Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Forks

Old 05-10-23, 12:16 PM
DooberD

Bikes: Bianchi Brava, Schwinn Crosscut, Miyata 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Forks

Had anybody recently purchased a carbon fork? Does anyone know of any screaming deals right now? Building up a 2013 State Undefeated frame. Color is not important, just price. Going for a budget build here. Looking at the Hawkeye Lite for $98 but would like to go even cheaper.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-10-23, 06:28 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
Personally, I don't like going cheap with carbon, especially forks. Doing a faceplant at 20+ mph ain't fun.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 05-10-23, 07:34 PM
DooberD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What’s your definition of not cheap? Any recs?

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Personally, I don't like going cheap with carbon, especially forks. Doing a faceplant at 20+ mph ain't fun.
Old 05-10-23, 07:56 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by DooberD
What’s your definition of not cheap? Any recs?
You probably won’t find a quality name brand carbon fork under $200. Any of the forks sold here are good safe choices >>> https://www.retro-gression.com/collections/forks

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 05-10-23, 07:58 PM
DooberD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
cheers!

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
You probably won’t find a quality name brand carbon fork under $200. Any of the forks sold here are good safe choices >>> https://www.retro-gression.com/collections/forks
Old 05-10-23, 08:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Yeah don't go cheap on a fork, keep the fork that comes with the bike or get a good quality fork. If I wanted cheaper Ritchey comp would be the choice. The fork I went for on my Langster was a Whisky fork and it is fantastic, not cheap but good quality and lower cost for a quality fork with a good name.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-12-23, 10:22 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Instead of worrying about high or low price carbon you should be looking up the offset/rake, AtoC specs on your bikes' stock fork to see what you can find that comes close to matching it. That Hawkeye Lite tells you all about itself. Good luck...
Old 05-16-23, 03:43 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Sometimes you can find a good deal on a used fork, but be wary that they can have damage not visible from the outside.

On my track bike, I have a Pinarello Onda carbon fork (from a Dogma road bike originally). It was listed on a local online classified website. I went to inspect it, and the seller explained to me its history and why he was selling it. He had a very good story, so I trusted him. It has turned out great for me. No problems whatsoever. The fork would probably sell for $500 or more new, if you could even find one. I think I gave him 200. Of course, I had already done my homework and understood the fork's dimensions/geometry, headset standard, and characteristics.

This doesn't help you at all in your particular situation. I only share it to illustrate that good used parts are sometimes available... and that it's important to know what you're looking at. If you don't have a reasonable level of expertise, forks are not something to experiment with.
Likes For Broctoon: