Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Looking for gravel bike sub $1000

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 10-24-22, 12:58 PM
rlhamelj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm torn between the Poseidon X at the Poseidon website and the Motobecane Gravel x1 from Bikes Direct.
Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Former triathlete, then ultrarunner, now looking into some cruising on rail trails and the like.
Old 10-24-22, 01:34 PM
bh85

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Between those two, I would go with Poseidon X. It has Microshift 1x groupset which is pretty solid. I have had it on one of my builds, and it was super solid. Shifts great and shouldnt give you any problems. Motobecane Gravel X1 is a little cheaper but uses very basic groupset, that I don't think you would want. You might as well buy a used gravel/cx bike. Definitely go with Poseidon X if it fits your budget.
Likes For bh85:
Old 10-25-22, 05:30 AM
rlhamelj

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks so much for the info. Think I'll pull the trigger on it.

I was looking at State gravel bikes, but in many reviews I read the State brand groupset isn't up to par with what's on other bikes. Otherwise, I was looking at their bikes.
Old 10-25-22, 06:28 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
I've heard good things from owners of Poseidons.
Old 10-25-22, 06:30 AM
rlhamelj

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I've heard good things from owners of Poseidons.
Everything I've researched from owners has nothing but positive things, so that's a great sign.

Thank you!
Old 10-27-22, 12:21 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by rlhamelj
I'm torn between the Poseidon X at the Poseidon website and the Motobecane Gravel x1 from Bikes Direct.
Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Former triathlete, then ultrarunner, now looking into some cruising on rail trails and the like.
I have a Poseidon X, for the price it's a decent starter gravel bike. If you join the Poseidon FB owner group, most if not all slowly upgrade if not completely rebuild their bikes. I bought mine as a frameset only and built mine with GRX and 105 components. I'd recommend the X over the low end Motobecane gravel bikes, mainly due to ease of upgrading. The X has an integrated tapered head tube, easy internal cable routing and the ability to upgrade the QR setup to thru axle. Along the way you can slowly upgrade based on your needs and budget.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 10-27-22, 12:31 PM
rlhamelj

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I have a Poseidon X, for the price it's a decent starter gravel bike. If you join the Poseidon FB owner group, most if not all slowly upgrade if not completely rebuild their bikes. I bought mine as a frameset only and built mine with GRX and 105 components. I'd recommend the X over the low end Motobecane gravel bikes, mainly due to ease of upgrading. The X has an integrated tapered head tube, easy internal cable routing and the ability to upgrade the QR setup to thru axle. Along the way you can slowly upgrade based on your needs and budget.

Just joined the FB group. Thank you!
Likes For rlhamelj:
Old 10-28-22, 10:28 AM
pnwgopher

Bikes: Serotta Rapid Tour, 89 Paramount, AD Vent Noir, All-City Space Horse

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 37 Posts
If you're handy and don't mind not having disc brakes, many early 80's treks can fit 38s. Pair that old frame up with a modern-ish (9sp or newer) groupset, some gravel kings, and decent mid-reach dual pivot brakes, and odds are you'll be a happy camper with a budget-friendly sub-25lb build. not too shabby!
Old 10-28-22, 10:32 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwgopher
If you're handy and don't mind not having disc brakes, many early 80's treks can fit 38s. Pair that old frame up with a modern-ish (9sp or newer) groupset, some gravel kings, and decent mid-reach dual pivot brakes, and odds are you'll be a happy camper with a budget-friendly sub-25lb build. not too shabby!
I was going to suggest throwing drop bars on a lugged steel rigid mountain bike from the early 90's to get cantilever brakes and somewhat wider tires (but smaller wheels), but I like where you're mind is at.
Old 10-31-22, 08:41 AM
bh85

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I have built couple Trek Multitracks (700 and 750) with drop bars. One of them actually had Microshift Advent 1x9. I had Gravelkings 42's on it. They do fit big tires. I have some pictures on Hybrid bike forums on here under Trek Multitrack title. Its for people who get these bikes and show them off. Great frame to work off of, but you can spend some money if you do full restore.
Old 10-31-22, 10:00 AM
pnwgopher

Bikes: Serotta Rapid Tour, 89 Paramount, AD Vent Noir, All-City Space Horse

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bh85
I have built couple Trek Multitracks (700 and 750) with drop bars. One of them actually had Microshift Advent 1x9. I had Gravelkings 42's on it. They do fit big tires. I have some pictures on Hybrid bike forums on here under Trek Multitrack title. Its for people who get these bikes and show them off. Great frame to work off of, but you can spend some money if you do full restore.
also a great option! finding a frame with 130 or 135mm spacing makes it that much easier.