Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Torque spec for thread in cantilever boss stud

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-22, 01:14 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts

I have a Kenesis aluminum fork and steel M10 threaded cantilever brake boss studs. What would be a good torque value when installing?
Old 11-14-22, 01:17 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
WOW... Oddly this is a hard question... **********???
Old 11-14-22, 01:24 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I'm not sure but I am curious about differences in cantilever post length. Also, if the post is too long, I saw a Cyclus tool recently that "faces" the ends of cantilever posts down. Has anybody seen something like this?
Old 11-14-22, 01:25 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
Maybe the torque spec is attached to the brake and not the fork.

Barry
Old 11-14-22, 01:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Snug it down. If it loosens up, then tighten a tad more next time. Rinse and repeat as needed.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-14-22, 05:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5776 Post(s)
Liked 2,574 Times in 1,425 Posts
Short answer -- 8-9 nm dry or 6-7nm lubed*, but please read on before taking this as gospel.

Screw torque specs depend on the screw diameter, thread pitch, and material. Do a search for "metric screw torque specs" or similar and you should find the info you need. Note, that the torque spec are very different based on the actual material involved.

A better understanding comes from understanding how treads work. Screws stay tight through friction. The amount of friction depends on tension within the section from the last thread to the head. So proper torque is about tensioning that section of the bolt so it'll exert continued force on the threads. The ratio between torque and tension depends on the slope of the thread helix and the material friction.

Since it's about tension and elongation, the material is very important, and the published data will be the MAXIMUM for each material. What would snap a brass bolt, won't be enough to properly tension a high strength chrome-moly bolt. Working from that max. you might go lower if for example a high strength bolt is threaded into aluminum. So, assuming the folks who designed Canti brakes and the studs know what they're doing and spec'd tge right bolt size, you can use the published specs as a guide. Also consider things that might change the required torque such as lubed vs. dry threads, use of a traction compound of some kind, etc.

Using the above as a guide and understanding that it's about tensioning the bolt, you can let your hands guide you. As you tighten a bolt the torque will be low until it begins to bottom. Then it'll rise as you take up any slack and compress the assembly, rising still higher as the bolt begins to tension. At this point the torque will begin to rise very quickly as the bolt stretches, and you'll feel the "wall" . That's the proper tension, the bolt is under decent tension, but has plenty of room before snapping. That room is critical because the application can add load on then bolt, taking it from highly loaded to overloaded if you went too far.

FWIW- we shouldn't forget that folks have been tightening bolts for eons without special tools to measure torque, and except for critical applications we should be able to continue to do so.

*assumes typical commercial grade (60,000psi) steel bolt.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-14-22 at 06:19 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 11-14-22, 06:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Many of the removable (thus threaded into a welded on base) brake boss use a thread locking compound to add extra insurance from a boss loosening from its base. Andy
Old 11-14-22, 06:43 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by boneshaker78
I have a Kenesis aluminum fork and steel M10 threaded cantilever brake boss studs. What would be a good torque value when installing?
i'll assume you mean the brake Boss/Post,correct? most have just two flats to drive them with when torquing... this means only an open end wrench can be used... an open end 9mm is not very long... put a drop of Blue Locktite on the threads and tighten until your hand hurts a bit... Let the Locktite set up before installing the brakes.

most of these that i've removed are Tighter than the hubs of Hades... i've Spread/ruined a 9mm trying to get one out in the past.... it was in a steel frame and Old.. Let the Blue Locktite do it's job. FBinNY quoted a brake arm retainer bolt torque specification for a 6mm metric fastener, Not a Mounting post spec. Remember that you are mounting the post into Aluminum so going insane on the torque will NOT be good... is it a Coarse thread? It should be, going into aluminum...

So.. A drop of Blue Locktite, put the post in Tight but not Crazy tight... then let it set up overnight.
To guess at a torque spec, i'd say 15 lb/ft... 20N-m

Last edited by maddog34; 11-14-22 at 06:58 PM.
Likes For maddog34: