Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wine red 1985 Panasonic Sport LX mixte

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-23, 10:47 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts

Picked this up a few days back for $120, selling my Dahon EDP3 with broken spokes for $40 the day after. I wanted to get a replacement for my yellow Panasonic that's my size and that has alloy wheels for stopping in the wet. A decent quality mixte frame also appealed to me for the ease of mounting. I think the frame is 18" and straight gauge chromoly with a hi-tensile steel fork based on the 1985 Panasonic catalog. The catalog doesn't list the weight, but I would guess it to be 28 lbs. It has what looks to be chrome handlebars and a chrome seat post, along with 12 speeds, Shimano Z501/AX50 rear and front derailleurs, Dia-Compe brakes, and a Sugino crankset with chainguard. The last owner also threw on some new tires (Continental TourRide) and tubes. Definitely low to mid-range but feels pretty nice and solid. My first order of business will be raising the seat and taking it on a test ride tomorrow. My second order of business will be replacing the front derailleur cable.

If anyone is familiar with this bike, further information would be greatly appreciated!

Likes For molleraj:
Old 03-16-23, 04:45 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Nice bike, looks to be in great shape! It's got Chromoly tubing, and that's a good thing. The fact that it has new tires is good; that's the first thing that often needs replacing on old bikes. At some point you'll probably want to repack the bottom bracket, headset, and hubs, but see how everything feels, just ride it and enjoy. It's hard to pass up a good mixte!
Likes For PugRider:
Old 03-16-23, 06:13 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Lube rear brake cable especially where loop collects water
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-16-23, 10:39 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Originally Posted by PugRider
Nice bike, looks to be in great shape! It's got Chromoly tubing, and that's a good thing. The fact that it has new tires is good; that's the first thing that often needs replacing on old bikes. At some point you'll probably want to repack the bottom bracket, headset, and hubs, but see how everything feels, just ride it and enjoy. It's hard to pass up a good mixte!
Thank you! That's great. Indeed regarding the tires - I've had to recently replace some old Paselas worn down to the woven threads. I'll definitely repack the BB, headset, and hubs, hopefully at some point not too long in the future. It feels great so far, especially after raising the seat post high enough. I just need to get adjusted to the gears. It feels a bit sluggish on inclines I think because I didn't shift into a low enough gear. I thought the cassette made a difference, but I think it's still 52/40T front and 28-14T rear based on the 1985 Panasonic catalog.

Last edited by molleraj; 03-16-23 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-16-23, 10:40 PM
molleraj

Originally Posted by dedhed
Lube rear brake cable especially where loop collects water
Nice, thanks for the tip! Will do. Tomorrow I will do that and install a new front derailleur cable.
Old 03-17-23, 04:00 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Nice bike @molleraj . Panasonic builds good bikes and I particularly like this type of "mixte". I'm using the term loosely because we bike forum member can get our feathers ruffled when talking about mixte. This is only because there are variations on the theme. Panasonic did some good paint colors and yours looks to be in excellent shape. Having seen your postings before, I know you will ride that all over the DC metro area.

You may want to get some "P" clamps from a hardware store to mount the rack to the seat stays better. On a some frames you need to bend the rack's attachment brackets to make the rack level. Or have a local bike shop do that before they get busy.

It looks like you were in good C & V company at the bike rack.

Good luck with your new acquisition.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 03-17-23, 06:14 PM
molleraj

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Nice bike @molleraj . Panasonic builds good bikes and I particularly like this type of "mixte". I'm using the term loosely because we bike forum member can get our feathers ruffled when talking about mixte. This is only because there are variations on the theme. Panasonic did some good paint colors and yours looks to be in excellent shape. Having seen your postings before, I know you will ride that all over the DC metro area.

You may want to get some "P" clamps from a hardware store to mount the rack to the seat stays better. On a some frames you need to bend the rack's attachment brackets to make the rack level. Or have a local bike shop do that before they get busy.

It looks like you were in good C & V company at the bike rack.

Good luck with your new acquisition.
Thank you! I love the deep maroon color as well. I was thinking of mounting the rack to the seatpost bolt. I will just need to adjust the long brackets to stick out just far enough.

The other two C&V bikes are mine as well. The red Peugeot is my commuter, while I keep the yellow Panasonic at work for quick after work rides. I was planning to replace the yellow Panasonic Sport Deluxe with this maroon Sport LX mixte because it's my size, chromoly (vs. butted 1020), and has alloy rims that are safe when it gets wet.

Will definitely post photos of this bike cruising through the DMV :-)
Old 03-18-23, 05:45 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 415 Posts

A little rubber boot can help keep the cable clean
Likes For daverup:
Old 03-25-23, 10:24 PM
molleraj

Now up to 35 miles on this steed and pretty impressed with it. I did a bunch of work before taking it for some short (6-10 mile) test rides, including adjusting the seat, installing a bottle cage, replacing the front derailleur cable, adjusting the brakes, and setting up the rack to be mounted to the seatpost bolt (which required drilling larger holes in the rack support arms). I then mounted some panniers I bought from a friend, which I ironically enough used to pick up a free Panasonic phone system on one of my short rides. After that I went ahead and overhauled the bottom bracket and front hub, which weren't too bad at all. I plan to also replace the brake pads, repack the rear hub (once I buy a Shimano freewheel remover) and headset, and replace the rear solid axle with a quick release axle.

