Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Vegan double toe straps?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Vegan double toe straps?

Old 08-09-09, 06:28 PM
RoboIsGod

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Vegan double toe straps?

Getting a pair of all city double toe clips and am looking for double toe straps that are not made of leather. Suggestions?

Also, would it be possible to just use a single strap with double toe clips?

Thanks!
Old 08-09-09, 06:39 PM
time bandit
¡Senor Member!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nylon and yes.
Old 08-09-09, 07:25 PM
RoboIsGod

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
I'm looking at the synthetic leather Wellgo double toe straps. can anyone attest to these?
Old 08-09-09, 07:42 PM
Overwhelming
Overwhelming Undertaking?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vegans may be silly, but I have nothing bad to say about those toe straps.
Old 08-09-09, 07:55 PM
RoboIsGod

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Overwhelming
Vegans may be silly, but I have nothing bad to say about those toe straps.
Silly? What's silly about having good health, protecting the environment and not killing animals?

I ordered the straps, so we'll see how they do.
Old 08-09-09, 08:20 PM
nowitsshowtime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
since when is eating animals bad for your health? and a mcdonalds burger doesn't count as eating an animal.

good luck on your search.
Old 08-09-09, 08:29 PM
destikon
FNG

Bikes: Raleigh Special * Nishiki MTN Winter Commuter * Trek Soho 3 * Specialized Langster Seattle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vegan straps?!? that's funny.
Old 08-09-09, 08:29 PM
Overwhelming
Overwhelming Undertaking?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am all for good health, but completely shutting out an entire food group that our body was meant to have seem silly in my opinion.

Although to each his own, and if you can be a vegan in a healthy manner than who am I to tell you otherwise.
Old 08-09-09, 08:42 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
all pedals are evil. steel has soul.

α
Old 08-09-09, 08:52 PM
PoN

Bikes: 1979 Nishiki International, 1989 Dahon folder, 1999 Nishiki Backroads, 2009 Dawes SST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd get more info if you are really interested in the proper diet for man as a species. It may mean life or death to you or someone you know. Raw/Vegan/Living food diets are curing lots of diseases... cancer, diabeties, etc. Your body has intelligent design and can cure, maintain, detox, and rejuvenate itself of most any problem, if it has the right building blocks to do it.

The horrible disease in our culture pretty much started when we all started eating cooked, processed, and packaged food.

Meat is only appropriate for carnivores... such as cats, dogs, some reptiles, etc.

Man's digestion is closest to fruit and leaf eaters like chimps and apes.

Milk is only appropriate for babies of the species its from. Cow milk is for baby cows. Human mother's milk is only appropriate for human babies, etc.

Keep an open mind... check it out for yourself. Go raw vegan for 30 days and see how you feel after you've detoxed.

For starters some info here...
https://www.living-foods.com/faq.html
https://www.living-foods.com/articles/
Old 08-09-09, 08:55 PM
Grand Machine

Bikes: 2009 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vegans of the world unite!
I feel a long thread coming.
Old 08-09-09, 09:05 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboIsGod
Silly? What's silly about having good health, protecting the environment and not killing animals?

I ordered the straps, so we'll see how they do.
You are not promoting good health or protecting the environment by purchasing toe straps made from synthetic materials such as Nylon. Manufacture of chemicals such as Nylon pollutes and poisons the environment and eventually introduces carcinogens into our bodies, which is bad for our health. So purely from that perspective, the use of natural materials such as cowhide is the best way to protect the environment and by extension our health. I agree that not killing animals should not be characterized as "silly", but it is a moral/ethical/religious belief of yours, and has no bearing on health.
Old 08-09-09, 09:15 PM
toosense
mogul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^+1, in for a never ending debate
Old 08-09-09, 09:23 PM
PoN

Bikes: 1979 Nishiki International, 1989 Dahon folder, 1999 Nishiki Backroads, 2009 Dawes SST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-1 for nylon for sure! Hmm... lets see some hemp double toe straps.
Old 08-09-09, 09:24 PM
RoboIsGod

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
You are not promoting good health or protecting the environment by purchasing toe straps made from synthetic materials such as Nylon. Manufacture of chemicals such as Nylon pollutes and poisons the environment and eventually introduces carcinogens into our bodies, which is bad for our health. So purely from that perspective, the use of natural materials such as cowhide is the best way to protect the environment and by extension our health. I agree that not killing animals should not be characterized as "silly", but it is a moral/ethical/religious belief of yours, and has no bearing on health.
Sorry, but the Wellgo straps are not made of nylon, but of Synthetic leather. In another thread similar to this one, it was posted what faux leather straps are made of, and that there is no petroleum based products behind them.

