Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Saddle clamp bolt stuck

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Saddle clamp bolt stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-22, 06:29 AM
bangozango

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Saddle clamp bolt stuck

Few days ago I bought a used bike and the condition was pretty new. I was trying to adjust the angle of the saddle but the bolt would not come loose. It's a single bolt clamp. First I took the seat post off, followed lefty-loose and tried loosening with my hands, then a hand drill afterwards but it would not budge at all.

I don't see any signs of rust/corrosion and I'm afraid of stripping the nut if I go any further. Another thing i noticed is a small shiny smudge on the seat post that I can't rub off, almost reminds me of smudged super glue, which makes me wonder if it was superglued on..

If I miss anything out please let me know, would really appreciate any advise! (Sorry I don't have permissions to post pictures)
Old 10-13-22, 06:33 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
@bangozango - Welcome to BF. Sounds like you went from bad to worse then asked for help! Common approach.
You can post pics in your profile in albums. Click your avatar then on "My Profile" and look on the right side there is a window for albums.
Old 10-13-22, 06:52 AM
bangozango

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@bangozango - Welcome to BF. Sounds like you went from bad to worse then asked for help! Common approach.
You can post pics in your profile in albums. Click your avatar then on "My Profile" and look on the right side there is a window for albums.
Thanks for letting me know! I've added the album ( it wouldn't let me paste the links or images in this reply.)
Old 10-13-22, 07:06 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Old 10-13-22, 07:07 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Welcome and please follow SJX426's coaching and if not clear mention the materials. Worst case, my guess you are dealing with corrosion, especially if around saltwater, with aluminum and a non-aluminum bolt. To break the electrolysis bond, which can be very difficult, you may need to expand the aluminum with heat. Aluminum is an excellent heat sink, you need a lot of heat to break the bond, I have used a propane torch.
Old 10-13-22, 07:12 AM
SJX426 

When you say "hand drill,0 do you mean that you used a drill with an Alan bit to try to "impact" the bolt?
There are number of "break free" penetrant solutions, Kroil, Liquid wrench, Freeze off, etc. Get a can and spray it if the heat doesn't work or isn't an option.

You could try using an Allen wrench and add a adjustable wrench at the end or a small pipe for a longer lever. Done this dozens of times with success. Worst case is the head separates from the bolt shaft, and everything falls apart.
Old 10-13-22, 07:27 AM
bangozango

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Welcome and please follow SJX426's coaching and if not clear mention the materials. Worst case, my guess you are dealing with corrosion, especially if around saltwater, with aluminum and a non-aluminum bolt. To break the electrolysis bond, which can be very difficult, you may need to expand the aluminum with heat. Aluminum is an excellent heat sink, you need a lot of heat to break the bond, I have used a propane torch.
Thanks to SJX426 I learnt how to add images, oh and I added more images, doesn't look like there's any signs of corrosion but it might be hidden away.

Originally Posted by SJX426
When you say "hand drill,0 do you mean that you used a drill with an Alan bit to try to "impact" the bolt?
There are number of "break free" penetrant solutions, Kroil, Liquid wrench, Freeze off, etc. Get a can and spray it if the heat doesn't work or isn't an option.

You could try using an Allen wrench and add a adjustable wrench at the end or a small pipe for a longer lever. Done this dozens of times with success. Worst case is the head separates from the bolt shaft, and everything falls apart.
Yes, you are exactly right, unfortunately I lacked the strength to keep the drill stable; it was the only thing rotating. Thanks, I'm not sure if I can get any of those here where I live, WD40 is the only closest thing(maybe), could give that a try with the wrench method. I hope I don't mess the bolt up
Old 10-13-22, 10:10 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I have had success with the SJX426 method also. Make sure the end of the allen wrench is pushed in all the way and fully seated then push and hold the allen wrench firmly in the head of the bolt so it won't slip and use a cheater pipe and pull. It will pop loose.
Old 10-13-22, 11:05 AM
bangozango

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
I have had success with the SJX426 method also. Make sure the end of the allen wrench is pushed in all the way and fully seated then push and hold the allen wrench firmly in the head of the bolt so it won't slip and use a cheater pipe and pull. It will pop loose.
The nut is loose! I took a break and tried again, with confidence from frogman as well. I had a old seat post lying around and used it as the cheater pipe, and sure enough after some heavy pushing it FINALLY moved. When it first moved I almost thought I rounded off the nut. Thanks, you guys are awesome.
Likes For bangozango: