Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nishiki/Shimano Twist Shifter 7 Speed.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-23, 10:08 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts

The shifter was frozen between 5-7. I marked where the cable was held at the derailleur and untightened the screw then removed the shifter to see if debris was causing the problem. Actually the shifter began to twist as designed and the cable is being pushed or pulled by the shifter. However, the derailleur does not move even though the cable is moving back and forth. My question is, could the derailleur be stuck or damaged. There is actually a protective cover that I removed so I could work on the bike, so no visible damage that I can see from a direct hit.

When I take up the slack on the cable, the shifter is stuck. When I loosen the shifter click seven times.

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-22-23, 10:52 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
With the cable detached from the RDER, pedaling should allow the RDER to shift to 7th aka the smallest cog.
Or just grab the cable & pull while pedaling and it should go to 1st aka Biggest cog without issue.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-22-23, 11:00 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Did you just get this bike? Could be someone turned the stops on the derailleur. If you had it working before and it just started doing this then I'm not sure what it is.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 05-22-23, 11:12 AM
Chuck Naill

Originally Posted by curbtender
Did you just get this bike? Could be someone turned the stops on the derailleur. If you had it working before and it just started doing this then I'm not sure what it is.
I actually was thinking about this, but since I just got the bike for my grandson last year, I assumed the adjustments were where they need to be. I will give that a try. Thank you.
Old 05-22-23, 11:13 AM
Chuck Naill

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
With the cable detached from the RDER, pedaling should allow the RDER to shift to 7th aka the smallest cog.
Or just grab the cable & pull while pedaling and it should go to 1st aka Biggest cog without issue.
Thank you.
Old 05-22-23, 04:21 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I actually was thinking about this, but since I just got the bike for my grandson last year, I assumed the adjustments were where they need to be. I will give that a try. Thank you.
You might ask the grandson if he was practicing being a bike mechanic.

You didn't mention which brand shifter, but if the bike is a Huffy, the shifters were pretty much junk.
If they are Shimano or SRAM, your chances are better, but any part can still fail.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-23-23, 05:14 AM
Chuck Naill

You might ask the grandson if he was practicing being a bike mechanic.

You didn't mention which brand shifter, but if the bike is a Huffy, the shifters were pretty much junk.
If they are Shimano or SRAM, your chances are better, but any part can still fail.
I mentioned in the OP these were Shimano. Thank you. I doubt he was, but maybe a dropped bike.
Old 05-23-23, 11:29 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

I mentioned in the OP these were Shimano. Thank you. I doubt he was, but maybe a dropped bike.
Sometimes I forget to look at the title.....
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-24-23, 06:19 AM
Chuck Naill

Sometimes I forget to look at the title.....
No problem, Bill.

I took the bike to the shop I use, they corrected the problem. The mechanic said there was a lot of play in the cable. He adjusted the cable barrel screw. I learned something valuable. The shop refused to charge me a dime.

Last edited by Chuck Naill; 05-24-23 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 05-24-23, 11:35 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
No problem, Bill.

I took the bike to the shop I use, they corrected the problem. The mechanic said there was a lot of play in the cable. He adjected the cable barrel screw. I learned something valuable. The shop refused to charge me a dime.
I'd guess that someone tried to "shift" the gears while the cranks were not being rotated... this puts an incredible amount of stress on the cable, and eventually it slips in the clamp on the Derailleur, or the shifter breaks.
glad to hear it was the slip and not the break alternative.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 05-25-23, 06:32 AM
Chuck Naill

Originally Posted by maddog34
I'd guess that someone tried to "shift" the gears while the cranks were not being rotated... this puts an incredible amount of stress on the cable, and eventually it slips in the clamp on the Derailleur, or the shifter breaks.
glad to hear it was the slip and not the break alternative.
Last evening when I took the bike back to my grandson, I told him what you said. This is his first multi speed bike. I believe you properly diagnosed the problem. Thank you.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 05-25-23, 03:50 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Last evening when I took the bike back to my grandson, I told him what you said. This is his first multi speed bike. I believe you properly diagnosed the problem. Thank you.
you are welcome, sir... any time.
Likes For maddog34: