no classes scheduled. Have the entire room to myself most of the time.
Likes For b88:
Old 10-18-22, 09:47 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The center seam.
Old 10-19-22, 04:23 AM
rumrunn6

I have a pair of chrome pants as I wanted something I could work in and did not have to change. Plus I need something that holds up I have worn the crotch out of more jean pants. they block the wind and the rain on your legs. when it is closer to 32 then I use this guys. water proof and really warm. they kept my legs so warm my whole body stayed warmer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
got my pair. glad I sized up! also they are quite low waisted. I could never wear them w/o suspenders thanks to my "Dad bod". they are flexible & have a nice lining. lifting my legs in them, I don't think I'll use them for cycling. but Wifey has similar pants she uses on our winter walks so I'll wear these now. I was using my cycling pants w/ running tights under. I might also wear these for some snow cleanup tasks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.