Raising cows for any sort of material is extremely taxing on the environment. Thousands of pounds of food is needed to raise them, thousands and thousands of gallons of clean water are used in raising cows, causing much pollution of water (#1 reasons fresh water sources are deemed undrinkable is because of exposure to domestic animal waste run off). 80-90% of all the corn/wheat grown in the USA goes to feed cattle. #1 reason why the Amazon rain forest is deforested each year is for cattle ranching land, and the #2 reason is for land to grow soybeans which almost 100% of it goes to cattle.

must i go on?
Old 08-09-09, 09:29 PM
LoRoK
a.k.a. QUADZILLA

Bikes: Super Pista, Basso, Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do vegans always have to prove how right they are? I've never met a vegan who just said, "to each their own."
Old 08-09-09, 09:31 PM
PoN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know about the syn leather Robo, let us know how they work! As far as factory farming causing excessive world hunger, rampant disease, and polluting/depleting the planet for profit... I wasn't going there yet, but I'm glad you did!
Old 08-09-09, 09:38 PM
PoN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because we aren't the only ones that loose LoRoK, we all do! There is only one earth.

The only way I see for the earth to recover is banning all combustion, and banning farming of animals. Worldwide of course on both counts...
Old 08-09-09, 09:43 PM
RoboIsGod

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LoRoK
Why do vegans always have to prove how right they are? I've never met a vegan who just said, "to each their own."
This isn't a matter of whose right or wrong, or whose more right. This was more a discussion of facts. Raising animals for food/materials is highly taxing on the planet, and that's the point I was trying to make. As long as the person understands all the repercussions of their actions, I have no problem saying"to each their own."
Old 08-09-09, 09:54 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboIsGod
This isn't a matter of whose right or wrong, or whose more right. This was more a discussion of facts. Raising animals for food/materials is highly taxing on the planet, and that's the point I was trying to make. As long as the person understands all the repercussions of their actions, I have no problem saying"to each their own."
+1 this.
Old 08-09-09, 10:11 PM
rrooster

Bikes: Motobecane Messenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PoN
. Raw/Vegan/Living food diets are curing lots of diseases... cancer
No. Take this from someone whose father has a Ph.D in biophysics and researches cures. This ain't one of them.

Originally Posted by PoN
The horrible disease in our culture pretty much started when we all started eating cooked, processed, and packaged food.
Maybe

Originally Posted by PoN
Meat is only appropriate for carnivores... such as cats, dogs, some reptiles, etc.

Again, no. Chimps and apes, for the record, are omnivores.

Originally Posted by PoN
Milk is only appropriate for babies of the species its from. Cow milk is for baby cows. Human mother's milk is only appropriate for human babies, etc.
No/maybe. I'll concede most cows used to produce milk probably don't live very happy lives.

Originally Posted by PoN
Keep an open mind... check it out for yourself. Go raw vegan for 30 days and see how you feel after you've detoxed.
You'll probably feel hungry, since most anthropologists will tell you that the reason we were able to leave the trees, while our ape-cousins were not, is because our sub-species discovered fire and implemented it to speed up the absorption of nutrients, thereby reducing the need for complex digestive tracts and redirecting the gained energy to our brains...

I can respect vegetarianism/veganism for moral arguments as a lover of animals, since my dad is one of those (vegetarian), but even he'll tell you that veganism for health reasons is a crock of crap.
Old 08-09-09, 10:13 PM
Samwiches
breasts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saving the planet by any means, or ourselves by diet, is something relatively new to us as a civilization. I for one don't believe we can pull it off.

I saw these nylon straps in a clear plastic cover/tube at the shop. Anyone know what those are, or if they're any good?
Old 08-09-09, 10:16 PM
pyroguy_3

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 1970's Miyata Liberty ala fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PoN
I'd get more info if you are really interested in the proper diet for man as a species. It may mean life or death to you or someone you know. Raw/Vegan/Living food diets are curing lots of diseases... cancer, diabeties, etc. Your body has intelligent design and can cure, maintain, detox, and rejuvenate itself of most any problem, if it has the right building blocks to do it.

For starters some info here...
https://www.living-foods.com/faq.html
https://www.living-foods.com/articles/

These references are not reputable. Please cite the supporting evidence as to how being a vegan is more healthy than not being one from a peer-reviewed journal or another acceptable scientific publication. I simply don't trust such a biased website to present accurate information. We're talking about people's health here so credible information is of utmost importance. Oh, and apes and chimps are omnivores which means they naturally eat meat. Humans are in fact 'designed' to eat meat. You can find many supporting references on google scholar, or most mammal-physiology texts.

I suggest seeing a dietitian if you're serious about vegitarianism or veganism.
Old 08-09-09, 10:21 PM
RubberDucks

Bikes: Kilo TT, Dawes SST, Giant Iguana, Sears&Roebuck Free Spirit(RIP)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
**** this saving the planet bull****... the planets gonna outlive humans by far... were trying to save our own asses.... but please....I love meat and animal products... but I don't question anyones choice to be vegan, vegetarian... so please don't knock me for eating a hamburger... nothing is more unappealing that a holier than thou attitude which I find so many vegans have.... Don't be like those people on the corner telling me that Jesus loves me....
Old 08-09-09, 10:21 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PoN
Just remember that one of the reasons people die of diseases like cancer these days is that they now live long enough to die from such diseases! Back when we lived more simply, people died at much younger ages and so we never had saw these diseases that kill people in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and beyond. Now we've managed to develop our societies in ways that have added decades to our life expectancy. We may have had those diseases all along, or we may 'create' them through the industrialization of society, but overall, we're still coming out with much longer lifespans than when we lived the simple life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.