The ride quality is far better than expected and on par with my Schwinn Le Tour and Peugeot P8. Not only does it absorb bumps and offer the compliance I've found in chromoly frames, but it has also proven nimble and responsive in handling. Either the frame material, geometry, tires, saddle, or all these things, or other things still must make the ride so comfortable and fast. I bet this will be a wonderful touring bike and great for rides on the C&O Canal towpath.

Bottle cage added and rear rack properly attached

New front derailleur cable

Stainless steel M5-0.8 bolts added with nylon locknuts on rack

Rack with panniers affixed

Endless cherry blossoms along Dorset Avenue in Somerset

End of the Capital Crescent Trail in downtown Bethesda

In Medical Center station on the way home

Wheaton Shopping Center

Forest Glen Park near Silver Spring

More blossoms along the eastern branch of the Bethesda Trolley Trail near the NIH

Last edited by molleraj; 03-26-23 at 08:19 PM.
Likes For molleraj:
Old 03-29-23, 06:43 PM
molleraj

Had some more nice rides now with some commutes thrown in. Super comfortable, easy shifting, and faster than expected. The next orders of business are replacing the bent rear axle with a QR axle, repacking the rear hub, and adding in bar end lights. I'm really loving this bike. I think I will have to sell the yellow Panasonic after I hit 1000 miles on it because it's way too big, where as this is the perfect size.
Likes For molleraj:
Old 03-29-23, 06:57 PM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by molleraj
Had some more nice rides now with some commutes thrown in. Super comfortable, easy shifting, and faster than expected. The next orders of business are replacing the bent rear axle with a QR axle, repacking the rear hub, and adding in bar end lights. I'm really loving this bike. I think I will have to sell the yellow Panasonic after I hit 1000 miles on it because it's way too big, where as this is the perfect size.
Hey neighbor! Chatted with you not so long ago on another social. The new whip looks great! I've got some miscellaneous older bike parts I'd be happy to pass along, particularly for 27" bikes, if you're in need. No charge of course; all you'd need to do is grab 'em. Let me know if you're interested!
Likes For nick_a:
Old 03-29-23, 07:01 PM
molleraj

Originally Posted by nick_a
Hey neighbor! Chatted with you not so long ago on another social. The new whip looks great! I've got some miscellaneous older bike parts I'd be happy to pass along, particularly for 27" bikes, if you're in need. No charge of course; all you'd need to do is grab 'em. Let me know if you're interested!
Hello hello! Oh ha, nice! Thank you! I would love to grab those parts. I will DM you. I am interested! Thanks so much.
Old 03-31-23, 09:24 PM
molleraj

Just added a new rear QR axle and this thing really flies now. I had an excellent commute and ride up to Aspen Hill today. It just needs bar end lights, a non-drive side dropout spacer, and a headset repack. Perhaps repacking the pedals too, if I can open them up. Pics coming up next...
Old 03-31-23, 09:36 PM
molleraj

Photos from my ride to and from Aspen Hill today.

Warnings in the NIH

Food truck parked in Aspen Hill. Ugh, I want pupusas, haha.

Nice sustainable transport mural in Twinbrook.
Old 03-31-23, 09:41 PM
molleraj

Successful replacement of the old bent rear axle with a new QR axle - this took a few tries and a washer to get the skewer clamping down properly. I also got the serial number identified as 5G04011, dating the bike to July (G) 1985 (5).

Old bent solid rear axle. The nuts get hard to remove near at least one end. Good riddance.

Rear view showing QR skewer

Drive side side. Note the washer between the QR nut and the derailleur hanger.

Non-drive side. Note the serial number.

Another view right on the non-drive side.

Shimano MF-Z012 6 speed freewheel. Flushed with WD-40 and then lubed again with motor oil. Spins great.
Old 03-31-23, 09:46 PM
molleraj

Scenes from some nice NW and NE DC neighborhoods I visited on Thursday. I've now put 113 miles on the bike.

Washington Latin Public Charter School in Brightwood Park

Phlox near Fort Totten

Michigan Park Christian Church in Michigan Park

Taylor Street bridge in Brookland/University Heights

Catholic University of America in Brookland

Alethia Tanner Park in NoMa/Eckington

Bombay Street Food in Adams Morgan

Marie Reed Elementary School in Adams Morgan
Old 05-27-23, 10:51 AM
molleraj

I'm excited to share that I recently passed 520 miles on the saddle of my Panasonic mixte. It's riding smoother, faster, and higher than ever thanks to tightening the stem shifters and replacing the saddle with a better quality Avocet gel saddle I picked up locally. Can't wait to pass 1000 miles! I included some photos from trips to Rockville and Potomac.

Lone Oak Center on the east side of Rockville, MD

Junction of Falls Road and MacArthur Boulevard in Potomac, MD

New Avocet Spenco Gel saddle
Likes For molleraj: